Care for a glass of sima?
Apr 19, 2008 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Jaska

Headphoneus Supremus
For the last few days, I've been getting a bit of an early start on my sima drinking, and really getting a bit carried away with it. Sima is a homemade, traditional Finnish mead drink consumed around the time of Vappu (April 30), which marks the end of winter.

Here is what the finished beverage looks like:

Sima.jpg

The recipe for this fantastic drink can be seen here.

If you're in for trying something new and refreshing, I'd love to hear what you think about sima once you make some. It's difficult to explain how it tastes, but I think that anyone who likes the flavor of a lemony drink such as an Arnold Palmer, may like sima even more.

Apr 19, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 8
The recipe looks wonderful. I've just e-mailed it to my cousin and brother-in-law - we might have to brew a batch to see what it is you're enjoying!

Kippis!

Apr 19, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kippis!

Kippis!

I'm actually off to the refrigerator for some more ice and a sima refill. This will be glass #3 for this evening. Honestly, I love this stuff. Since it's a seasonal drink, I really try to only drink it at the end of April / beginning of May, but this year I had an early taste and can't seem to get back on the wagon!

Apr 19, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if only i had some yeast and a kilo of honey lying around

I took it upon myself to do some slight editing of the recipe, so now the standard batch size is 8 liters as opposed to 5, and a blend of brown and white sugar is called for rather than honey. The recipe is now more "authentic" than it was previously, and should provide better results.

One further note is that some sima drinkers like to have the lemon peels floating around in their drink, and others don't, so when the sima is ready, it may be poured through a fine strainer if desired.

Apr 19, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #7 of 8
Sounds interesting. I'm a homebrewer and a mead maker (I've won national awards for both beer and mead). I have some honey in the basement, I may give this a shot. I've judged a number of homebrew competitions and have never run across this beverage. I have had homebrewed sahti that was entered in a competition. It was good, although I have no idea how authentic it was.

Apr 20, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #8 of 8
Yes please!
Looking at the ingredients it sounds nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back