Cardas Smurf Cables for Senn HD-600
Jun 30, 2002 at 5:35 PM Post #31 of 36
As my evaluation and comparison continue....

It seems that the AKG K-501s still are able to convey the true emotion of the music better than the Cardas/HD-600s. I find it difficult to describe. There is some element of midrange detail that is still lacking from the 600s when compared to the 501s. Of course this is music dependent. The differences seem to stand out most clearly when listening to recordings of the female voice and with certain kinds of percussion. I can hear the texture of the drum head so much more clearly with the 501s. Stringed instruments as well. There's just so much more palpability with the 501s. There's no question that the Cardas cables have made a very significant improvement to the HD-600s, but I guess I can't throw away my 501s just yet. I am seriously contemplating sacrificing a Cardas 4/24 to attempt upgrading the AKG -K501 cable. Hey, we are talking about SOUND here and after all, it's only money...

Happy Listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2002 at 7:50 PM Post #32 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by robert
how's the plug situation with recent units? is fall out still an issue?

Mine have not fallen out nor have I lost sound in either speaker since attaching the Cardas. And I move around a lot when listening.

Jun 30, 2002 at 8:24 PM Post #33 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by kwkarth
I am seriously contemplating sacrificing a Cardas 4/24 to attempt upgrading the AKG -K501 cable.

Kevin, if you decide to do this, keep us posted on the method and results. This would probably be the only reason I would purchase the Cardas cable!

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2002 at 8:36 PM Post #34 of 36
I certainly will.
If I could only find little jacks that the senny plugs would fit into...

Jun 30, 2002 at 8:48 PM Post #35 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG
Kevin, if you decide to do this, keep us posted on the method and results. This would probably be the only reason I would purchase the Cardas cable!
smily_headphones1.gif

You are going to cut up a $150 cardas cable to use on a pair of AKG 501 that we all got new for under $100 retail recently at Musicians Friend?
confused.gif

Perhaps you will like your Senn 600/Cardas more if you upgrade ICs or AC cord for your Max amp, then all your cans will sound better. Ricky would not approve of any of these options........heh,heh,heh

Jun 30, 2002 at 8:59 PM Post #36 of 36
Crazy huh...
wink.gif
$80 AKG-K501s with $150 Cardas cables... Plugged into a $1700 headphone amp... go figgure!
wink.gif

When I upgraded to the Max, the Senns improved, but the 501s improved more. It stands to reason that the inherent weakness of the Senns will be there to some degree no matter what. I may as well take a chance on upgrading what so far has shown the most potential for outstanding performance, the 501s.

I am quite happy with the IC cables I'm using and the next step up from there is a BIG jump ($500/m).

The source I have is a real sleeper and few people know how remarkably good it is, so again, a step up is a big jump.. (a $4200 deck was not substantially better)

I haven't quite made the leap to appreciating power cable sound yet. Still outside the realm of my experience...

Poor Ricky...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back