Cardas Myrtle Wood Blocks
Oct 26, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #76 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by peelax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think all these threads degenerating into the same boring aruements is ridiculous. Although I agree with people like bigshot I think it would be nice to just leave these threads alone. There is nothing constructive gained by arguing, no one is convinced.

The point isn't to convince people who've proved many times in the past that they won't listen to reason. It's to make sure that a newbie doesn't stumble across this thread and think that the unsubstantiated mojo they're talking about actually works. The same three posters are adept at disguising themselves as a consensus and shouting down any opposition. As soon as they start to lose an argument they start fussing to the admins to lock the thread so they won't lose face. It takes someone as stubborn as me to keep them from turning this forum into magic land.

See ya
Steve

Oct 26, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #77 of 195
This thread is silly.

Some schmuck can easily go and create some sort of "issue" and then some sort of "solution" and people will pay huge sums for it.

EDIT:

And I'm with bigshot. Ridding these fallacies doesn't involve converting the believers, it involves educating people so they don't fall into the lies.

Oct 26, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #78 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Placebo is something that doesn't do anything, these products do and it can be heard.

You don't really understand what the placebo effect is...

You're somewhat right, it doesn't do anything, but it makes one think that something is happening.

I don't think this is correct, but try to think of placebo as a red herring...

Oct 26, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #79 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahmen!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just because you sceptics never listen yet judge something you don't know anything about.

People who actually used em, say thay make a difference in sound. I use other firbation reduction products and i can tell you that they make a huge impact on sound.

Placebo is something that doesn't do anything, these products do and it can be heard.

x2

Oct 26, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #80 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are also saying you don't understand the placebo effect?

By his ways, you shouldn't talk about something you don't know anything about.

Guess he should never mention it. Even though he experiences.

?
confused.gif

Oct 26, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #82 of 195
Quote:

The point isn't to convince people who've proved many times in the past that they won't listen to reason. It's to make sure that a newbie doesn't stumble across this thread and think that the unsubstantiated mojo they're talking about actually works. The same three posters are adept at disguising themselves as a consensus and shouting down any opposition. As soon as they start to lose an argument they start fussing to the admins to lock the thread so they won't lose face. It takes someone as stubborn as me to keep them from turning this forum into magic land.

See ya
Steve

OK then I'll wade in
smily_headphones1.gif

Just because you sceptics never listen yet judge something you don't know anything about./QUOTE]

How is it possible to go through life with that kind of attitude? You cannot try everything for yourself. You have to use something called common sense and I'm afraid my common sense tells me that putting wood blocks under my amp will not result in any difference in the sound, and that any difference I hear will be purely down to the placebo effect as my hearing is subjective. If having wood under pieces of audio equipment is that great then why aren't all audio manufacturers doing it? People always seem to forget how much work have gone on previously in audio equipment, doesn't it strike anyone as strange that people keep on making breakthroughs that will revolutionise your listening experience. People also seem to forget that there are far far far far more advanced pieces of electronics out there functioning perfectly, that aren't stuck on pieces of wood!

I never really understood how people got suckered into these rediculous things with no evidence backing it up ... before I came to this forum, its like a small part of the dark ages has survived.

Oct 26, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #83 of 195
When they're just posting two or three letter high fives to each other, I think they've run out of gas. It isn't easy to defend severely overpriced blocks of wood with nautilus shell designs on them.

If you need to put something under your cd player, find a couple of paperback books of similar thickness, or tape some soda bottle caps under the feet. It's always good to have adequate ventilation between components. Heat kills electronics. But you're fooling yourself if you think you hear a difference in your amp because of what you've put under it.

See ya
Steve

Oct 26, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #84 of 195
I have some of these Cardas wood blocks. They were given to me by NeilPeart because they were a convenient way to seperate the top and bottom halves of my Dynamight amp (which runs quite hot, like most class A amplifiers).

I didn't notice any improvement in sound with them, probably because I didn't expect to hear one.
smily_headphones1.gif
These are just pieces of wood, people. They don't even look particularly attractive (compared to, say, the wood used in the Dynaudio speakers I have sitting nearby).

But you know what...if I had to guess, I would say that the hockey pucks (also from NeilPeart) that I have sitting under the bottom section of the Dynamight have a bigger impact on sound than those wood blocks...let's hear the audiophile explanation for that!

Oct 26, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #86 of 195
These blocks works for me as well. Although I later upgraded to the tender foot, which gave me a little better bass fullness.

I was actually quite surprised that blocks of wood actually makes a difference
wink.gif

I always question the type of music those who can't tell the differences are listening to??

Oct 26, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #87 of 195
Quote:

I always question the type of music those who can't tell the differences are listening to??

Why would this matter? Do they not affect rap or country? If the blocks change the signal, wouldn't they change the sound on any type of music or speech? They should even change the sound of test tones for that matter.

Again, this stuff can be measured. If the signal does not measure differently (in your case the bass frequency), then what would your ears be hearing?

Oct 26, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #88 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would this matter? Do they not affect rap or country? If the blocks change the signal, wouldn't they change the sound on any type of music or speech? They should even change the sound of test tones for that matter.

Again, this stuff can be measured. If the signal does not measure differently (in your case the bass frequency), then what would your ears be hearing?

because synthesized sound and naturally produced sound have different harmonic contents; there are a lot more nuisances in the sound that's naturally produced. e.g. the sound of different types of wood/rosin/string in a violin, not counting the musician himself/herself

I did use the crappy radio shack sound meter to measure the difference. I got an additional 1db in the upper bass area without the cardas block (just a rough test). so the block didn't quite work for me, but the fact the block made a difference is pretty interesting.

Oct 27, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #89 of 195
peelax;3388165 said:
OK then I'll wade in
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Just because you sceptics never listen yet judge something you don't know anything about./QUOTE]

How is it possible to go through life with that kind of attitude? You cannot try everything for yourself. You have to use something called common sense and I'm afraid my common sense tells me that putting wood blocks under my amp will not result in any difference in the sound, and that any difference I hear will be purely down to the placebo effect as my hearing is subjective. If having wood under pieces of audio equipment is that great then why aren't all audio manufacturers doing it? People always seem to forget how much work have gone on previously in audio equipment, doesn't it strike anyone as strange that people keep on making breakthroughs that will revolutionise your listening experience. People also seem to forget that there are far far far far more advanced pieces of electronics out there functioning perfectly, that aren't stuck on pieces of wood!

I never really understood how people got suckered into these rediculous things with no evidence backing it up ... before I came to this forum, its like a small part of the dark ages has survived.

My experience is that most good players benefit from fibration reduction.

This hasn't anything to do with common sense but with real listening to all kinds of products of fibration reduction. Some don't have effect at all, some have small effect but good fibration reduction feet have quite an impact on the sound.

For me, dark ages is someone commenting on something he never tried out himself or listened to.

Without a testdrive , how do you know the car is performaing like you thought it would? Without listening to speakers, how do you know if they sound good?!

For me, i only go by my ears and nothing else. if i hear a difference then i am convinced.

Oct 27, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #90 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When they're just posting two or three letter high fives to each other, I think they've run out of gas. It isn't easy to defend severely overpriced blocks of wood with nautilus shell designs on them.

If you need to put something under your cd player, find a couple of paperback books of similar thickness, or tape some soda bottle caps under the feet. It's always good to have adequate ventilation between components. Heat kills electronics. But you're fooling yourself if you think you hear a difference in your amp because of what you've put under it.

See ya
Steve

Not thinking, hearing. No placebo, the difference was to huge for that.
But it isn't always for the good, you know. Some feet make sound worse, some better. it's trial and error to find the best for your setup.

The only thing i think feet work are under a cdplayer, not so convinced about amps and other components though. ofcourse speakers also benefit from good fibration feet. Tube amps might benefit from it though, not sure about transistor or fet amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back