cardas mini to mini , 14$ . It is worth ? or better to look elsewhere ?
Mar 31, 2006 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

boodi

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm having my imod shipped today ; I'm trying to guess if the 14$ cardas mini to mini between the imod and the supermacro can do it ( feeding alternatively hp-2 , ps-1 , sportapro , hd-25 and ksc-35 ) , or what else .

Mar 31, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #2 of 11
How much are you looking to spend is the question. For $14, the Cardas mini to mini is decent. For your setup I'd look to spend around $50 for a mini to mini. Maybe a Kimber mini to mini for $45 @ Headroom. Or go all out, get a RnB Black Diamond or Wyvern Ag-8 for ~$100.

Mar 31, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 11
If you wanted to go all out, then get the Wyvern Audio AG-16...

Apr 1, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #4 of 11
I know I'll get flamed for saying this, but I really think that going beyond the Cardas is unwise. Portable rigs can and do benefit from a decent cable, but only to some extent. I think the Cardas is the best price/performance choice, and is positioned right at the point of diminishing returns.

That said, audiophilia is mostly NOT about sanity or rational decision-making. I've had my own share of excesses in this regard. In the end, it's your money and your system. You will get a LOT of advice contrary to mine. So be it; at least try a few cables before buying if possible...
eek.gif

Apr 3, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 11
There are some terrific mini-mini cables available, and the prices range from a few bucks to maybe $200. While I'm certain that there are cables available that may be _different_, I'd hesitate to use the word _better_. I suppose it depends on your application, but I wouldn't spend $200 (or even $100 for that matter) on a cable to connect a $300 iPod to a $300 amplifier.

Keep in mind that the reason there are SO many cable assemblers in the market is because the barrier to entry is virtually nill. It requires little skill to put together a mini-mini cable that sounds just about as good as any other. To make a cable that is aesthetically pleasing, on the other hand, does take some practice and talent. Dress it up with some attractive sleeving, heatshrink, and beefy connectors and before you know it you're looking at ~$100 or more MSRP.

The only way I'd spend $100 or more for a mini cable is if it was a PocketDock with a mini cable hardwired directly to the pins using quadeutetic solder, individually heatshrinked at each pin, and secured to the exit hole with a cable gland/grip. I do not know of any current offerings that do this. The only hardwired docks of which I am aware are spliced to the internal wires, rather than directly soldered to the pins.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
In fact what I'd like to know is if the Cardas is on pair or close to 50/100/200$ mini to mini , or what else.

Apr 5, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #9 of 11
I used to recommend the cardas to anyone wanting a good cable, but now that the wyvern ag16 is out, if you can swing it, it's worth it...

Apr 5, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
I used to recommend the cardas to anyone wanting a good cable, but now that the wyvern ag16 is out, if you can swing it, it's worth it...

I don't think I could ever justify to myself spending $200 on a mini cable for a portable setup. That's as much as the Red Wine Audio iMod and many quality portable amps on the market. IMO the money is better spent there than on any interconnect. But people on here are pretty crazy so nothing would surprise me.
icon10.gif

Apr 5, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #11 of 11
I thought the Cardas was good cable for it's price, heck, it compared very closely to much more expensive cables I tried but the first one I found was a keeper was the RnB audio diamond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back