Cardas/Equinox Cable: Is it necessary?
Jul 14, 2003 at 8:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

davidmiya

500+ Head-Fier
I suppose that I would call myself an audiophile with bloated expectations and a thin wallet. I couldn't exactly afford an NAD source, so I opted for an Optimus CD3400 as part of my main rig. (I paid $125) Whether or not everyone thinks this was a wise choice for a source, I believe it definitely pays for itself because I can take it where ever I go (I can't use it while moving of course).

I also have a JMT Meta42 amp that use in conjunction with Sennheiser HD600's. Although this may not seem like the most minimalist system, trust me, it took almost a year to get the cash to buy all this stuff.

Anyways, I'm faced with the last upgrade option available at this level of audiophile-quality listening. THE CABLE. I really don't want to spend another $150 or $200 on extra cables if it won't make that much of a sonic difference. Basically, if I don't get a substantial improvement using a CD3400, Meta42 amp, Senn HD600 with upgrade cable, then I figure I might as well wait another year or so till I can afford an NAD source.

Given my budget/gear, does anyone has suggestions?

Jul 14, 2003 at 8:52 AM Post #2 of 16
If I were you, I'd save the money for a new source.

I've toyed with interconnects before (same as headphone upgrade cables I guess) - and from my experience, the sonic benefits that cable changes offer pale in comparison to source changes. The cable is not an active component in the chain, it can only preserve what the source equipment puts out.

Save the money mate, or spend it on some more music.

Jul 14, 2003 at 8:53 AM Post #3 of 16
I think that the money would be better invested in a new source.

While the HD-600 cables certaintly do change the sound, and you will notice a difference, i think longterm putting the money in a source is a better alternative

Jul 14, 2003 at 8:54 AM Post #4 of 16
I personally found a big sonic difference between the stock and the Cardas cable, for the better. I can't say much about upgrading the other parts of the chain (still saving up to upgrade from my CMOY and my Revolution to a dedicated CDP and better amp). I for one found the cable upgrade to be satisfying, although maybe I should have continued saving up for a cd player, but I got tired of saving
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2003 at 10:56 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

The cable is not an active component in the chain, it can only preserve what the source equipment puts out.

That actually makes a lot of sense. When I started reading the rave reviews about the various upgrade cables that were coming out, I must have forgotten to note the setups that the reviewers were using. Many were using multi-thousand dollar setups that included power conditioners, good sources, high-quality tube/solid amps, and good interconnects. Thus, with such a big "pipeline" (for lack of a better term). The cable had to be the ONLY bottleneck.

It's starting to make sense now. I orginally thought that the cable somehow managed to "transform" the sound into something it wasn't.

Thanks for clearing that up
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2003 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 16
The cable is necessary, but it is the last thing you buy, after every major component is the best you can make it.

Jul 15, 2003 at 12:34 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by MERTON
signalcable.com is good from what i read... and those grovers seem good... but signal cable so very cheap.

I think he's asking about the HD 600 cable, not IC's.

Jul 15, 2003 at 12:46 AM Post #11 of 16
While I think that the Sennheiser replacement cables (Clou, Cardas & Equinox) are all very worthwhile investments for your HD600's, I agree with the others regarding a better source. However, I might suggest a slightly alternative route.

The Optimus 3400 is tauted as a really nice transport. With it's coax digital output, it can be connected to an external digital/analog converter (DAC) and provide all the benefits that it affords, improving your source considerably. The oft-talked about ART DI/O DAC can be found new for under $100 these days. With a set of appropriate cables, you are still way under $200. You might even squeak in the power supply upgrade for that much.

I think that would give you the most improvement for your $150. After that I would definitely look into the Cardas or Equinox.

Just some ideas...

Jul 15, 2003 at 1:35 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

The oft-talked about ART DI/O DAC can be found new for under $100 these days. With a set of appropriate cables, you are still way under $200. You might even squeak in the power supply upgrade for that much.

That's an interesting idea. I think I might do some shopping for some of this gear.

Jul 18, 2003 at 6:46 AM Post #13 of 16
if you're on a budget and/or have low end to moderate gear i'd say pocket the cash or upgrade something else as the difference will either be non existent or subtle at best. Also consider the quality and/or type of recordings you listen to......no point in shelling out if they are bad to begin with.

Jul 18, 2003 at 3:43 PM Post #14 of 16
It also depends on the listener. To me, I found the stock cable to strangle the sound quality coming out of my HD600's, regardless of the source. (Or put it this way, I can hear a significant difference between the stock-cabled HD600 and the Cardas-cabled HD600, even out of the headphone jack of a low-end receiver.)

I feel like sticking with the stock cable instead of the cable upgrade is very much like sticking with wimpy 24-gauge or 22-gauge speaker wire instead of the recommended 16-gauge wire on a low-end 100-watt-per-channel receiver. And who would want to use such thin speaker wire with such a powerful receiver amp, given typical speaker-cable runs?

Jul 18, 2003 at 4:14 PM Post #15 of 16
IMO, aftermarket replacement cables for the HD600 are for people who already *love* the HD600 sound with stock cabling. If you're on the fence or unimpressed with the cans, no cable swap is going to turn them into an Orpheus for you. To me, it's throwing good money after bad, maybe better strategy is to plow that cash into another headphone.

In your case (I assume you like the HD600), based on your system, I'd have to agree with those who say forget the cable, put that money into a better source, that will be money well spent. The DAC idea is not a bad one for someone in your shoes who maybe doesn't want to save up the $400 or so it would take to get a nice budget player (which is really the best option, IMO but maybe too expensive). So, until you have a source at a level that will let expensive cables shine, I wouldn't worry about replacement cables.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back