Cardas Ear Speakers delayed but worth the wait!
Jun 18, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #437 of 453
BTW, if you guys don't think the Cardas are what I'm looking for, what IEMs would you recommend that are 'musical' and warm vs. neutral and analytical?

I love my EM5813 but an even better value might be the Audio Technica CKM55 (55). The 55 has a punchy low end with lush mids and a conservative treble presentation. So to me these might fit the bill nicely for under $100.00 too!

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #440 of 453

Just got my replacement set from darla and the team @cardasaudio. Thanks alot:grin:

Very nice! I haven't listened to my EM5813's in a while. It's time for a listening session with these beauties!

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #442 of 453
I have both babies:sunglasses:

Nice! I'm looking forward to the release of the 30th Anniversary Edition A8s. I wish that the 5813's got some special treatment too...

Oct 8, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #448 of 453
Cross posting this from what I added to an early review thread. Found this higher frequented thread later...

Bought this on a recent Massdrop offering... Figured I'd provide a few thoughts (not a review). This is with the provided foam tips, that i liked the most. Liked the sound of the big white stacked tips. Discomfort was what I imagine is early childbirth. I tried what I tough I'd like better, my ue900 tips. But surprisingly it squelched the treble more than the foam tips. And further did something weird to phase and frequency response.

- Incredibly efficient. Driven great from my Opus #1, no need for my Mojo or M9XX.

- That efficiency lends itself to being extremely sensitive. I never before realized the hum I'd get in my opus #1 when plugged in to power to charge the battery, with any other full hp or iem. I could even distinguish differences in the buzz of the hum from different 5v power supplies. And that sensitivity is readily available in response to the slightest musical stimuli.

- if I hated EQ, I'd really not like this iem. Not at all.

Maybe if I was young, and really cared for my hearing, the treble of this would be 'enough'. But by 18 I'd already caused my hearing some damage. 35 years later, certainly not better.

- Luckily I LOVE equalization. As does this iem. It responds very well to it.

My EQ is as follows. Any positive opinion is based on this in effect in my opus #1.

(I do not know if each division is 1db or 0.5db, or other)

Hz : Division
31.5 : -3
63 : -3
125 : -3
250 : -2
500 : -3
1K : 3
2K : 5
4K : 0
8K : 6
16K : 9

ForEach, plus or minus 1 based on the music or my mood. It certainly is never sparkly. But it sounds great.

- Hours of listening loud, with the treble boosted as stated, yet no ringing in the ears.

- Today, I spent a bit over an hour at Audio46, auditioning & comparing/contrasting the iSine 20 & LCD i4 (no EQ), with plans to buy one. I left the shop and plugged this Cardas in my ears. I expected to be thorougly dissapointed. I activated the EQ, and was actually very satisfied with the sound. All but the top octave that is. That was unexpected; a pleasant surprise.

While auditioning the Audezes I was wishing I didn't make a few impulse purchases from Massdrop including this, and spent it on the Audezes. But not so once I left the shop and listened to the EM5813 again (w/EQ tho).

Oct 8, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #449 of 453
I started using an alternate EQ curve that gets the treble closer to that of my UE900, while maintaining all the bass, midrange, dynamics & spacious qualities of the EM5813 that better the UE900 by a fair bit. It is here both to share for others to try, and to park for me to refer back to when I need it but forgot it (hehe).

Hz : Level
31.5 : -4 or -3
63 : -4
125 : -4
250 : -3 or -4
500 : -4 or -3
1K : 0
2K : 4 or 3
4K : -2 to 0
8K : 8 or 9
16K : 8 to 10

Last edited: