Cardas cable break in
Apr 14, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by fault151 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just made my self a cardas cable from all the cardas components for my hd600's. I can't imagine the sound changing that much, but i shall see!

how much did that cost you, how did you connect the cables to the plugs??

Apr 14, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by UseName /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your cables are glowing, you need a higher gauge of wire...

If you read it properly i refer to cable manufacture not my own cables...lol

Apr 14, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by onform /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how much did that cost you, how did you connect the cables to the plugs??

About £60-£70. I bought some sennheiser plugs off ebay. They come ready to solder on to any wire you like. They were £15 on their own, hence why it bumped up the price. I also made a 10ft cable. Normally the cable i made sells for £140, so not a bad investment on my behalf, if you like cables that is. :0)

Apr 14, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

If you read it properly i refer to cable manufacture not my own cables...lol

I read it fine... but this thread is about burning in a cable at the end-user level. Regardless, I don't see how oxidizing a cable would improve the sound.

Apr 14, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by UseName /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read it fine... but this thread is about burning in a cable at the end-user level. Regardless, I don't see how oxidizing a cable would improve the sound.

The point i was trying to make was, it is a term adopted from the manufacture of cables to explain a pshyco acoustic effect. There was no mention of oxidisation.

Apr 14, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #23 of 29
Stuff that can benefit slightly from burn-in...

Speakers: Definitely
Headphones and tubes: Almost certainly
Some solid state items like large caps in the signal path: Probably
Speaker or interconnect cable: Dream on.

Use high quality corrosion free conductor of the proper gauge and length with good connections at either end. The rest is a fairy tale.

Apr 14, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by oatmeal769 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stuff that can benefit slightly from burn-in...

Speaker or interconnect cable: Dream on.

where do you get this idea from - personal experience or something else?

Apr 14, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

The point i was trying to make was, it is a term adopted from the manufacture of cables to explain a pshyco acoustic effect. There was no mention of oxidisation.

Well... what do you think happens when you burn something?

Apr 14, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whether burn in happens is irrelevant. The cables work from day one, so listen to them and don't worry about break in. Go ahead, listen.

that's true.

but everyone i know who i consider to have substantial experience with audio equipment believes that cables burn in. and when people say that cables do not benefit from a period of break in or burn in, it makes me think they lack any kind of real experience testing and experimenting with equipment.

Apr 15, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... everyone i know who i consider to have substantial experience with audio equipment believes that cables burn in. and when people say that cables do not benefit from a period of break in or burn in, it makes me think they lack any kind of real experience testing and experimenting with equipment.

I'm not here to start a war, and those you know may believe it, but I must respectfully disagree. I'm doubtful you or anyone else can provide anything other than subjective or anecdotal evidence. There is not one shred of true scientific theory to back this up. If you and others hear it, then I believe you and your ears are better than mine, however science and I say otherwise.

Where do I get the idea? Well I suppose I can go and blow my own horn about what my credo's are, but essentially I'm an audiophile and music lover like everyone else here. I'm a recording and live musician, a live sound engineer, and have spent more than a thousand hours recording and engineering in recording studios. (not a whole lot, but enough...) I've heard some damn good stereo's in my life, and I owned a first generation Sony cassette Walkman, which was my first foray into serious music listening via headphones.

I use good quality cables, which does make a small but audible difference over crappy cables. I'm using Cardas on my headphones because it's good cable made with good connectors. For my bass instrument speakers, which are powered with 850 watts each at 4 ohms, I use very thick gauge Carol 3 conductor power cable from Home Depot. - Yes, Extension cord from Home Depot. The runs are only about 4 feet in order to keep damping factor high and resistance low. I also use separate cables for positive and negative. It is better than the 'OFC' clear stuff you find in speaker shops at 4 times the price, but only because it is thicker while still being good quality copper.

But breaking in copper conductor? Causing molecules and atoms to align properly? Reducing capacitance? - or is it flux capacitance... Poppycock. (LOL, I just said Poppycock...)

Apr 15, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's true.

but everyone i know who i consider to have substantial experience with audio equipment believes that cables burn in. and when people say that cables do not benefit from a period of break in or burn in, it makes me think they lack any kind of real experience testing and experimenting with equipment.

You probably need to meet more people. There are plenty of extremely experienced people that don't believe in cable burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back