Cardas cable break in
Apr 12, 2008 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

tubaman

100+ Head-Fier
How long will it take for a new Cardas cable to break in completely?
oh AND,
Can I leave the cable plugged in and play while the connectors are NOT connected to the HD600 to break it in? Is there any concerns this way? I just find it annoying to have a headphone playing while I don't listen.

Apr 12, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 29
Firstly, and most importantly, cables really don't need break in.

Next, if they did, you'd need something connected to them. Plugging them in without something connected to them would leave an open circuit, which wouldn't do anything.

Apr 12, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Firstly, and most importantly, cables really don't need break in.

IME, cables require the most amount of break in - more than headphones, amps, cd players.

Apr 12, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long will it take for a new Cardas cable to break in completely? oh AND, Can I leave the cable plugged in and play while the connectors are NOT connected to the HD600 to break it in? Is there any concerns this way? I just find it annoying to have a headphone playing while I don't listen.

i would say minimum 100-150 hours. and i would prefer to have the cable connected at both ends.

Apr 12, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 29
I found that my cables really shine right around the 22,000 hour mark.

Apr 12, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #6 of 29
here's an instructive story.

i recently purchased a new HD650. it is my second pair. so now i have two. my older pair has a tremendous number of hours on it. before listening or even using the new 650, i switched the stock cable with a balanced one, which had a decent amount of break in.

result: the new 650 sounded about the same as my old pair.

Apr 13, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
here's an instructive story.

i recently purchased a new HD650. it is my second pair. so now i have two. my older pair has a tremendous number of hours on it. before listening or even using the new 650, i switched the stock cable with a balanced one, which had a decent amount of break in.

result: the new 650 sounded about the same as my old pair.

The most obvious conclusion from that story is of course that headphones also don't need burn in.

Apr 13, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found that my cables really shine right around the 22,000 hour mark.

LOL. Were they dull up until 21,999 then began to shine or was it more of a gradual thing.

+1 for cables don't break in. Copper/silver strands of wire with electrons passing through them. No moving parts. What is there to "break in"?

Apr 14, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #12 of 29
The term burning in, reverts back to cable manufacture, some audio cables have had large amounts of current forced down them to the point where they are glowing this is said to change the crystaline structure of the cable apparently improving/ aiding the flow of audio signals. I dobt on the other hand a low level signal would serve the same purpose. Another case of snake oil im afraid.

Apr 14, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by UseName /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is nothing to "break" in a wire.

The term burning in, reverts back to cable manufacture, some audio cables have had large amounts of current forced down them to the point where they are glowing this is said to change the crystaline structure of the cable apparently improving/ aiding the flow of audio signals. I dobt on the other hand a low level signal would serve the same purpose. Another case of snake oil im afraid.

Apr 14, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by onform /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If your cables are glowing, you need a higher gauge of wire...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back