Cardas A8 review
Dec 23, 2015 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Todd R

Headphoneus Supremus
Received the A8 last week and were broken in for the recommended 50 hrs. 

Testing was done with a Calyx M player and a mixture of standard, high resolution and DSD files. My usual IEM’s are the much more expensive JH Audio 13 FreqPhase custom fit monitors.  

Certainly better suited for portable use than the first model (EM5813 ) I tried. The cable is much lighter and more flexible and not terribly microphonic (although they still should include a shirt clip to relive the weight and kill off any last bit of cable noise). I also like the ability to change out the standard  TRS cable for one of 2 balanced cables if needed. The earpieces themselves are a bit heavy since they are still metal, but once in your ears you don’t notice the weight at all. 

The A8 comes with 2 pair of small rubber tips a pair of larger rubber tips and a pair of Comply memory foam tips. I needed the larger tips or the Comply tips to get a seal in my ears. The Comply tips always make a great seal, but the problem I seem to have with them is some of the material ends up covering the driver opening, blocking the sound, so I used the large tips for my evaluation. 

First impression is strong bass and clear highs with a midrange that is a little on the recessed side. 

Listening to Vince Guaraldi Trio (you know, the music from Charlie Brown
redface.gif
) revealed bass that I'd never heard before, even through my much more expensive JH Audio phones. 

Soundstage width is impressive as I hear sounds not just between my ears, but outside the width of my head as well. Dynamic punch is also very satisfying. Airhead by Thomas Dolby was good and snappy with no lack of speed.

Keep in mind I'm comparing these $300 IEM's to my custom pair that cost $1100 and they aren't that far behind. 

Highly recommended!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back