Cardas A8 IEM
Aug 14, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #331 of 429
Borrowed A8 from Headfi buddy and am looking then quite a bit. When called for, bass is quite present and has good slam without intruding too much on mids. Mids are neutral to my ears, although my buddy might disagree with me on that. I blame it on listening to mid-centric IEM, lol. Highs are just present enough without being in any way bright or piercing. Overall, they're nicely balanced, musical and enjoyable sounding IEM.

Shells seem though as nails if a bit on the heavy side. Foamies lock them in place well. Ergonomics are good otherwise. Cable is thick but supple and non-microphonic. Color is down to personal preference. Personally, I'd prefer a great our black version, but in the end it's not that big of a deal.

Strongly considering buying a pair if that tells you anything...

Aug 16, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #334 of 429
spinfit for me
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #336 of 429
Well, I am a Cardas A8 member.  I've owned so many headphones in this tier that I've literally lost count.  Some of notable mentioning: DN-1000, DN-2000, UE900, IE8, IE80, FA-4E-XB, PFE232, K3003, ASG2, T-Peos H200, Heaven IV, Heaven VI, Heaven VIII, FX850, and etc.  The latter, the FX850, is usually my go-to fun IEM.  I've got the Westone bluetooth cable when necessary as well as a few others for it, and I like that it has a slight bit of openness to it.  I have the rear vents partially closed in order to maintain its spaciousness, but to also tighten up that bass a bit.
I always wanted to try the Cardas EM5813's.  I had been talked out of it by someone, them having said it was a "strange duck;" not bad, just a little temperamental.  I heard of the A8's release by happenstance, and learned that it nixed some of those pesky things of the EM5813.  I also happen to really like the cable junction at the base of the split.  I've actually purchased a cable for my CIEMs (Legend Omegas) that does precisely that.  One reason is that I'm also a "gadget guy," and I happen to be a fan of wireless options.  Although not quite as good for audiophile listening moods, I use a bluetooth amplifier that still can make phones sing:
https://amzn.com/B00JUGT1SC
With this combination, I can be wire-free, talking on the phone in the mall, then hang-up and back to jammin' the day away!

Enough of that, onto the A8's.  Having not heard the EM5813, I can't speak to improvements for Cardas.  Aesthetically, these are not as nice looking as the 5813's.  However, if you're like me, and blue is your absolute most-favorite color, then its not such a bad thing.  However, the golden look of the 5813's was really tempting.  The connections into the earbud are very solid.  I can tell that a great deal of effort has been made to ensure the buds stay attached for a very long time.  The disconnect at the Y-split is also an excellent form of strain relief as well.  If you're walking along and you scoot past something too closely, your headphone cable might catch on something (unless you're using bluetooth).  With traditional removable cables, your earbuds will still get ripped out, and its that crash onto the floor that's also damaging to the buds.  However, with this Y-split cable, the cord comes apart at the middle; keeping the buds in your ear and the male-to-male cable hitting the floor only. 
The box-opening ceremony was certainly not the best.  It was passable, and not the worst, either.  The case is a little small, but it looks impressive with a golden zipper.  The speaker nozzle will fit standard eartips, although you may have to stretch a little bit to get them on, because they seem a bit wider than typical.

SOUND:
I'm an electronic Mu5icJunky.  My genres are actually Chillout, Downtempo, Lounge, Turntablism, Trip Hop, Liquid DnB, Chillstep, some Melodic Progressive, etc.  I go for amazing, emotional music.  Check out di.fm for tastes of all the electronic sub-genres.

The sound has great soundstage and instrument separation.  Listening to michael Bijker's "Walk in the Woods," I hear sounds echoing off behind me and to the side for a great distance.  I'm also able to hear what sounds like a human sound sample mixed in with instrumentation at various parts.  It extends up, behind, and far to the sides.  The sound is much like a large auditorium while sitting 1/4 of the seats back from Center Stage.  You feel a little distant from sounds at times, and I think that's due to Mids.  Not a lot, but not as much like the FX850, which gives you the feeling you're in the front row.  As for instrumentation, I'm listening to Future Loop Foundation's "Sunshine Philosophy," and each synth, wave, high hat, and footstep is discernible.  So, these would work well for gaming, orchestral music, and even for doing some studio work, but you would not want this sound to end up being your final mix, as the sound isn't balanced evenly across the spectrum.

BASS
These would fit in a Bass-Fanatic's arsenal.  The bass is tight and deep.  On Martin Mittone's "Take Me (Rameses B mix)" the sub bass texture is felt and savored.  Yet, it most certainly doesn't drown out everything else going on in the song.  Vocal samples are clearly made out, synth landscapes and their harmonies are made visual without straining to listen.  Unlike the FX850, which despite doing a very good job of not drowning out even though its a bass monster, the A8's come off sounding much more balanced.  But, they are not balanced, as the Bass still drives them; as it should.  The upper lows, like the impact of snares and bongos as still elevated and clear, and the bongos have that 'pop.'  While I think the FX850's focus on the Sub Bass much more, the A8's get the sub-bass right AND the rest of the lows.  Listen to Edamame's "The Silver Lining" and "So Flows A Current" and give your butt a good thumping.  Wait, that just sounds wrong. It doesn't shake you down to your panties like the FX850 does, but the A8's play those lows and percussions beautifully.

MIDS
Next up, the mids.  While first listening to the the A8's, it was a big shift.  The MIDs were not velvet and popping at me with utmost realism like I'm used to with my Legend Omega's.  I listened to David Crowder's "O Praise Him," and I could no longer hear his breaths between verses.  It didn't sound with the same realism.  Accurate, clear, and present for sure, the mids will not stick out to you.  Of course, I'm very spoiled with Mid-Magic headphones like the Heaven VI and Heaven VIII, as well as the Legend Omegas.  The latter will sound like you are live, in front of him, only two feet away.  The A8's, on the other hand, sound like you're 3/4 of the way back from the stage.  Not nosebleed, and you can hear him just fine, but not as detailed.  But, put on a studio album and hear David Crowder Band and his voice comes forward a little better, but then again, the Legend Omega's sound that much better as well.  Meanwhile, the bass and kicks pop out in a very exciting way on the A8's, and that seems to all but make up for it!

HIGHS
So, where the mids are the weak point, if you even really want to call it that, the Highs are comparatively that much better.  My favorite highs of all are definitely on the FAD Heavens; crisp, clear, but never tiring.  The Legend Omega's have their weakest point in the high's.  The FX850's have elevated highs as well, but they sound, like, digitally amplified in comparison to the A8's.  The A8's highs sound genuinely crisp and sparkly.  Listening to no.9's "Found It" as well as David Crowder's "Everything Glorious," the A8's and the FX850 sound remarkably similar.  Again, its the "tightness" and clarity in the highs that has the A8's taking the FX850's.  The FX850 also has a sub bass, that in "Found It" starts to loom over the highs so much that its harder to see the highs in its shadow.  

COMPARE FX850 vs A8
Continuing on with the analysis using no.9's "Found It," the A8 delivers such a showcase on the sub bass.  The song is really hard since the lower bass note is nearly constant through the whole song, so if you've got any bleeding into other frequencies, you'll know it with that track.  The FX850, which I had often praised for rumbling so much without bleed all the sudden showed blood.  I was able to see it only because the A8 showed me what it sounds like to do it like a boss.  However, the sound was still exceedingly fun on the FX850, as were the other songs I listened to.  On Mrs Jynx's "Ice Pops," the highs actually started to be a little much for my ears on the A8's.  So for some, there could be a risk of fatigue, depending on the track.  For those that like highs, which I do in doses, then you won't shy from the A8's just for that reason.  They are in the category of the K3003's with the highs (with the balanced filter on).  But putting on Emancipator's "Greenland," the highs weren't in too much of a dose.  All in all, though, the A8's compare VERY close to the FX850, IMO.  The difference is a tighter and slightly reduced bass, crisper highs, and better punchiness in the A8's.  The clarity is also a little better.  Just stay away from tracks with an over-abundance of high's, and you can listen to them all day.  I went through Sizzlebird's entire "Imagine" album without any fatigue. But, try SizzleBird's "Midnight" and the FX850 plays the violin with such a realistic presence, that it makes the A8 sound a tiny bit foggy.  
They both can also be worn over the ear as well as straight down.  However, they both kind of awkwardly stick out when trying to wear them over the ear, so I'm more comfortable straight down so that I don't feel like I constantly have to adjust them.  
WINNER: neither.  Despite being very similar, they're still very different.  The FX850 is fun, live sound that (to me) never tires, while the A8 is more capable of being analytical.  It totally depends on what mood I'm in when picking between the two.  If I had to sell one, I'm unsure which one I would sell.  I already sold the FX850 once, but I missed it, so I bought it again.  I want both of them.  Of course, I want ALL headphones!

The A8's are an excellent buy.  They're built to last and are a brilliant combination of fun and analytical.  There's nothing that they do poorly, and there's quite a few things that it does best-in-class.  If you're a fan of the FX850's, FA-4E-XB, or PFE232's, you already know that you're going to like them.  If you're more into the Heaven series and are seeking a more balanced sound, then these may not rate as highly with you.  But, these are impossible to rate poorly by anybody.  They're awesome headphones no matter how you slice it. I'd say that, if anybody trashes on them, then they are not a real headphone connoisseur.  These are great headphones that are very competitively priced, so the value is great.  I really think that Cardas could've gotten away with bumping the price up to $400.  The reason they didn't is just because they have to battle in such a fierce market that isn't as familiar and comfortable with the name doing headphones yet. That, and the fact that they're solid blue and not much to look at.

My set-up on this review:
Lossless music
Aune T1 Mk2 tube amplifier with 6922EH bulb
Sony LL purple silicone tips
Tower PC

Aug 23, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #337 of 429
Welcome to club A8.  I think George really knows how to bring out the bass and emotional connection with his iems.  It may not be the most accurate, but I find them very engaging and musical.  I love both models.  They are easy to drive and sound great without additional amplification, but between the two, the EM5813 does have noticeable scalability, more so than the A8, IMO.  For classical, jazz, folk, live tracks, and especially female vocals, I reach for the EM5813.  For rock, alternative, and pop, the textured and visceral A8 bass has my head bobbing in no time. Between these two, I haven't the need for anything else.

Aug 23, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #338 of 429
Indeed.  These pop like none I've ever had before.  There's so many I'd like to try, that I can't say I'll stay with these for life, and I can't justify keeping them all.
I want to try the Dita Answer's, the IE800's,  I tried the SE846's already, and I actually think I like these A8's better.  Of course, a dynamic driver is yet to be replicated by a BA.  It seems like a single, high-quality dynamic driver headphone is making a comback.  For a while, it was like BA's, and seeing how many BA's you can stuff into a headphone.  That's why I'm really curious how these compare to the Dita Answer's and IE800's, because through that, I'll know how the Dita's sound like.

Aug 23, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #339 of 429
The Dita has always intrigued me, but in all honesty,  I've been sensitive of the prices these iems go for - along with everything else classified under "portable-fi."  For the price, the Cardas offer very good value.  It's sad that it's a very small fish in the huge pond of iems, and doesn't have nearly the distribution channel size.  I doubt that matters much to George.  I love his unconventional yet unapologetic approach to his iems. Hopefully, unlike the IE800 which from what I've read is notoriously faked, the Cardas iems stay in its true form and sound.

However, one of these I'll satisfy my Dita curiosity and determine if they sound anything alike to the Ocharaku models I've owned.

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #340 of 429
  The Dita has always intrigued me, but in all honesty,  I've been sensitive of the prices these iems go for - along with everything else.  For the price, the Cardas offer very good value.  It's sad that it's a very small fish in the huge pond of iems, and doesn't have nearly the distribution channel size.  I doubt that matters much to George.  I love his unconventional yet unapologetic approach to his iems. Hopefully, unlike the IE800 which from what I've read is notoriously faked, the Cardas iems stay in its true form and sound.

However, one of these I'll satisfy my Dita curiosity and determine if they sound anything alike to the Ocharaku models I've owned.

what ocharaku do u own?

Aug 23, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #341 of 429

Here's the A8's in my aforementioned bluetooth amplifier setup. Very discrete, comfortable, and convenient for on the go!

Aug 24, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #343 of 429
There is a crossover, 3.5mm right angle to 3.5mm straight cable between the Cardas plug and the unit.  I'm getting a 6" one, because that 3" doesn't give me much slack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back