Cardas A8 IEM
Jun 18, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #303 of 429
Because it's not admissible that a new iem with 2 weeks of use (less than 10 hours of head time) starts to get discoloration.
Common sense to me.

I'd go with that - had mine for a good few weeks with heavy rotation while I was writing up my review (and just enjoying the awesome sound) and never had that problem. Definitely something you should speak to Cardas about.

Jun 19, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #304 of 429
Mine have the same discoloration. Pretty sure it's body oils, the spots is benith where my finger is when I push them into my ear. I wasn't planning on flipping these so I don't mind, but yeah lot of money for such a blemish to happen so fast.

Still enjoying the sound thought!

Jun 27, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #305 of 429
I just got my pair of A8 in the mail this afternoon and I have to say I'm quite pleased with them! And this is coming from someone who's go-to iem has been the Etymotic er4s, which are quite different from these to say the least.

I really like the fact that they have great bass presence and overall "body" sonically, but also retain nice highs and are detailed while at the same time being extremely smooth.

I listen to a lot of singer/songwriter music, americana, classical, some contemporary jazz....I've been trying them out with different genres and will write more once I've had more time with them!

Jul 11, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #306 of 429
I've had mine for about two weeks.  I like the way that they sound (the low end is amazing!) and fit, but I'm annoyed by the discoloration. For $300, I expected more durability. I guess I should have done more research before buying.

As others mention, I do get a lot of handling noise from the cable.  I end up wrapping the cable over my ears, which helps, but it would be better if the cable was just a few inches longer.

These were an impulse buy and I have a bit of buyer's remorse.

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #307 of 429
these intrigue me...when i was at a local retailer, checking out the dragonfly red and mojo i saw
them hanging on a wall...and this retailer, who also carries the more $$$ JH series,
said the Cardas A8 were amongst his favourite iems.

currently i have the sony 7550
and incoming flc 8s (had to check out the hype).
any ops on how'd they'd differ in the sound signature please from the sony and flc?

Jul 12, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #308 of 429
these intrigue me...when i was at a local retailer, checking out the dragonfly red and mojo i saw
them hanging on a wall...and this retailer, who also carries the more $$$ JH series,
said the Cardas A8 were amongst his favouriteiems.

currently i have the sony 7550
and incoming flc 8s (had to check out the hype).
any ops on how'd they'd differ in the sound signature please from the sony and flc?

Not heard the Sony, but had the A8 and still have the FLC8S. The Cardas have a fuller sound than the Flc, with more meat in the bass frequencies (they actually gave my Aurisonics Asg 2.5 a run for their money in terms of bass quality and slam). Smooth and less sparkly up top than the Flc.

Signature of the A8 is more in line with things like the Audioquest Nighthawk if you have heard that, whereas the Flc is airier and a bit more liquid in the mids/vocals. Both are pretty special so depends which tuning floats your boat more I guess.

Jul 12, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #309 of 429
Not heard the Sony, but had the A8 and still have the FLC8S. The Cardas have a fuller sound than the Flc, with more meat in the bass frequencies (they actually gave my Aurisonics Asg 2.5 a run for their money in terms of bass quality and slam). Smooth and less sparkly up top than the Flc.

Signature of the A8 is more in line with things like the Audioquest Nighthawk if you have heard that, whereas the Flc is airier and a bit more liquid in the mids/vocals. Both are pretty special so depends which tuning floats your boat more I guess.

thanks...interesting thing on the FLC, however, is that you can tune the bass in so many way, I'm told.
so while not a basshead, I do love being able to pull out a bass guitar or kick drum...so i like a mix of both quantity but esp quality, i guess.

Jul 12, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #310 of 429
thanks...interesting thing on the FLC, however, is that you can tune the bass in so many way, I'm told.
so while not a basshead, I do love being able to pull out a bass guitar or kick drum...so i like a mix of both quantity but esp quality, i guess.

I'm not a basshead either, but I'd still give the A8 the overall edge on terms of quality of bass as well as quantity. You can fine tune the Flc far more in line with your personal preference, but it didn't quite have the final splash of body and presence compared to the A8 for me. The amazing lack of grain across the board on the A8 is pretty special as well if you like the overall tuning.

Jul 12, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #311 of 429
The bass response on the A8's is great.  I've been listening to a a lot of symphonies that I've listened to a bunch, but never really heard the double basses, timpani, contra bassoons, and bass drums with this much clarity and power.  Probably my favorite characteristic of these.

Jul 19, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #312 of 429
After rolling the stock, comply, and spiral dot tips. I ended up using the spiral dot.

Stock rubber- bad fit (for me obviously), no bass, kind of bright (especially when worn over ear)

Comply - best seal, meatiest bass, slight distortion that added nice character(beeswax guard probably), most rolled on highs, very top was missing and the rest of the highs were polite.

Spiral dot - second best fit, detailed! Highs are normal (hd 650 like with top end ever so slightly rolled), bass slams but doesn't smear

So tonality wise this is how I would relate them to headphones ( just tonality guys).

Stock - ether open back
Comply - lcd 2
Spiral dot - hd 650

Ymmv

Jul 19, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #313 of 429
can the cardas a8 be modded to detachable?

Jul 20, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #315 of 429
Should be able to☺

can the shell be dismantled though 
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back