Car Trouble Question for Car Experts (Camry)
May 31, 2007 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Icarium

Headphoneus Supremus
So lately I've been having an issue where when I try and start my car it like does so half heartedly like the engine rpm meter thing goes to about halfway as high as it usually does when I start my car and then it sputters dead. After like a few tries I can usually get it going sometimes I give it a little gas and that seems to help. Sometimes though right after I give it a little gas it temporarily is okay then immediately dies out. This has been happening more frequently.... any ideas? I asked a co-worker and he mentioned that it might be some belt thing? Drive belt alignment? Needs adjusting? How serious is this and how much might it take to get fixed.

Thanks.

May 31, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #2 of 28
The timing belt is somthing to check right off the bat. You dont really adjust that, you have it replaced. And it depends on if its chain or belt driven for how hard/pricey that is. It is a regular maintence item that needs to be replaced depending on what type of belt.

May 31, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 28
What year is your Camry?

I have a somewhat similar problem with my 2001 Camry LE. I noticed I had trouble starting the car up and the rpm is off its regular "spec". Last weekend, I had the drive belts replaced at a local oil change place (about $85.00 parts and labor....I was quoted $155.00 at a Firestone Autocare Center) and the problem is improving. My car has over 96K miles so the belts needed to be replaced anyway. I am thinking a tune-up will be next....

Edit: My timing belt was replaced by a Toyota dealer for $250.00 (I had a coupon
biggrin.gif
)

May 31, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by strungoutt1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im sorry this isnt much help. But for some reason I got a good laugh imagining you and all your great headphones and a lowly Camry. A lot of you guys here would invest sooo much of your money into headphones with a cheapo car.

Since when is a Camry a cheapo car? Maybe used
blink.gif
It may not cost the same as a loaded BMW, but last time I checked it was the same as other sedans in its category. You'd be surprised how many wealthy people don't flaunt their wealth with $100k cars. Even the most wealthiest of my relatives tend to be frugal with car purchases...one of the reasons they stay wealthy
biggrin.gif
Toyotas are known for being reliable cars...so it's no wonder that a lot of professional class people drive them IMO.

May 31, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 28
Drive belts wont cause it to not start or have a rough start situation (unless the alternator belt is missing). The timing belt can't be adjusted, and if it was broken the car wouldn't start at all. What year, how many miles, what size engine?
Without more info my first guess would be to replace the fuel filter.

May 31, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #7 of 28
Yes, I would start with replacing the fuel filter (in some cars it is by the fuel tank) and then the air filter (if 15,000 miles since last change). Then I would fill it up with hi test (93 octane) and ad a fuel system cleaner from STP or such. Lastly I would check the spark plugs to see they are in good shape and with the right gap. If the car is over 7 years old and over 100,000 miles check the spark plug wires to make sure the insulation is in good shape.

May 31, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #8 of 28
Yep, could be...

Edit: following supposes you do have fuel injectors, which nearly all cars have post '84 or so
wink.gif

O2 sensor

fouled injectors...mrarroyo is leaning towards with cleaning additives and to consume condensation in your tank, you would be suprised at how much water and contamination there is in some bulk storage tanks...

1.Fuel injector cleaner additive (STP product 1 pint per 10 gal)

Could also be the first signs of the ECM (computer black box control) going south

Without a service techs diagnostic gear and codes usually taken from the under dash panel, it's nearly impossible to know. There are some 17 sensors giving feedback to the ECM any one of which could be going south, most commonly the O2 sensor though....

But start with the fuel is of first order and easiest, IMO

May 31, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could also be the first signs of the ECM (computer black box control) going south

Without a service techs diagnostic gear and codes usually taken from the under dash panel, it's nearly impossible to know. There are some 17 sensors giving feedback to the ECM any one of which could be going south, most commonly the O2 sensor though....

QFT, without the diagnostics kit you're playing blind. You might also try changing the spark plugs/leads, but you'll probably save yourself money and time in the long run by taking it to a mechanic who has the gear and knows what s/he is doing, so it gets fixed right first time and not by a process of elimination.

May 31, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when I start my car and then it sputters dead. After like a few tries I can usually get it going sometimes I give it a little gas and that seems to help. Sometimes though right after I give it a little gas it temporarily is okay then immediately dies out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
O2 sensor

x2. The sensor might be off (Dirty or malfunction).

The engine stalls after started is indication of lack of one of the three (Fuel, air, or spark). When you give a little gas, it stalls, is another indication of flooded chamber. You've got fuel but no combustion.

Time for a professional diagnostic.
wink.gif
It's a nightmare to mess with electronic controlled engines.

Jun 1, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #12 of 28
A bad O2 sensor wont flood the engine. The ecm gets a switching signal from the O2 sensor, and then sets the mixture accordingly. If the O2 sensor stops responding the ecm will default to a rich mixture and activate the mil, but the mixture isn't so rich as to cause flooding.
We need much more information here, year, mileage, engine size, check engine light on, etc??

Jun 1, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since when is a Camry a cheapo car? Maybe used
blink.gif
It may not cost the same as a loaded BMW, but last time I checked it was the same as other sedans in its category. You'd be surprised how many wealthy people don't flaunt their wealth with $100k cars. Even the most wealthiest of my relatives tend to be frugal with car purchases...one of the reasons they stay wealthy
biggrin.gif
Toyotas are known for being reliable cars...so it's no wonder that a lot of professional class people drive them IMO.

thats true because my dad buys a camry. But I have to say wealthy people who buys toyota are not passionate drivers but very calculative, stingy consumers. They look at the chart ratings and look for the best value for $ car, deriving the best marginal utility to price ratio. Its also a great car to conceal your wealth because so many people has it. I like the fact its reliable, but hate the fact its ubiquitous because i had got on the wrong camry twice already.

Im quite surprised that camry has problems. is yours made in usa?

Jun 1, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #14 of 28
Bleah well thanks for all the help. I probably will take it to a professional toyota place I'm past due for my 60k maintenance. It's a 98 camry :/ Yeah I wouldn't spend more than I have to on a car. I am a terrible driver and hate driving. I'd prefer it if I had someone driving me wherever I'd need to go ;p

I don't think it particularly happens more often during hot days but definitely more frequent of late. It could be related to the heat though.
It's a v4 engine.

I had it checked out pretty recently within 6 months and a few things done to it. New transmission fluid/break pads and what not completely replaced. Tires replaced. I think they did suggest changing the air filter and I didn't.

Jun 1, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by strungoutt1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh I forgot to add. My dad restores classic automobiles (shelby gt500's, exotic rare 60's muscle cars etc)... but is pretty much a god of cars. And I live in the bay area, so If you ever get in a huuuge bind I could probably help. That is, if you dont mind bringing your cans so I can listen:p

Sure maybe if he wouldn't mind looking at it. I wouldn't mind doing a mini meet. I don't think it would be til July though as I am busy until then :/ Driving school lvl 2 amongst other things ironically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back