Car Trouble Question for Car Experts (Camry)
Jun 1, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #16 of 28
I doubt your problem is the O2 sensor considering on "cold" starts the O2 sensor is in open loop operation until everything warms up.

I agree with the others, take it in and get it checked out. If you start guessing at what the problem could be you might spend much more money than you needed to in the long run.

Jun 1, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #17 of 28
Well, given my headphone spending sprees as of late I don't know how much I can afford to work some fixes. Any chance the problem won't escalate if I wait a month or two ? ;p

Jun 1, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #18 of 28
Might have the throttle body cleaned out. Did it on my 95 camry and it did wonders...

Up yours strungoutt1.
mad.gif
I like my Camry.

And yeah... I had a 65 vintage burgundy Mustang that I had restored and I've driven a GT500 KR. Scratched off in every gear when I stepped on the gas.

Jun 1, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #21 of 28
I like boring cars! Well I hate cars in general. I talked to neilvg about what I may do for my next car. He said that Lexus's are the quietest and provide best isolation from road noises. A lexus + a good treatment from a company that does that kinda thing + a good sound system = win.

Jun 1, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like boring cars! Well I hate cars in general. I talked to neilvg about what I may do for my next car. He said that Lexus's are the quietest and provide best isolation from road noises. A lexus + a good treatment from a company that does that kinda thing + a good sound system = win.

Don't stop yourself from a Lexus, even if it's OEM sound system is Bose.
tongue.gif

Jun 1, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #23 of 28
You need to check for OBDII error codes stored on the engine computer. That will tell you right away if there is a sensor that is defective. Although... I think the "check engine light" on your dash should illuminate IF you have a sensor error.

My nissan quest van had a rough idle problem that turned out to be a faulty knock-ping sensor. I borrowed my brother in laws OBDII computer (just to keep the mechanic honest) to pre-diagnose the condition before taking it into the shop. In the end (literally) it turned out to be a $1100 repair.

Jun 1, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

I just bought my father -in laws 2002 lexus ES300, 50k miles for $10,000. Couldn't pass up on that deal. Its very quiet and a well made car IMHO.

Jun 1, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Wow... thats some high praise... from someone (Neil) who drives a current model audi sedan... S4 if memory serves me right.

Jun 2, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need to check for OBDII error codes stored on the engine computer. That will tell you right away if there is a sensor that is defective. Although... I think the "check engine light" on your dash should illuminate IF you have a sensor error.

My nissan quest van had a rough idle problem that turned out to be a faulty knock-ping sensor. I borrowed my brother in laws OBDII computer (just to keep the mechanic honest) to pre-diagnose the condition before taking it into the shop. In the end (literally) it turned out to be a $1100 repair.

Depends. Some sensors on the car will trip the SES light/CEL and throw a code, and some won't. I know for a fact that the knock sensor alone on Maximas won't trip the light (similar engine to the Quest), but if you pull the codes from the ECU it'll indicate that the KS went bad. KS should NOT be a $1100 job btw... on the VQ30 it's a 20 minute job but it'll bloody your hands up really nicely.

To the OP: the "engine RPM meter" is called the tachometer.
tongue.gif
But honestly this could be many different things... air filter, fuel filter, IAC, MAF sensor, fouled injectors, gunked up throttle body... the list goes on. Does it die while you're just driving along as well, or only when you first fire it up? Is it better if the engine is warm? If you could get a video or something of the event it might help the diagnosis... unless you just want to take it in to get it looked at.

May 17, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #28 of 28
What year is your Camry?
https://www.xeoto.com.vn/toyota/camry
I have a somewhat similar problem with my 2001 Camry LE. I noticed I had trouble starting the car up and the rpm is off its regular "spec". Last weekend, I had the drive belts replaced at a local oil change place (about $85.00 parts and labor....I was quoted $155.00 at a Firestone Autocare Center) and the problem is improving. My car has over 96K miles so the belts needed to be replaced anyway. I am thinking a tune-up will be next....

Edit: My timing belt was replaced by a Toyota dealer for $250.00

Users who are viewing this thread

Back