Car guys! First car help!
Feb 27, 2005 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 96

Zemo

500+ Head-Fier
Well, it's time for me to get a car! I've been talking with Thaddy, and couple other people I know, and I've more or less narrowed it down to 3 choices. If you could let me know what you'd pick, and why, or if you'd get something else (in this price-range), and why, it'd be appruciated!

trying to decide between the Mazda RX-8, Mistubishi Lancer Evo MR, or the Acura TL. My preference is in order of what I just listed...that RX-8 really gets my juices flowing!

I'm looking for a car that will be a blast to drive, and turn heads going down the road. I want to be able to stomp on the accelerator and feel my face melt as I'm pressed back into the seat.

Any input you could give would be much appruciated!

Thanks head-fi!

-Z

Feb 27, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 96
If you want to be able to stomp on the accelerator and feel your face melt as you're pressed back in the seat, go for a 2004 Cobra or something like an 02 Vette. None of the cars you listed provide particularly breathtaking acceleration, so if that's a big priority then you need to look elsewhere.

I'm personally not that impressed with the RX-8. From what I hear it lacks torque and is a gas guzzler. What about a 350Z? Those are nice, aside from the recalls...hopefully they'll get those issues cleared up.

We need to know your requirements and what you really want out of the car. 2 door? 4 door? Do you care about front or rear wheel drive, etc.?

Feb 27, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #3 of 96
I'm really not a car guy....4 door would be nice, and I havn't looked, but cobras and vettes would probably be out of my price range. The other cars I mentioned are at or below $30k.

And maybe I don't need my face to MELT, per say...I mean, I get the feeling in my buddies Subaru STi...

Feb 27, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #4 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zemo
I'm really not a car guy....4 door would be nice, and I havn't looked, but cobras and vettes would probably be out of my price range. The other cars I mentioned are at or below $30k.

And maybe I don't need my face to MELT, per say...I mean, I get the feeling in my buddies Subaru STi...

Well then let me ask you this...are you set on buying a new car, or are you willing to consider used? I'm sure you could get a low-mileage Cobra or Corvette for just under $30k. However, if you have to deal with any sort of snow, those cars won't be practical. Also, the cost of maintenance on the Corvette could be prohibitive. However, it would most definitely turn heads and would provide the acceleration you desire. The Cobra wouldn't turn quite as many heads, since many people don't know the difference between the $35k Cobra and a sub $20k V6 Mustang, but it will be even faster than your buddy's STi and maintenance costs won't be too bad. Heck, it would most likely have some factory warranty left.

However, if you're set on buying a new car and accepting the massive depreciation hit that will come with that, then the Cobra/Corvette/STi/350Z will have to be eliminated. You can get decent performance in a sub 30k car. What about a Subaru WRX (the STi's little brother)? It's a decent performer and practical in any type of weather conditions. It won't turn heads like an RX-8, but really...how big of a priority is it for you to have an attention getter?

Priorities for me are reliability and performance...not so much comfort and amenities. For reliability, I'd buy a Subaru before a Mitsubishi any day of the week.

Feb 27, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 96
Honestly, turning heads isn't that big of a priority for me. It'd just be nice, you know? The corvette looks too showey for me...I want something that's going to be a solid performer, and be reasonably practical.

If I was going to go for a subaru, I'd go for the STi.

And yes, I'm definetly willing to go used.

I live in Oregon, where it does snow from time to time.

How's the performance on the 350Z? I was looking at it until a buddy of mine mentioned it wasn't that big of a performer.

Feb 27, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #6 of 96
Just purchased a Scion TC for my daughter. While it won't give you that "punch" with the accelerator, it certainly fills the other requirements nicely. Around the $20K range with some goodies installed. While there the owner of the dealership offered his Z8 up for sale. From the look of it, I'd say it would fit your requirements to a T. Of course, at that kind of moola, I'd certainly expect it should!

Feb 27, 2005 at 2:45 AM Post #7 of 96
I recommend :-

Nissan 350Z
Mazda RX8
Caterham Roadsport (choose appropriate variation)
Ariel Atom
Lotus Elise
Mitsu Evo MR
BMW Works Mini Cooper S

You can forget about the Caterham and Ariel if you want practicality. My Roadsport SV has been under covers in London for more than a year now (uncle takes it out on sundays if it is not raining
tongue.gif
)

DUDE - Ford Mustang GT !!!!
eek.gif

kep_het_kep_03_03_ford_mustang_gt_coupe_concept_nagy.jpg

You gotta have american muscle dude!!

Feb 27, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #8 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zemo
Honestly, turning heads isn't that big of a priority for me. It'd just be nice, you know? The corvette looks too showey for me...I want something that's going to be a solid performer, and be reasonably practical.

If I was going to go for a subaru, I'd go for the STi.

And yes, I'm definetly willing to go used.

I live in Oregon, where it does snow from time to time.

How's the performance on the 350Z? I was looking at it until a buddy of mine mentioned it wasn't that big of a performer.

The 350Z is a decent performer. Not up to STi standards, but it'll take care of a lot of cars on the road. What I like about it, other than the styling, is that it offers decent performance in a vehicle that is both sporty and classy. It doesn't have the luxurious feel of something like a Benz, but it's definitely at or above the level of a Mazda or Mitsu. The only thing that would put me off from owning one are the recalls that I mentioned earlier. You can Google "350Z tire feathering" if you'd like to learn more.

If you didn't have to worry about snow, one of my top choices would be the 2005 Mustang GT. This isn't your typical Ford. The design team did a great job with the styling IMO, and it's an excellent performer for the price. You should be able to pick up a brand new one for under $30k, and at the moment they are turning heads due to being so unique. That may not be true in 3 years, though. The entire car has been redesigned and is a huge improvement over previous Mustangs. New chassis, a much refined suspension, 40 more horsepower under the hood from the 2004 model year, the list goes on and on. Ford really got their act together with this one IMO.

Feb 27, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #10 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Just purchased a Scion TC for my daughter. While it won't give you that "punch" with the accelerator, it certainly fills the other requirements nicely. Around the $20K range with some goodies installed. While there the owner of the dealership offered his Z8 up for sale. From the look of it, I'd say it would fit your requirements to a T. Of course, at that kind of moola, I'd certainly expect it should!

Looked at the Scion TC.....meh.

Looked at the Z8....WAY too much money! Thanks for the heads up though.

Feb 27, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #11 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
I recommend :-

Nissan 350Z
Mazda RX8
Caterham Roadsport (choose appropriate variation)
Ariel Atom
Lotus Elise
Mitsu Evo MR
BMW Works Mini Cooper S

You can forget about the Caterham and Ariel if you want practicality. My Roadsport SV has been under covers in London for more than a year now (uncle takes it out on sundays if it is not raining
tongue.gif
)

DUDE - Ford Mustang GT !!!!
eek.gif

You gotta have american muscle dude!!

Caterham Roadsport (choose appropriate variation) - not practical
Ariel Atom - not practical
Lotus Elise - too showey/not practical
BMW Works Mini Cooper S - hmmmm....
Mustang GT - hmmmm.....

Feb 27, 2005 at 3:11 AM Post #13 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
[size=medium]MAN, BS-FERRARI BEAT ME TO IT! CURSES![/size]

Hey, at least he has good taste though!
biggrin.gif

HEH!!
eggosmile.gif

Other options :-

* Honda S2000
* Used Corvette (or new if you can afford one...)
* Shelby Cobra - not too practical
frown.gif

Remember - your first car is your chance to make a statement to this world. My first car (bought with my own money) will be the equivalent of a current Ferrari F430 or a Lamborghini Gallardo
wink.gif

Yeah...long wait for me
tongue.gif

But i'll have the Caterham in the meanwhile
tongue.gif

Feb 27, 2005 at 3:22 AM Post #14 of 96
I got to drive the S2000's when I worked at dealerships in High School, and it was a blast to drive. A lightweight car that tops out at like 9K RPM = fun! However, way to small to be a daily driver, at least for me. I'm 6' and had the seat all the back to give my legs some breating room, and it's a manual too
frown.gif

Zemo, don't forget to factor in prices for gas. The 'Stangs are really fun to drive, especially with all that torque, but it's a thirsty horse
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back