car-fi
May 20, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #1,021 of 1,421
I'm not sure how the R8 and lambo would do against each-other around a track, but I think most people would find the R8 much easier (intuitive) and fun to drive. It felt more balanced and precise than the gallardo to me, but I had limited time with both of them. There is no question that the 458 is MUCH faster than both though, especially around the track rather than in a straight line. It is just in a whole different league. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to go racing (and can afford it). It is a race car. The other two cars are more at home on the street if you ask me (though the shifting of the 458 is so much nicer (faster AND smoother) than the other two cars that it is better on the street in that respect). 

I own an E39 M5 actually which is a naturally aspirated V8. It makes 400 hp and close to that in torque. The beauty of the car is the way it makes the power. I played with an E9x M3 at Sebring a few months back and was pulling on him if that gives you an idea of what the older M5 can do. The newer V10 and even newer turbo V8 versions are totally awesome too, but I prefer this beast for its raw character. I've driven the V10 (E60), but not the new twin turbo V8 (F10). I hear they are a blast when uncorked a bit (software upgrade and then exhaust change to get rid of that crap exhaust note that it has in stock form). I'd love to own one when prices come down in about ten years. 

Here are a few videos from my M5. One is chasing that E9x M3 around Sebring and the other is racing my friend's turbo'd E30.

May 20, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #1,022 of 1,421
Quote:
I'm not sure how the R8 and lambo would do against each-other around a track, but I think most people would find the R8 much easier (intuitive) and fun to drive. It felt more balanced and precise than the gallardo to me, but I had limited time with both of them. There is no question that the 458 is MUCH faster than both though, especially around the track rather than in a straight line. It is just in a whole different league. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to go racing (and can afford it). It is a race car. The other two cars are more at home on the street if you ask me (though the shifting of the 458 is so much nicer (faster AND smoother) than the other two cars that it is better on the street in that respect). 

I own an E39 M5 actually which is a naturally aspirated V8. It makes 400 hp and close to that in torque. The beauty of the car is the way it makes the power. I played with an E9x M3 at Sebring a few months back and was pulling on him if that gives you an idea of what the older M5 can do. The newer V10 and even newer turbo V8 versions are totally awesome too, but I prefer this beast for its raw character. I've driven the V10 (E60), but not the new twin turbo V8 (F10). I hear they are a blast when uncorked a bit (software upgrade and then exhaust change to get rid of that crap exhaust note that it has in stock form). I'd love to own one when prices come down in about ten years. 

Here are a few videos from my M5. One is chasing that E9x M3 around Sebring and the other is racing my friend's turbo'd E30.

Thanks for the vids, really enjoyed them!! Your M5 can really accelerate :O. And yeah, I'm starting to agree with you that the 458 is a better car overall than the gallardo. It's too bad the murcielago is not in production anymore (heard it was discontinued in 2010). That car was a killer!

May 20, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #1,023 of 1,421
Quote:
Thanks for the vids, really enjoyed them!! Your M5 can really accelerate :O. And yeah, I'm starting to agree with you that the 458 is a better car overall than the gallardo. It's too bad the murcielago is not in production anymore (heard it was discontinued in 2010). That car was a killer!

You'd definitely agree if you drove it. I always thought the same way. I thought Ferraris were overrated, but the 458 proves that it isn't the case at all. The murcis definitely were very cool and the sound was beyond belief in person. I've never driven one, but I'm sure they're quite fun. 

May 20, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #1,024 of 1,421
Quote:

You'd definitely agree if you drove it. I always thought the same way. I thought Ferraris were overrated, but the 458 proves that it isn't the case at all. The murcis definitely were very cool and the sound was beyond belief in person. I've never driven one, but I'm sure they're quite fun. 

Lol I heard one when I was at Fort Lauderdale Beach in Florida (I live in Montreal btw), and the sound got the whole crowd looking. Wow it's insane.The grunt of that V12 is crazy, and LOUD. It's a shame it's not in production anymore :/

May 20, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #1,025 of 1,421
The Murcielago is still my favorite Lambo.

I'd love to own a lambo or ferrari or any nice expensive car one day. For now though, Im stuck with a Jeep Patriot...free at least thanks to my job.

May 20, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #1,027 of 1,421
Yes, #444, deposit made.

No talk about the MP4-12C? Not as much fun factor as the 458, and not as surefooted as the R8, but it's the best handling car I've ever driven. If you turn off all the electronic nannies, it can scare you.

May 21, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #1,028 of 1,421
I'd talk about it, but I have no knowledge of that car at all let alone experience with it. I would imagine it could be scary. I got a scare from my M5 today driving in the rain with the traction control off. It was brought on intentionally, but I got a little more sideways than expected in second and then third gears 
redface.gif

May 21, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #1,030 of 1,421
Getting on the list is easy, just sign up early and have money in hand, they won't turn away cash, unless they feel that you're only buying it to flip (which I'm absolutely not doing). I actually ordered red, rosso corsa, with red leather and black alcantara, and an extra set of ultra light wheels with P Zero Corsas for the track.

My issue was trying to order a 458 spider, but I got in a little too late and they wanted a boot full of money to cut line, or I'd have to wait until 2015. So instead of the drop top 458 I ordered the 12C spider and bought a pre-owned 458 coupe, couldn't be happier with that choice so it all worked out.

May 21, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #1,031 of 1,421
Getting on the list is easy, just sign up early and have money in hand, they won't turn away cash, unless they feel that you're only buying it to flip (which I'm absolutely not doing). I actually ordered red, rosso corsa, with red leather and black alcantara, and an extra set of ultra light wheels with P Zero Corsas for the track.

My issue was trying to order a 458 spider, but I got in a little too late and they wanted a boot full of money to cut line, or I'd have to wait until 2015. So instead of the drop top 458 I ordered the 12C spider and bought a pre-owned 458 coupe, couldn't be happier with that choice so it all worked out.

That's awesome. You should take some pictures when you take delivery.

May 21, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #1,033 of 1,421
It's likely at least a year away, although I'm on the list I'm nowhere near the top.

May 21, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #1,034 of 1,421
Quote:
I'd talk about it, but I have no knowledge of that car at all let alone experience with it. I would imagine it could be scary. I got a scare from my M5 today driving in the rain with the traction control off. It was brought on intentionally, but I got a little more sideways than expected in second and then third gears 
redface.gif

lol cool. Your M5 is really loud (Can tell from the videos)! And yeahh, it was really scary, like a lion roaring.

May 21, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #1,035 of 1,421
Scare factor depends on the car, how they're setup, what type of stability and traction control they have, if any. Older supercars, like the F40, have amazing amounts of mechanical grip and are shockingly nimble (even more so now, with new tire tech) , but within reason. After a certain point they will try to hurt you if you take liberties with them, and RMR platforms like to bite the hardest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back