car-fi
Nov 12, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #856 of 1,421
Any sporty daily driver alternatives to the M3, with an auto gearbox? (Car would double as second family car, parents hate stick)  Top runner right now is the 2006-08 TL, but I keep reading contradicting reports, some people noting numb steering, etc. This is more speculative, since I won't be able to afford a car until I'm 60.

Nov 12, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #857 of 1,421
Quote:
Any sporty daily driver alternatives to the M3, with an auto gearbox? (Car would double as second family car, parents hate stick)  Top runner right now is the 2006-08 TL, but I keep reading contradicting reports, some people noting numb steering, etc. This is more speculative, since I won't be able to afford a car until I'm 60.

Mercedes C32 if you want a newer benz or a merc C36 if you want something older? God I wish I can drive one of them...

Nov 12, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #858 of 1,421
I've seen a clk 55 for 8,000 a while back.  I regularly see 2004 volvo s60 r's available for under $10,000 on ebay.  Volvo v70r's are cool if your ok with having a fast awd turbo wagon.  Older audi's are a good deal.

Nov 12, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #859 of 1,421
Would the maintenance and insurance on those cars kill me? I try to stay Japanese, but all the good ones get stolen in my hood.

EDIT: Perhaps such a thing isn't possible, can't have it all.

Nov 12, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #860 of 1,421
Quote:
Would the maintenance and insurance on those cars kill me? I try to stay Japanese, but all the good ones get stolen in my hood.

EDIT: Perhaps such a thing isn't possible, can't have it all.

Volvo's are SICK... The 850R is such a sleeper... There are plenty in Automatic and they will keep up with WRX's. The 850R will pretty much demolish anything that is front driven IMO.

Nov 12, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #861 of 1,421
Saabs are right up there with the volvos, safe but so much fun although they are FWD, but they can still hold there own and are fantastic on the highway.  Once you get going in the higher gears they really put you back into your seat all while getting great MPG.  For something sporty look at the Saab turbo X, it is AWD and has TONS of power (280HP) for a small four door car and gets good MPG.

Nov 13, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #862 of 1,421
Saabs are quirky and a lot of guys like them. I personally don't, but I can see the appeal. Volvos can also be fun and they built a really great engine in the 90s. Pretty much anything with a turbo can be made pretty fun with almost no work. A 50 hp increase is just a software flash away. If it were me and I really had to have an auto (I wouldn't) I'd look into a GTI with DSG. It is nearly the fun, and to a greater extent, the control of a manual, but can be used by the unfortunate folks who can only or only want to drive automatics. Chip it and gain 50 hp and 50 ft*lb torque at least and they are a TON of fun as a relatively inexpensive, economical car (30+ highway mpg with a chip).

Nov 13, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #863 of 1,421
I think he's on a budget? I'm not too sure what the limits are, but from hearing how he doesn't live in such a nice area and worried about his car, something like a volvo would be perfect in my views. If he got a M3 as intended, I think it would be a thief magnet

Nov 13, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #864 of 1,421
He is talking about an 06-08 TL, so a GTI of that age should be right about in the budget. As far as theft is concerned, why would you worry about that if you have insurance? Unless you have a unique car, as in something which is very difficult to replace, I don't see it being something to worry about. It would sure be a shame to get an auto M3 though. I can say with certainty that an E36 M3 wouldn't be any fun without a manual.

Nov 13, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #865 of 1,421
If you are worried about theft that much maybe you should build up an old volvo 240 turbo....   You should be able to find one for a couple grand, they can be made incredibly fast. They are available as a wagon or sedan, are practically indestructable, usually last for 300,000+ miles, and look like a brick. They ae also rwd and have a lot of room in the engine bay, this combined with the simpler engine designs of the 80's make them relatively easy to modify. You can pull an easy 400+hp from the stock bottom end, or you can say screw it and mount any engine you want in there.  Anything from Chevy LS1's, BMW v12s, SR20det's, 2jz-gtes, to RB25/26det.  All of those engines have been swapped in there before... Just about anything will fit in there.  The possibilities are endless.  They even have full tubular race suspensions available with a little research.

Just add mods and stir.

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #866 of 1,421
I think Saabs and Volvos are both great cars although they do have there own little issues, but there is a reason they have such a strong following.  I am in the process of tuning my Saab 9-3 and can say it is extremely fun to drive something that no one expects to be fast, always fun when your at the lights next to a ricer.  That Volvo 240 is pretty insane and I never knew how much HP you could get from them out of the stock engine, might have to be the next car when the Saab dies, but that day is either really far away or very soon, 231K miles on it and nothing has been replaced besides the fuel pump at the 200K mile mark.

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #867 of 1,421
Stock internals...  :D   You definitely won't get that power without some bolt ons and tuning work.   But the insides of those engines are stout.  

Its kinda like my Buick Regal GS. Forged internals and 8.5 compression ratio  from the factory.  A down-pipe and a superchager pulley gets you to 300 crank horsepower for about $250. Add an exhaust, air to water intercooler, even smaller pulley, and tuning to reach 400hp.   Add a turbo kit with a giant turbo to reach absurd numbers. By keeping the S/C and adding a massive turbo the S/C will spool it for low lag. 

With the volvo you would probably need to free its breathing, add boost, and fuel, and tune it.  For 400hp you'd be looking at a new turbo probably as well.  A volvo forum would tell you what you need.

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #868 of 1,421
My Saab was fairly easy to take it from 185HP to 265HP with an ECU remap, a new exhaust system and air filter, turbo charged cars always seem to have a lot of potential and there engines are built to take the additional power from a tubo which is probably why they last so long.

Nov 13, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #869 of 1,421
Quote:
I've been reading up bimmerforums, and even they state that their cars are a bit less reliable (the e46 more than the e36), and are more costly in maintenance/repairs due to sub-par build quality from the factory. Is no true?

They would probably have more of an idea than most of us. I've never owned a BMW so I cant really say but once the e36 start dying out I will be trying to pick one up.
Quote:
... Just gotta watch out for the M models as they probably have been abused here and there (come on, it's an M car). 

This.
Quote:

Quote:
Saabs are quirky and a lot of guys like them. I personally don't, but I can see the appeal. Volvos can also be fun and they built a really great engine in the 90s. Pretty much anything with a turbo can be made pretty fun with almost no work. A 50 hp increase is just a software flash away. If it were me and I really had to have an auto (I wouldn't) I'd look into a GTI with DSG. It is nearly the fun, and to a greater extent, the control of a manual, but can be used by the unfortunate folks who can only or only want to drive automatics. Chip it and gain 50 hp and 50 ft*lb torque at least and they are a TON of fun as a relatively inexpensive, economical car (30+ highway mpg with a chip).

I agree with loxxrider on this. Or if the newer models are out of your price range look for a mk4 GTI or Jetta they are a dime a dozen right now and are selling for pretty cheap. What kind of price range are you working with? and what year car are you looking for?

Side Note: that volvo vid made me miss my old car. Those c30's are pretty nice from what I have seen.

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #870 of 1,421
At most 25K, preferably less. I keep considering the low-end, find myself a nice beater. But I'm no mechanic, and as I mentioned theft rates for older Japanese cars is very high. They're replaceable with insurance, it's just time and money lost. So better to get something newer and well, nice.  If I wait 20 years, maybe I can find a E90 M3 in that range. :D I'm not getting a car right away, only research for when the time comes.

EDIT: I'm once again looking at the last gen TSX and TLs. Best value for my needs, even if they don't particularly stand out in anyway. Plus the money saved would go to a (far) future E90. Or not, anyone driven both Acuras? I'd prioritize fun factor and driver feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back