**Car Cans...need help**
Feb 11, 2012 at 8:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

MattTCG

Headphoneus Supremus
I do quite a bit of traveling five days a week via car. A lot of my downtime in the car is spent on the phone but sometimes I'd like to just relax to music. I do have a decent car stereo but honestly, after entering the world of headphones I'd rather listen that way. Here is what I'm looking for:

1. Super comfy. I have the d2000's and find them amazingly comfortable if that gives a point of reference.

2. Lightweight. At least much lighter than the d2000's.

3. Smaller than the Denon's

4. Great sound quality, of course.

5. Will run efficiently from my ipod.

6. Noise canceling...not mandatory, but would be nice to drown out the ambient noise.

7. 100-200 $$

I thought about the Denon 1100's. They fit most of my requirements but are not noise canceling. I also would consider IEM but have never tried any. Can I get some suggestions, please...

thanks

Oh, also I thought it might make sense to buy a pair that would complement the Denon's in sound signature that I could also use for home listening for variation. For music selection I like just about anything.

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 13
Are you driving, or a passenger?  Because in most, if not all, states it's illegal to drive with headphones on.

For headphone choices, perhaps the Fischer FA-003/Brainwavz HM5 or Shure SRH-840 would work.

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #4 of 13
Driving with headphones or even with earbuds isn't a very good idea. Trust me, I had a small crash because of it. Only broke a foglight, but it was still annoying and could've been avoided.

Feb 11, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #5 of 13
I actually got a ticket for driving with headphones. Around $250. I only had them covering one ear though, so I took it to court. Told the judge politely that in Ohio, the headphones have to be covering both ears. Won the case. But its still not a good idea either way, so I stopped. 

Feb 11, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
Driving with headphones or even with earbuds isn't a very good idea. Trust me, I had a small crash because of it. Only broke a foglight, but it was still annoying and could've been avoided.

although i agree with this, op never specified he was the driver :p
but i use my apple earbuds for talking, i dont have any other choice, bluetooth quaity usually sucks.

Feb 11, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #7 of 13
Headphones while driving? What's the big deal? I use my HD-800 while driving my Tata Nano all the time. Never had any problems.
It's very safe.

Feb 11, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #8 of 13
Not sure if joking or serious. 

Quote:
Headphones while driving? What's the big deal? I use my HD-800 while driving my Tata Nano all the time. Never had any problems.
It's very safe.

Feb 11, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #9 of 13
I admit I drive with my IEMs in when going to work at 3AM. Nobody is around at this time and its too dark to see inside the car, so I feel its safe.  

The one time I did it in the daytime, I almost didn't yield for an ambulance because I couldn't hear the sirens. The flashing lights was the only thing that got my attention. No Bueno. So I don't do that anymore.

And besides, ever since I replaced my door speakers with a pair of Infinity 5x7 coaxials, the SQ inside my car is now acceptable. 

Feb 11, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #12 of 13
Yea, I'm very interested in the srh-840. I need to do some research. My questions would be: 1) what is the comfort factor? (clamping force, softness of the pads) 2. What and where is the best price on them...

You can take the car use out of the equation. Just a second pair of phones that compliment the d2000's, would these be a good match? Also, I'm thinking that a hd-600 or 650 might be a good 2nd pair.  Not sure...

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back