Car audio solution - Note 3 to DAC (HRT - MUSIC STREAMER II?) to Clarion EQ to amps.. Best power solution?
Sep 28, 2013 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Sean0987

New Head-Fier
I want a serious Hi-Fi solution, using my soon to be cherished Note 3 as a headunit, to circumvent the need for the garbage double din touchscreen headunit OS's that will annoy me to no end.
I'll get a mount for the Note 3, then DAC to something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/HRT-MUSIC-STREAMER-II-STD/dp/B0038O4UFQ
From there, it will be routed to an EQ like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-EQS746-Graphic-Equalizer-Crossover/dp/B000EZV3T8
And from the EQ straight to the amp (Rockford Fosgate T600 powering Hertz Hi-Energy, JL XD600 powering JL W3)
Only problem, powering the phone and DAC. There is something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Cable-Power-Samsung-AtomicMarket/dp/B009YPYORM
Which can be set up like this:
http://cdn.head-fi.org/3/3a/900x900px-LL-3ac37da4_UCA202.jpeg
But getting power from the cigarette lighter, I worry about interference and power instability, bad grounding... But that's over my head...
Any experts out there wanna enlighten me? Is there a better solution?

Oct 1, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #3 of 12
I am doing the same thing, essentially.
I was thinking of using the Fiio E17 because I already have one and smart phone and I was actually contemplating the HRT Music Streamer 2 as well.
I do not know the power requirements of the HRT MS2, but it likely exceeds the Galaxy Note 3 output current over USB. However, the Note 3 uses a USB 3 connection to my knowledge and may be able to power the HRT directly.
I would consider running dedicated power leads for your source devices grounded to the same place as the power amplifiers. Sometimes you have to experiment with ground locations to reduce alternator noise. A galvanic isolator for USB could help reduce unwanted noise from the power source of the HRT MS2.
If you have noise on the RCA outputs of the HRT MS2 you could try an isolator from Jensen Controls.
You may need a powered hub to provide enough power to the HRT MS2.
If you want your ignition to turn the equipment on, you may need to use relay so you can use dedicated power wiring. If you don't have noise, then you could try just using the ignition wire itself for power. Honestly, I think you'll have better feedback at a site like diymobileaudio.com

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Oct 1, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #4 of 12
Also, a battery pack from Anker or the like could provide power.
I have one of those cables, let me make sure that my GS4 is friendly with it. That cable requires a special USB OTG + Charge kernel when using it with the Nexus 7.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Oct 3, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #6 of 12
Man, thanks so much! That's as enlightening a response as I could have hoped for! 

I will make a thread at diymobileaudio and report back my findings.

A couple questions for you though: I notice that most purpose made DAC cables are gold plated. I can't seem to find a host cable that is of the same quality.. is using it going to result in a negligible sacrifice in quality? 

I like the battery idea.. If the battery was plugged into the cigarette lighter to remain continually charged, and these devices got their power from the battery pack, would this circumvent the risk of alternator noise? 

Nov 8, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 12
I am wondering if you made any progress on this.
I am seriously contemplating the HRT Music Streamer II+ with Galaxy Note 3.  The current requirement of the HRT MS II+ is 400mA.  I fired up a Note 3 at a store with a Mypassport 2TB hard drive.  The drive spun up but the phone could not read the NTFS partition (it says empty directory or something, which is expected).  It should read fine with exFAT, though.
I believe the Mypassport drive requires 500mA, so you should be fine with the HRT MS II without having to provide additional power.

You don't need a USB 3.0 OTG cable even though the Note 3 has a microUSB 3.0 port.  A regular USB OTG 2.0 cable will work with hard drives and DACs.  The extra pins on the USB 3.0 connector are only for Superspeed transfer.  I am unsure whether USB 3.0 hard drives can operate at USB 3.0 speeds on the Note 3.  I believe they can.
eBay has USB 3.0 OTG cables listed. 
http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_nkw=usb%203.0%20otg%20cable&clk_rvr_id=543942156576

Nov 19, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #8 of 12
Yes! I have made progess, I've been enjoying some very clean sound in my car for a couple weeks now. I actually snagged myself a music streamer ii+ on ebay for a really good price, am using this cable http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C4521R4/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and have it routed through the Clarion eq.

Sound is great, the only thing I need to figure out is the line noise I am currently getting from the EQ. I only have the front speakers right now, so if I fade the EQ to the rear, the noise goes away. The noise isn't a result of the DAC, because even if I don't have my phone hooked up, and the DAC is off with no power source, I still get the noise. I plan on running a ground wire from the trunk (same ground point as the amps) to see if that solves the problem. 

Otherwise, fantastic sound quality! No alternator noise or jitter so far. 

Nov 21, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #9 of 12
can this setup work with the sony xperia z1 phones, and do you all recommend using the clarion equalizer

Nov 21, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #10 of 12
  Yes! I have made progess, I've been enjoying some very clean sound in my car for a couple weeks now. I actually snagged myself a music streamer ii+ on ebay for a really good price, am using this cable http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C4521R4/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and have it routed through the Clarion eq.

Sound is great, the only thing I need to figure out is the line noise I am currently getting from the EQ. I only have the front speakers right now, so if I fade the EQ to the rear, the noise goes away. The noise isn't a result of the DAC, because even if I don't have my phone hooked up, and the DAC is off with no power source, I still get the noise. I plan on running a ground wire from the trunk (same ground point as the amps) to see if that solves the problem. 

Otherwise, fantastic sound quality! No alternator noise or jitter so far. 

pics or it didn't happen.  lol.  i was kind of thinking about doing this with the  note3 also.  did not expect the note3 sound to be so in your face yet feel so good too.  amazing phone with amazing sound.

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #12 of 12
Hi good friend of mine has a Samsung galaxy note 3, and he's trying to connect this to a shack for use as his high-end home audio setup.

I recently read a 28 page thread trying to find out how to connect this, what software to use, what cables to use, which DACs work well with this implementation.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any useful information.

Could someone please post one set up that they know for sure works and is capable of playing 24-bit 192 kHz files?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back