Car Advice...
Nov 8, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #31 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
I always give people the benefit of the doubt, Guru...But me thinks there is some fibbing going on here. Can you explain?

Explain? There is no fibbing when your ass looks like boiled potato (want pics?) from intimate contact with hot leather and rough tarmac. I just soiled myself taking a tumble at less than "exciting" speeds! This was a pretty rough fall and I am happy nobody was sharing the road with me at that time (which is usually the case). I sold the bike shortly afterwards because I just didnt have the confidence to get on it again when the conditions were worse than they were when I fell. Oh i'll get another one again...they plan to update the Busa in 2007
wink.gif
For now - I need to keep my body and mind together.

I have responsibilities to my family back in India and to Cisco and I cannot take such risks again. I didnt expect it to happen and yet it did under the most unexpected circumstances. I am considering avoiding two wheels on public roads...track-days are much safer. The problem is not with the rider...it is with the stupid cell-phone moms in their family wagons...driving at supersonic speeds
rolleyes.gif
Ive had a few close calls before the fall.

I think there were too many indications telling me to fuggetaboutit for the moment...

I think Cisco made me older by 10 years...I am now a healthy 15 years old
eggosmile.gif

Quote:

By the way, I have a 1990 Acura Integra Sedan LS 5-speed for sale for $1500, in great mechanical condition, with 61,000 miles on it, if your other deal doesn't work out.

PM me your address
smily_headphones1.gif
my email is " guru at gurushankar dot com " just in case you have any pics!!

Nov 8, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #32 of 52
Guru,
I think you did the right thing on selling the Busa. You are much safer now. My good friend, Dan, also own a bike..and I'm very concern on his safety. I'm glad you gave up the Busa.

Nov 9, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #33 of 52
The Prelude should serve you well and will hold it's value well for you if you do in fact decide to sell it off for an Audi. I agree that the German cars feel more solid, or planted as you say. We have both an Acura and a VW. The VW feels like a quality car but it's been in the shop more times than I care to count, and we've only driven it 20K miles. Most of it has been covered by warranty but I've tried two dealers and they are both a bunch of idiots. Last time it was in for over a week because of an electrical glitch where the car would not unlock. My Acura, OTOH, has been a charm and the dealer customer service is second to none. It has only required routine maintenance in 80K miles so I have only seen the dealer for that and the occasional complimentarty car wash when I'm in the neighborhood. My last Acura went 243K with routine maintenance only, until totaled in an accident. We could almost tolerate the VW's poor reliability, but will never tolerate dealer abuse. We will never, never, never buy nother VW.

Nov 9, 2005 at 6:17 PM Post #35 of 52
Honda owns Toyota in every category.

Fun factor, build quality, reliability, resale, etc.

Don't get me wrong, Toyota's are very well built cars; however, in comparison to a 100% produced in Japan Honda(S2000, Insight, NSX, CRX) they just don't compare.

Excellent choice with the Prelude SH GSFerrari. If you decide you like it enough to keep it long term, that car will go to 250k miles with just oil changes and a timing belt change or two.

Nov 9, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #37 of 52
Quote:

Honda owns Toyota in every category.

Fun factor, build quality, reliability, resale, etc.

Don't get me wrong, Toyota's are very well built cars; however, in comparison to a 100% produced in Japan Honda(S2000, Insight, NSX, CRX) they just don't compare.

Don't want to get into a p*****g match about it, but there's a very important category you missed ... TOTAL SALES which IMO is the public's opinion.

I'll agree with fun factor .... perhaps, but as far as build quality, reliability, resale, etc., I'd say they were neck and neck. At least that's the impression I've gotten from Consumer's Reports over the years and from owning two Accords, a Celica, Camry, and Sienna myself.

Nov 10, 2005 at 1:09 AM Post #39 of 52
well i gotta admit honda does own toyota currently in terms of fun factor, the only thing fun that toyota makes is the mr-s, which could be a lot more fun if they got some balls and at least dropped the 185 hp celica gt-s motor (which would fit without any problems), if nothing else to at least compete with the boosted miata

but back in the 90's i think toyota had the edge there, mr-2, supra, and don't say the nsx holds up to the supra, cause it doesn't really imo, especially considering that it cost almost double what a supra did

speaking of which, anyone see the new NSX, v-10 goodness along with a host of other improvements
icon10.gif

but i hope you enjoy the prelude, i myself don't think i'll buy american or german for long time to come, unless i suddenly have 50k to spend on an m3 or something along those lines

Nov 10, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #40 of 52
I've been looking at the car market again. I've got a Civic, but I may need to get a car for the folks within a year. The resaleability <sic?> of Hondas is excellent. As was pointed out, they are so tight - even after 5 years. The funny thing about my research is that while I may know a bit about the <$20K commuting cars, I've suddenly found myself pondering the pros and cons of the Lexus IS250 vs. BMW325i
biggrin.gif

btw, the corolla was at the top of the list next to a used Infinity G20 because I still can't trust the durability of German and US manufacturers. And I'm not so keen on the 06 Civics looks. For a sports coupe, the Prelude is a great underdog. There's not too many of them around here. I've driven Preludes from the previous 2 generations, and they're so comforting and nice to be with that they almost seem like pets - but maybe that's just how I feel with Hondas in general.

Nov 10, 2005 at 12:30 PM Post #41 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD
I would have prefered A4 over Prelude NEW, but
I would definately prefer Prelude over A4 USED.

That is very true, IMO. A4 is a blast when new. At 130+K miles... the blast may only be felt in your wallet. Prelude is also fun to drive, and very capable... but perhaps so well-mannered as to be uninspirational. That is perhaps not even a flaw, depending on your personality!

I'll bet that if the Prelude had even the most minimal maintenance done throughout it's life to this point, that it's engine is still running like a little sewing machine. Once you get well past 100,000 miles, that is pretty paramount. Other cars may also age this well, but a whole lot of them do not! That Honda is still a baby with that low mileage on it, unless the former owner beat the living daylights out of it. As in "I changed the oil religiously, on the first day of spring every year!"

Guru- thanks for not posting any pics of your arse. I appreciate it, and I'm guessing that others may feel the same!
wink.gif

As for the secondary topic of Honda VS Toyota- though they are both very good cars, I think Honda has far better engines in their cars. However, they also charge a premium for that, possibly beyond what the benefit is worth? It's (just) my opinion that Toyota sells more cars for that reason. It's also a very good car, and generally more approachable from a financial perspective. They look similar on first glance, but the Toyota typically includes a great deal of equipment as standard, where Honda hits you for every niggling item, even at the base level. AC is extra (in this day and age where everything has AC), floormats are extra, rubber molding is extra, floormats are extra. If you compare an entry-level Toyota and and entry-level Honda, there is often a significant difference.

If folks kept their cars for a very long time, the Honda is a clear favorite... but it sure seems like most people in recent years roll their cars much more frequently, so long-term engine reliability is less key then. To each his own, I guess.

Nov 10, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #42 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant
Don't want to get into a p*****g match about it, but there's a very important category you missed ... TOTAL SALES which IMO is the public's opinion.

I'll agree with fun factor .... perhaps, but as far as build quality, reliability, resale, etc., I'd say they were neck and neck. At least that's the impression I've gotten from Consumer's Reports over the years and from owning two Accords, a Celica, Camry, and Sienna myself.

Yeah I hear the whole Accord vs. Camry sales argument all the time and it just doesn't hold water IMO. The Camry has 8 different models to choose from while the Accord only comes in 5.

The Camry line consists of the Standard, the LE, the XE and the XLE. Then you have the Camry Solara, which do account for total Camry sales, and it comes in SE coupe, SE sports coupe, SLE coupe and the Convertible SE.

The Accord has only an LX, an EX, an LX-V6, an EX-V6 and the Hybrid so it's really a no brainer why the Camry outsells the Accord each year and, on that note, it barely does even with their advantage.

Camry's are great cars; I'm not trying to imply that Toyota doesn't build an excellent car. It's just for me, when I get behind the wheel of ANY Toyota car or truck I feel as if the vehicle is driving me. When I'm behind the wheel of a Honda, especially my S2000, I drive the vehicle.

Nov 10, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #43 of 52
Quote:

The Camry line consists of the Standard, the LE, the XE and the XLE. Then you have the Camry Solara, which do account for total Camry sales, and it comes in SE coupe, SE sports coupe, SLE coupe and the Convertible SE.

The Accord has only an LX, an EX, an LX-V6, an EX-V6 and the Hybrid so it's really a no brainer why the Camry outsells the Accord each year

The Corolla has 4 models while the Civic has 5. Based on no brainer logic then, the Civic should outsell the Corolla .... but it doesn't.

Let's agree that both Honda and Toyota make good cars.

Nov 10, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #44 of 52
Wow...I love the new Corolla...what a nice little car! I also like the new Civic...

I just love cars in general...if it drives nice...I like it!!
eggosmile.gif

Has anyone taken the Dodge Neon SRT out for a spin? Ridiculous car for the money!!

Nov 11, 2005 at 12:15 AM Post #45 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Has anyone taken the Dodge Neon SRT out for a spin? Ridiculous car!!

*snip* you can stop there...
wink.gif

Good for the track, maybe. Just plain goofy on the road. Nice stroller handle on the trunk.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back