Car Advice...
Nov 6, 2005 at 10:34 PM Post #16 of 52
Guru,

I thought Audi is notorious for being a high maintenance vehicle. You might have better luck with a Honda, Toyota or Nissan in that matter. I love German cars myself, but I known many who spend a good fortune to keep them running. The Quattro is definitely an impressive car, but I'm sure it will be expensive to maintain.

Nov 6, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #17 of 52
you need a real car

575_Tent_Pic.jpg

IN43.jpg

68roadrunr004.jpg

this one is for sale at $24,600 and a damn bargain

hemirrsale.jpg

good old Detroit Muscle.Can break you neck if you punch it from a dead stop
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 7, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #19 of 52
quattro is awesome!

My 2002 A4 3.0 (the six) is a pleasure. However, there have been some annoying electrical issues.

I've heard that some of the older models have lousy track records. But I definitely think you should get the 6. The 4 cylinder models are really underpowered and the turbo is one of the things that could go on the older models.

Nov 7, 2005 at 8:20 AM Post #20 of 52
As much as I love Audis and VWs, being friends with the Dock Mechanic for VW and Audi, I would not buy one. He tells me those cars are all peices of crap as far as build quality and reliability goes. He says that they have to completely rebuild 30% of those cars that arrive fresh off the boat at the VW dock at the port of Houston. It is a shame because I love the cars they make, they drive great, look good, and have great motors. I would consider buying a new one but not one with 150,000 miles.

Nov 7, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #21 of 52
If you only need it for a year, and your budget is $5-7K, you should suck it up and buy a used Civic or Focus. Some European cars are still young at 130K+ miles, but not typically an entry model like the A4, or a BMW318, and definitely not Mercedes. You will loose your wallet and your pants with it if anything breaks.

I agree with what has been said about the Audi V6 engine, and also about the maintenance. The 4 cyl is more robust, but still not without issue. I bought a 1997 A4 1.8 Quattro new. Drove it for 18 months, then bailed out on it just before the included scheduled maintenance ran out at 50K miles. I prefer to keep cars for the long haul, but my experiences with Audi during those first 50,000 miles were sufficient to cause me to buy another car. Fortunately, it was worth more than I owed on it. The wastegate control rod broke off at the brazing in less than 10K miles, leaving me with a car that had the acceleration of a Yugo. They fixed it though. Had to do the brakes at 36,000 miles. I had numerous problems with the stereo head unit. Getrag makes a great gearbox, but I had troubles with mine. Awesome traction, but at what cost?

I replaced the car with a Saab 93SE in 1999, and drove that car for five years and about 145K miles. Did the rear brakes at about 90,000 miles, did the clutch at around 120K miles, and that's about it. Drove it like I stole it. Never replaced the battery, no tranny issues, excellent brakes. The car held alignment the entire time, tracking as true as can be. So it ended up actually being an inexpensive car to have owned, at the end of about 5 years. Undue maintenance in a euro car can ruin your day in a moment.

Nov 7, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #22 of 52
I just went ahead and bought a 1998 Honda Prelude SH with 5 Speed Manual and the 2.2L I4 DOHC 16V, 195 HP engine and 73K miles on the ODO.

Meccie is taking a look at it later this evening and I will drive it home afterwards.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice - I couldnt wait for an Audi to pop up, drove this car, liked the handling and the power - decided to go for it...

Nov 7, 2005 at 5:40 PM Post #23 of 52
Guru,
Do you mind telling me how much the Prelude costed you? That is a great car. I might need to a new (used) car in the future, and I'm leaning toward getting the Maxima.

Nov 7, 2005 at 5:40 PM Post #24 of 52
That's a very good car, generally. Congratulations, I'm glad to hear the change of heart!

FWIW, I did not mean to infer that all Audis are a POS, nor that all Saabs are without problems. Just relating my experiences with those two particular cars.
Horror stories are called horror stories for very good reason!

Now don't be driving on any white lines with your car.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 7, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #25 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk
Guru,
Do you mind telling me how much the Prelude costed you? That is a great car. I might need to a new (used) car in the future, and I'm leaning toward getting the Maxima.

I paid $7000.00 because he had an aftermarket sound system (which sounds pretty sweet...I might have to divorce my electrostats).

Mark - thanks for the advice man! this car is a real go-kart!! The SH version supposedly is the better handling one...it sure corners like a go-kart
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #26 of 52
Guru,
That is a great car man, I'm sure you will keep it for a good while. Honda usually last forever w/ no non-sense maintenance.

Nov 7, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #29 of 52
Quote:

Still feels like a tin car compared to the Audi

After owning 2 new Volvos for a decade, in 1993 I bought a new Camry wagon. Compared to the Volvos at first the Camry also felt "tinny" and I was sure it wouldn't give me the long term solid feeling and durability the Volvos had. Wrong. After 250,000 kms. the Camry was just as tight and solid as the day I got it. The engineering on the Japanese cars is amazing and even with having lighter and thinner metals and plastics than German cars, they hold up very well.

Nov 7, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #30 of 52
Wait...hold on...back up for a second.

You finally got the Hyabusa (your lifelong dream bike), after going to bike school and waiting a half a year, and after massive foreplay posting, you didn't start a thread during the week prior to the pick-up, and continue that thread with dozens of first day pictures with you and the bike and a huge smile on your face? That's not like you at all. Something's not right.

Then you sold the bike shortly thereafter, which must have been with the damage still on it, because you would have to wait weeks, for replacement parts and repair. So quickly? And what about using your uncle's container business, to send the bike to India, in October, and all the India pictures.
And did you sell your leather and helmet, too?

All of this, because a minor incident, and in such a short amount of time?

I always give people the benefit of the doubt, Guru...But me thinks there is some fibbing going on here. Can you explain?

By the way, I have a 1990 Acura Integra Sedan LS 5-speed for sale for $1500, in great mechanical condition, with 61,000 miles on it, if your other deal doesn't work out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back