Caps for DAC analog filter
Mar 21, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 10
Mica or polystyrene are what I usually see recommended. MKPs or FKPs should be fine as well. Polycarbonates if you can find them might also work well.

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #6 of 10
I am finding that the output analog filters are screwing up the phase response of the DAC. especially in the 4-7kHz range. Something just sounds off. Using Multicap and relcap styrene caps. Will need to explore better reconstruction filter designs to get past the phase response issues, but otherwise these capacitors work like a charm. Great dynamics, transients and clear response

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am finding that the output analog filters are screwing up the phase response of the DAC. especially in the 4-7kHz range. Something just sounds off. Using Multicap and relcap styrene caps. Will need to explore better reconstruction filter designs to get past the phase response issues, but otherwise these capacitors work like a charm. Great dynamics, transients and clear response

Yes they do, I think the key is using a good digital filter where you can get away with as little analog filtering as possible. I like to use a -3db 25khz 1st order filter, but I have tube amps with their own miller roll-off and don't need much filtering. If you have sibilance, most of the time its the DAC filters.

Mar 25, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #8 of 10
evox/rifa PPS and PET. you can get them and wima which are similar both in SMD too, perfect for the filter section of a dac IMO. i'm certainly using them to great effect

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #9 of 10
Use any standard polypropylene like WIMA. Small. Cheap. Thermal stability. Sounds good enough (most of us probably can't hear the difference between a straight wire and a pp cap). No need to worry about long leads with unwanted inductance, burnt polystyrene or an empty wallet.

Mar 25, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes they do, I think the key is using a good digital filter where you can get away with as little analog filtering as possible. I like to use a -3db 25khz 1st order filter, but I have tube amps with their own miller roll-off and don't need much filtering. If you have sibilance, most of the time its the DAC filters.

It isn't a problem with sibilance. Just something sounds off key.
The passive 3rd order filter is the culprit i feel here.
Toying with the possibility of converting it to a simple 1st order crossover at around 40kHz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back