Capitalizing on people's feelings.
Nov 11, 2002 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Flasken

Exhibit A in the case FOR a legal drinking age.
Alan Jackson's song "where were you" . It is about the 11th september..

How can you write a song about something like that, and not feel like you are taking advantage of people's broken hearts??

It reminds me of that remake of "candle in the wind" that was released rigt after princess Dianna died. That song also made me sick, but not at all to the same extend.

How can you capitalize on people's feelings??!!

mad.gif

opinions..

Nov 11, 2002 at 8:47 PM Post #2 of 14
Yeah, Flask, that's seems to be coming in a little too earlier. But songs have alway capitalized on peoples emotions, from Roy Orbison howling "Crying" to Trent Reznor screaming "Closer". Love Hurts - Pain Sells in music. But 9-11 isn't like exactly a nameless, lost love being lamented, is it? In that way, you're right.

Nov 11, 2002 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
Yeah, Flask, that's seems to be coming in a little too earlier. But songs have alway capitalized on peoples emotions, from Roy Orbison howling "Crying" to Trent Reznor screaming "Closer". Love Hurts - Pain Sells in music.

I didn't think of it in that way..

But of course it's not at all the same thing . To me, a persons feelings are far more personal and often a persons feelings concern a specific thing - like last year's tragedy. The word "emotion" is to me less tangible.

Hmm, it's hard to explain, but I think all of you see my point, when I say that Alan Jackson definately has crossed the line.

Nov 11, 2002 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 14
- But Chad, I think you are right about all artists capitalizing on people's emotions.

Nov 11, 2002 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 14
And I think you're right that a 9-11 song is taking advantage of people's feelings.

Nov 11, 2002 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 14
People don't seem to have any kind of problem cashing in on 9-11. You can still buy any kind of ****ty souvenir you like at the street markets here in NYC. It's their fault for selling them, but the people who live here are apparently still buying them.

Nov 11, 2002 at 9:31 PM Post #7 of 14
Flasken,

Have you seen the latest South Park espisode? They TOTALLY rip on Alan Jackson for writing that song, you will love it. I thought it was hilarious and I didn't even know he wrote a real song like that! You MUST see that episode.

Nov 11, 2002 at 10:47 PM Post #8 of 14
That Ryan Adams song was the pinnacle of tactlessness. Yay, let's capitalise on the fact that we filmed our video in front of the WTC a couple of days before it collapsed.

Nov 12, 2002 at 3:20 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by royboy2k
Flasken,

Have you seen the latest South Park espisode? They TOTALLY rip on Alan Jackson for writing that song, you will love it. I thought it was hilarious and I didn't even know he wrote a real song like that! You MUST see that episode.

That episode rocks, infact that's how I even got to know about alan jackson
wink.gif

I love the part where that guy from UN is talking about how satan sent saddam to heaven as a punishment for killing chris...

- ...So therefore, saddam was sent to heaven to live with mormons as a punishment.

- Questions?

(some guy rises)

- Yes?

some guy asks: Are you high, or just incredibly stupid?

- I assure you: I am NOT high.

tongue.gif

Nov 14, 2002 at 1:59 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

flasken: It reminds me of that remake of "candle in the wind" that was released...

Just for the record, those proceeds were apparently donated to charity. See here or here.

Without wanting to hijack the thread, how can we justify the broadcasting of news on commercial networks, which thrive on such sensational events? Do we simply accept it on the basis that the networks don't actually control the events?

Nov 14, 2002 at 7:53 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Flasken
It reminds me of that remake of "candle in the wind" that was released rigt after princess Dianna died. That song also made me sick, but not at all to the same extend.

yeah, it made me sick too but probably for a different reason: i love marilyn monroe.

either way, everytime i walk into barnes and noble and see the "9/11 world trade center" table of picture books, i want to buy a gallon of gasoline and burn it to the ground. (the table, not the whole store, of course
biggrin.gif
). it sickens me to no extent how people are marketing and making money off such a horrific event. everyone with a sticker on it "goes to charity," yeah right. maybe 10% of the profits, if we're lucky.

Nov 14, 2002 at 8:14 PM Post #12 of 14
j-curve - it can't be justified. The point at which news becomes sales is very hard to define. Either you have the completely disinterested BBC approach where the simple facts are presented, sources are named and everything is as impartial as possible (and this hasn't been the case for a while even on the beeb) or you have the whole Fox live action infomercial approach.

If it wasn't for the fact that a single voice run by government would be a very bad thing, I would like to see commerical news stopped. Perhaps the best solution would be to adequately fund multiple public news outlets years in advance so that they could present what they liked without fear of editorial control? It would be better than the present situation where for example you not only have selling of targeted commercial spots, like for drug companies immediately following relevant health-related stories, you even have paid spots presented as news and worse, paid spots produced by third parties presented as news coverage!

The worst thing is I can't ignore it. Even the little commercial announcement at the end of the traffic report bugs me. Coincidentally right before I read your post I was thinking of how to solve a problem I have with FM radio - I might build a gadget to mute the radio output for a fixed period, 30 seconds or so. When the ads start, hit the button. Keep doing it until I come back into music...

Nov 15, 2002 at 3:31 AM Post #13 of 14
The worst September 11th song by far was the one MC Hammer put out not too long afterwards. What's that you say? -- Yes, Hammer's still alive. Assuming someone didn't kill him after suffering through that song. Even if it hadn't been about September 11th it would go down as one of the worst songs ever.

Fortunately I think the song's play time was restricted to a few short stints on BET. I saw it on 107 & Park while very bored. ...

kerely

Users who are viewing this thread

Back