Capacitor Burn In - Technical Question
Dec 8, 2014 at 5:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

rock-solid

Head-Fier
I don´t want to start a new discussion about sense or nonsense of burning in caps.
I would rather like to understand and hear opinions of the following circuit I found as my knowledge of reading circuits has become stunted due to lack of practice.

Main questions are:
- does this circuit give the caps some work to do in a similar way as in the headphone-amp?
- is there a risk for line-in-device or the battery?
- do the values for resistance and Watts for R1 reasonable? So if I want to put in 2 Caps rated at 400V I take 800 Ohm - 1.600 Ohm resistors with 7 Watts rating? And capacity of the capacitors is not relevant?

The Goal is to let the caps operate for about 400 hours without stressing the amp and the tubes.
Finding lots of opinions of long burn in time for certain caps there is little information of a device or rig for a separate burn in.
Would be happy if someone could shortly explain the circuit above and say whether it is ******** or ok in technical terms (I repeat: sense or nonsense of burn in should not be discussed here).
Thanks.

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #2 of 15
- No.
- With the 22uF electrolytic oriented the wrong way, like it is, it will go boom and could send 9V into your line in device.
- They don't make any sense. R1 limits the AC current going through the caps (and the current required from the line in device) but, in fact, this current will depend a lot on the output impedance of the line in device. A cd line out will have a maximum of 2Vrms (and an output resistance of usually at least 47R). That means a maximum of 45ma will flow through the caps with R1=0 and this will decrease quickly as soon as R1 increases. A 5W resistor seems completely overkill, unless you feed the device from the output of a power amp. Basing the calculation of this resistor's value on voltage ratings also doesn't make any sense. 

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #3 of 15
Thanks 00940 for your fast valuation.
Then lets forget about that circuit.
From the same source I have  another circuit. Its even simpler but maybe this one works? As of the date under the circuit this one is newer.
Unfortunately I could not find the results nor experiences from the author of this circuit.

Any thoughts on that one?

Dec 11, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #4 of 15
Thanks 00940 for your fast valuation.

Then lets forget about that circuit.

From the same source I have  another circuit. Its even simpler but maybe this one works? As of the date under the circuit this one is newer.

Unfortunately I could not find the results nor experiences from the author of this circuit.

Any thoughts on that one?

That is pretty much how capacitor would be in an audio output, where DC blocking is needed, and at which some think capcitor would "burn in".
So yes.

Although, having capacitors in series, I am not sure would it "burn in" other capacitor more than another.

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #5 of 15
Thanks P701, that sounds good.
For being safe I will swap the position of the caps at half of the time, take an amp that is not really used anymore and put that stuff all together on a fireproof ground...:wink:
Now the caps get 100 hours of burn-in (pink noise with sweep) for lunch.
The reason is that half of the people say most of huge film caps need burn in of minimum of 40 hours. But I want to listen to the changes immediately after swapping, having the "old sound" still in mind. But I did not want to discuss sense or nonsense in this thread and worst thing that could happen is taking away 100 hours of lifetime from the caps.

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #6 of 15
I know this is an old thread, but is capacitor burn-in dependent on frequency, or just usage? Should I just play music to burn in my DAP, or different frequencies, like tones?

Sep 8, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #8 of 15
Sep 9, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #9 of 15
With the exception of electrolytic capacitors in DC power supplies, capacitors don't burn-in.

Why the exception? What's the difference if an electrolytic is used in an audio circuit and not a power supply? Either they burn-in or they don't. I guess we're not honoring the OP with this thread resurrection (not arguing over burn-in). However, I've noticed burn-in with capacitors (including film caps), but not over the time that's often suggested - more like a few hours or less, not days and days ...

Sep 9, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #10 of 15
What type of 'phones are you using? Are they sensitive enough to reveal the ongoing subtle improvement over a 100 or 200 hour burn in? I primarily use Shure SE846 IEM,s these things are like surgical instruments, nothing can hide from them... I used the Fiios X7 mk11, and they mostly burned in after about 30-40 hours. Currently i'm burning in the SR15 and it seems to be a much slower process, 100+ hours ATM, but the improvements seem to be more profound.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #11 of 15
Why the exception? What's the difference if an electrolytic is used in an audio circuit and not a power supply? Either they burn-in or they don't.
More correctly, old electrolytic capacitors reform when exposed to a DC voltage after long storage periods. So in an audio circuit, if there is no reasonable DC voltage across the capacitor, it's not going to reform.

Sep 11, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #12 of 15
All I know is what I hear, my friend.

I was an electronics technician in the US Navy, I understand electronics. But burn in is real for speakers and audio equipment, 'placebo effect' has nothing to do with it, and , incidentally, not only is the word 'placebo effect' being misused by you, it is in itself pure opinion, and not 'proof' as you seem to present it. So anything you don't agree with is "placebo effect"? Uh, huh...

Out of curiosity, what audiophile equipment do you own? What is your history and experience with high-end audio? What music do you listen to?

Sep 14, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #13 of 15
More correctly, old electrolytic capacitors reform when exposed to a DC voltage after long storage periods. So in an audio circuit, if there is no reasonable DC voltage across the capacitor, it's not going to reform.

Actually, you'd be hard-pressed to find any capacitor in an audio circuit that doesn't have DC applied across it. Otherwise, it would never hold a charge and couldn't be used to block DC. DC current is used to charge the cap and DC current is used to discharge the cap when the circuit is turned off. If the circuit is designed properly, there is usually some resistance to ground where DC voltage can find a path through the capacitor to that ground.

As for as old caps vs. new caps and re-forming, what forms a brand new cap? A brand new cap isn't charged and it's typically sat on a shelf somewhere for weeks, months, perhaps years. The installation of the cap into a circuit and the application of voltage will form the cap. A change of some sort takes place. The debate is how long that takes. Meanwhile, you might as well call it burn-in.

Sep 17, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #14 of 15
All I know is what I hear, my friend.

I was an electronics technician in the US Navy, I understand electronics. But burn in is real for speakers and audio equipment, 'placebo effect' has nothing to do with it, and , incidentally, not only is the word 'placebo effect' being misused by you, it is in itself pure opinion, and not 'proof' as you seem to present it. So anything you don't agree with is "placebo effect"? Uh, huh...

Out of curiosity, what audiophile equipment do you own? What is your history and experience with high-end audio? What music do you listen to?

To whom are you responding? You are the first and only person to use the word "placebo" in this thread.

Leave those poor strawmen alone.

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #15 of 15
Jesus christ leave me alone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back