Cantate or Central Station?
Aug 2, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #16 of 22
It's good to see so many people appreciate CS after I wrote a big review about it so long ago.
It never got popular, but it's performance is solid a s a rock.
Don't forget it has one of the very best passive pre-amps around.

As for the cable, try these:
pro-grade TS to RCA cable

Made with high quality wires, hi-quality connectors, and made in America.
I opened mine and pulled on the soldered connections to see if it is solid.
Oh yeah, when people still bother to make things in USA, it is well made.
Before considering using exotic audiophiles cables, I highly recommend reading this long technical essay on the real engineering behind cables

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #17 of 22
As headphone listening goes, I typically like stronger highs and mids, and am usually okay with recessed bass -- sparkle in the highs is something I'm okay with, and the bass on the DT880 '05 through my 2MOVE is quite adequate for most of the things I listen to on it. (Classical -- with a strong emphasis toward flute -- symphonic prog -- i.e. Moody Blues -- and occasional rock are what get the most playtime.)

I've got a decent-enough speaker-based mid-fi setup for home theater and any bassier music, so I'm not likely to be listening to much electronica or hip-hop on the headphones, and am far from a basshead.

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's good to see so many people appreciate CS after I wrote a big review about it so long ago.
It never got popular, but it's performance is solid a s a rock.
Don't forget it has one of the very best passive pre-amps around.

As for the cable, try these:
pro-grade TS to RCA cable

Made with high quality wires, hi-quality connectors, and made in America.
I opened mine and pulled on the soldered connections to see if it is solid.
Oh yeah, when people still bother to make things in USA, it is well made.
Before considering using exotic audiophiles cables, I highly recommend reading this long technical essay on the real engineering behind cables

Yeah, the preamp is (one of the reasons) why I'm leaning toward the CS right now.

Thanks for the link, too, though I'm quite aware of a lot of the BS surrounding cables (wait, I, Objectivist isn't an open forum yet, crap).
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #19 of 22
Aug 2, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #20 of 22
I use Mogami XLR-TRS cable to link Benchamrk DAC1 to Central Station.

Most people do not realize, electrical contacts needs lubrication to work at its best.
The right lubricant will protect the connector and lower contact-induced noise.

The industry standard is ProGold from Caig

You can buy it at Guitar center. It has done more for me than any fancy cable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Ferbose for that review you did. Your review is the reason I chose the CS. I think the CS represents the highest value of any of my gear...I did get a killer price though.

I'm actually using those Pro Co cables with my system for output to a Corda Cross-1 along with Mogami Gold for a balanced connection to my Aphex 204.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...ne-amp-153207/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/pre...e-info-201902/

Aug 2, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #21 of 22
I apologize for the derail, but would anyone know how the Central Station compare with the Headroom Desktop (basic) as a standard desktop headphone amp?

I'm looking for a good amp with multiple outs and after having read Ferbose's review, the CS seems almost too good to be true, especially when i'm seeing stores selling them in the mid 400's online now. I've wanted another Corda amp for a while, but as I'm looking for multi outs the Opera is a bit out of my price range.

Aug 2, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xpander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I apologize for the derail, but would anyone know how the Central Station compare with the Headroom Desktop (basic) as a standard desktop headphone amp?

I'm looking for a good amp with multiple outs and after having read Ferbose's review, the CS seems almost too good to be true, especially when i'm seeing stores selling them in the mid 400's online now. I've wanted another Corda amp for a while, but as I'm looking for multi outs the Opera is a bit out of my price range.

The desktop basic is $699. The Opera Analog is $775. If you have that much to spend, go with the Opera..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back