Can't We Find a Study IEM Under $60 ?
Apr 12, 2018 at 10:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

breezeblocks

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone. I am looking for an IEM under $60. As I don't have a replacement for my broken ones, I can't wait shipment so I decided to buy from local market/online sellers. I found these:

Sony MDR EX650AP ( $40)
Ostry Kc06 ( $60)
Beyerdynamic Byron ($55)
Soundmagic E10C ($55)

I have read all reviews I can find, all says good things on them, however I read horrible user reviews on Amazon!
Sony->Corrision after 2 months
Ostry->Filter dropped into ear after a month
Byron->No voice after 2 months
Soundmagic->Same things
etc. etc.

I really want to buy one of these(especially sony, because it's cheaper), but I don't want to replace it in a year.

Which one I should buy? I have used bass enhanced iem's before but I like to(and have to) concentrate on guitars/synths/basses, I listen every genre except hiphop and techno. But I can opt build quality over sound quality this time.

Thanks in advance?

Apr 12, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #2 of 9
The build quality aspect can be an issue with some IEMs, there's no denying that.

However, there is no shortage of idiots in this world, who treat their IEMs like absolute crap - keeping them in their jeans pockets with keys or coins, or leaving them in the bottom of their sportsbag, to get crushed by books and shoes, etc. etc., so I take Amazon reviews with a pinch of salt, because a very wide spectrum of people buy from Amazon. Almost every mainstream IEM on Amazon has one or more people bitching about them not lasting long enough, yet I've owned the very cheapest Panasonic and Sony IEMs (I mean less than €10) and they've lasted 2, 3 or more years per pair.

Sometimes accidents happen, but that can happen to even the most robust IEMs, so ...
Shrug emoticon.gif

Apr 12, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 9
Nuforce EDC's are pretty alright.

I should wait a long time for the shipment.

The build quality aspect can be an issue with some IEMs, there's no denying that.

However, there is no shortage of idiots in this world, who treat their IEMs like absolute crap - keeping them in their jeans pockets with keys or coins, or leaving them in the bottom of their sportsbag, to get crushed by books and shoes, etc. etc., so I take Amazon reviews with a pinch of salt, because a very wide spectrum of people buy from Amazon. Almost every mainstream IEM on Amazon has one or more people bitching about them not lasting long enough, yet I've owned the very cheapest Panasonic and Sony IEMs (I mean less than €10) and they've lasted 2, 3 or more years per pair.

Sometimes accidents happen, but that can happen to even the most robust IEMs, so ...

Thanks for the answer, you are right, but when I see a review like that, I cannot persuade myself that reviewer is bitching.
Do you have any suggestions for the iems I have written above?

Apr 12, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #6 of 9
It depends on how you handle/keep it, my friend have that EX650AP and it seems pretty tough, but he wrap it around his phone often and it failed after 1 year of use...
If you are afraid of corrosion, go for a non metallic IEM. Or keep a pack of silica gel in the IEM pouch?
Some of Sony cheap IEM seem to be not as lasting in my experience..the only one which I had used which is at least pretty lasting was the XB75AP...provided you keep it back in it's pouch when not in use.
I also used the XB510AS and it's shell opened by itself, i guess the glue was pretty weak. Luckily Sony replaced it for me.
Best is to use a hard case, my UM3X from 7 years ago still works now.

Apr 13, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #7 of 9
It depends on how you handle/keep it, my friend have that EX650AP and it seems pretty tough, but he wrap it around his phone often and it failed after 1 year of use...
If you are afraid of corrosion, go for a non metallic IEM. Or keep a pack of silica gel in the IEM pouch?
Some of Sony cheap IEM seem to be not as lasting in my experience..the only one which I had used which is at least pretty lasting was the XB75AP...provided you keep it back in it's pouch when not in use.
I also used the XB510AS and it's shell opened by itself, i guess the glue was pretty weak. Luckily Sony replaced it for me.
Best is to use a hard case, my UM3X from 7 years ago still works now.

silica gel is a good idea. though it is not about metal, it is all about brass. sony covers it with a very thin film but in a short time it is fallen and then brass is open to corrosion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back