Can't tell the difference...
Oct 24, 2009 at 4:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Commanderloochy

100+ Head-Fier
I can't tell the difference between a 160kbps and flac. I'm using bose quiet comfort 2 headphones, and listening files on my computer (no amp). Should I be able to hear the difference with this equipment? Or am I just deaf?

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #2 of 42
Yes and no.
160kbps is fine for some music.
using bose QC2 doesnt help.
You aren't deaf. Hearing the difference between x kbps and x kbps isnt an innate ability. It's a skill developed over many years of careful listening. Even then people will be limited by their ears: which have absolute threshold limitations even audiophiles must abide by.
Generally speaking this type of thing is best understood in reverse. You will hear the difference between 160kbps mp3s (assuming you are using LAME) more readily after youve spent a long time with FLAC or cds.
Personally, I think 160 kbps is a bit low, but if it works for you, all the more power to you.

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #4 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Commanderloochy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using bose quiet comfort 2 headphones....

Have you considered using good headphones? The times I've listened to the QC2, it sounded muddy and lifeless.

I'm not sure I could tell the difference, either, with the QC2.

But the difference is not so hard to find with other headphones. If you'd like some recommendations, just ask. You don't know what you're missing.

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #5 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Commanderloochy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't tell the difference between a 160kbps and flac. I'm using bose quiet comfort 2 headphones, and listening files on my computer (no amp). Should I be able to hear the difference with this equipment? Or am I just deaf?

Try not to worry about it,there is very little difference anyway,despite what some might say.

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #6 of 42
Regardless of your source, you can do so much better than those Bose headphones in terms of actually hearing detail in whatever you're checking out.

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #7 of 42
As another told me. BOSE = Buy Other Sound Equipment.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try not to worry about it,there is very little difference anyway,despite what some might say.

I strongly disagree with this comment. The difference between 160kbps mp3 and lossless may seem negligible on poor equipment or in noisy environments, but the difference is extremely noticeable in a relatively quiet environment, and it grows more noticeable as your equipment improves. You may not notice a difference, but that doesn't mean it isn't there, or that it is imperceptible because to others it is pretty clear.

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

I strongly disagree, I find there is a very audible difference between 160kbps and lossless (even 160 vs 320 is a big difference). Don't want a long debate/argument though, so I suppose we'll just have to "agree to disagree".

[edit: just what I was thinking, cyberidd! posted while I was reading/typing my response]

Oct 24, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

Sure is not much of a difference. For those of you who are left on the surface, and never dive down into the depths of music, that is.

Oct 24, 2009 at 11:03 AM Post #12 of 42
I got reasonably decent headphones, then a reasonably decent amp, then a reasonably decent DAC, each of these improvements made the differences between file sizes and formats more evident. The DAC was the final killer for low bitrate files, they're still quite listenable, but disappointing when you know what you're missing.

Perhaps with even better equipment the flaws would be even more evident and they'd sound downright nasty.

With your setup any discernible difference probably wouldn't be great enough to be an issue.

Oct 24, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #14 of 42
Vocal, probably not. Try to rip some orchestra pieces to 192 and loseless.

If you still can not tell the difference then something might be very wrong with your setup, or ears.

Or your can copy both songs onto a portable and play them. Computer is known for a lot of interference and noise, which at times, can kill the details. Well who can hear anything with constant hissing @ the background
frown.gif

Even my 10 dollar headphone can tell the difference.

Oct 24, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #15 of 42
Your Bose headphones are one of the poorest audio quality phones out there, so they can not reveal quality audio regardless of source.
Get yourself some decent headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back