Can't tell the difference between ATH-M50s and ipod earbuds...
Jan 9, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #16 of 49
Quote:
I have gotten them lol I got them earlier today. I literally alternated between ipod earbuds and these to see if there was a significant difference. Bass sounded much better, but maybe I just went in expecting something different?

Also... whats with all the sound leakage I thought these headphones were supposed to be great with that. Could it be bc my head is too small and the headphones don't fit tight enough? lol

here you go, thought you couldnt hear a difference lol 
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #17 of 49
Try to just take your time listening to them. Load up some of your favorite tracks and just relax. After some time, go back to the iPod buds and see which you like better.

Yes, there should be enough of a seal that sound should not significantly leak out.

I don't see anything wrong with being satisfied with the headphones you have if you personally can't hear any difference, though.

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #18 of 49
To be honest...

The new Apple in ear buds are NOT THAT BAD.

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #19 of 49
You are blessed! Save you lot of money!

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #22 of 49
I've mentioned this a few times in other threads but it doesn't hurt to mention again that ears like all our senses need training.
The problem is that sound and hearing is much more difficult to quantify generally as we do it so passively in comparison to looking and touching and tasting food. 

The best artists and chefs have a big advantage as looking and tasting as it's much easier to quantify as everyone uses and TRAINS these senses every day. 
That is why even a lot of 'professionally recorded' published music by seemingly reputable studios can simply sound crap because the man/woman behind the mix hasn't trained their hearing enough or actively enough - which doesn't simply take one or two years. 

Most people will readily give a reasonable opinion on the taste and quality of food or a painting, but not when it comes to sound from electronic equipment or the various timbres of the orchestra. Most musicians have a natural advantage here as after years of actively listening to their own instrument they will at some point seek out a better quality instruments and listen to the differences in sound between them, whereas most people would just say "a violin is a violin is a violin."

Keep training those ears. 256kbps mp3 is not a bad place to start - I'm sure a lot of folks here had even more humble beginnings.... tape deck anyone? 
tongue.gif

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #23 of 49
Quote:
I've mentioned this a few times in other threads but it doesn't hurt to mention again that ears like all our senses need training.
The problem is that sound and hearing is much more difficult to quantify generally as we do it so passively in comparison to looking and touching and tasting food. 

The best artists and chefs have a big advantage as looking and tasting as it's much easier to quantify as everyone uses and TRAINS these senses every day. 
That is why even a lot of 'professionally recorded' published music by seemingly reputable studios can simply sound crap because the man/woman behind the mix hasn't trained their hearing enough or actively enough - which doesn't simply take one or two years. 

Most people will readily give a reasonable opinion on the taste and quality of food or a painting, but not when it comes to sound from electronic equipment or the various timbres of the orchestra. Most musicians have a natural advantage here as after years of actively listening to their own instrument they will at some point seek out a better quality instruments and listen to the differences in sound between them, whereas most people would just say "a violin is a violin is a violin."

Keep training those ears. 256kbps mp3 is not a bad place to start - I'm sure a lot of folks here had even more humble beginnings.... tape deck anyone? 
tongue.gif

i remember i used that a little bit when i was a little kid lol

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #28 of 49
Quote:
Also, is volume maybe an issue? Do I need to play these headphones at pretty loud volumes to fully appreciate different music? My computer volume is probably around 30% bc I don't want the sound leaking to the people around me.

Seriously don't worry about isolation with these things, If worn properly. I had a friend wear mine playing some trance from my Rockboxed sansa clip+ at -5DB and I could only hear him from literally up to 2 feet away very faintly. -5DB is easily over 100% of any onboard soundcard's volume.
If they are your first real cans you will need to adjust by listening to them a lot with whatever different types of music you want. Get some .FLACs. Once you adjust to the quality and they have burned in you will absolutely love them. I used to think I couldn't hear the difference between these and stock earbuds, I've only had the M50 for just over 2 weeks and I have been alternating between them and stock earbuds, but as soon as I started bringing these to school and gave away my stock buds, I really adjusted and they came alive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back