Can't rip w/EAC last track of some CDs!
Aug 25, 2008 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello;

So this is really pissing me off. This does not happen with all albums -- only certain ones. These albums, however, can be 100% devoid of scratches, dirt, mucus, etc., and look to be of OK quality/cut/whatever.

What happens is i'm ripping the album using the newest version of EAC, and everything's hunkydory -- Track Quality is 99.8%-100.0%, Accurately Ripped confirmation, etc etc.

The LAST song/Track on the CD, however, fails miserably whether it's numerically Track 25 or Track 3. This happens on probably 10% of my CDs, give or take.

I can wait for it to finish -- never does. I'm talking 30 minutes on that one Track. Changing the Rip Quality and Error Quality/Priority to "low" doesn't seem to matter at all.

Hardware = Plextor PX-708A , firmware v1.12

Aug 25, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 27
I have a 6 year old computer with a Plextor DVD drive and it has the same problem, although not with your frequency. I switch to a drive that EAC considers "not as good" and almost always can rip the CD. Because I have access to other drives, I've never figured out what's causing it.

If you have access to another computer, try it.

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a 6 year old computer with a Plextor DVD drive and it has the same problem, although not with your frequency. I switch to a drive that EAC considers "not as good" and almost always can rip the CD. Because I have access to other drives, I've never figured out what's causing it.

If you have access to another computer, try it.

You know, that was my only thought of what it might be. This drive has 'Accurate Stream' and 'Audio Caching' which I guess can be bad when using EAC, although are advertised and in place on my "high-end" drives -- this was top-of-the-line in 2004.

Go figure!
rolleyes.gif
That being said, i've got a 56X normal drive (just good ol' oldskool CD-drive) I got for like $20 the same year. I'll give it a shot and LYK
icon10.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audio Caching should always be disabled, for one thing.

Hmm... my understanding of how EAC works is that if my drive has that feature, I should check the box.

i.e. since my Plextor drive has Caching and Accurate Stream, I should have both options checked. Is this incorrect?

I'll try it and LYK
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audio Caching should always be disabled, for one thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... my understanding of how EAC works is that if my drive has that feature, I should check the box.

i.e. since my Plextor drive has Caching and Accurate Stream, I should have both options checked. Is this incorrect?

I'll try it and LYK
biggrin.gif

Okay, so I confirmed in EAC that if your drive uses Audio Caching (which my Plextor does) then you should absolutely have that box checked. If you don't, it can cause issues with ripping and SQ according to the popup balloon within EAC.

That being said, I was able to rip a track in question using Burst Mode. But it sounds like crap at about 3:30s into the song -- "clickclickclick crackle".
frown.gif

I'll play around some more with this drive, since I won't be able to get my hands on another for a few more days.

Aug 26, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #7 of 27
Have you tried ripping the last track with a forced low speed? Tried paranoid mode?

Aug 26, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by cerbie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried ripping the last track with a forced low speed? Tried paranoid mode?

Forced low speed, no. Although, to be honest i'm not really sure if that'll help. It slows down to about 0.5X anyways.

Re: Paranoid Mode... tried it today. It said "Seeking Start Sector" or whatever and never got past that point. Had to hard-boot my system to get the drive back into an unlocked, usable status because EAC crashed.

So no more Paranoid Mode for me
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #9 of 27
This has been a not infrequent problem/occurrence for me on a number of the software programs I use for ripping my CD's to FLAC. I can usually overcome it by trying several different methods:

1. Ripping the difficult track separately in the offending rip program;

2. Ripping the difficult track with another computer on which the same software is installed then copying and transferring the track with a flash card;

3. Ripping the difficult track with a different rip software program on either the initial computer or another.

It seems a real bother to have to do this, but I can invariably succeed in making a good flac copy of the difficult track with one of those methods.

Aug 26, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #10 of 27
I didn't catch what happened when you tried the $20 drive!

Aug 27, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ascherjim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3. Ripping the difficult track with a different rip software program on either the initial computer or another.

X2 for this suggestion. I rip failed tracks with MediaMonkey. Saves me pulling my hair out just to figure out why EAC refuses to rip a track or two.

Aug 27, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #12 of 27
I have a cd that is badly scatched; two of the tracks are ripping, but its taking about 24 hours per track!

Aug 27, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by velingara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a cd that is badly scatched; two of the tracks are ripping, but its taking about 24 hours per track!

Try dBpower CD ripper on a trial basis (or buy it for a modest sum). There's a chance that your troublesome CD is in their data base which can fill in the difficult-to-read sections of the CD.

Aug 28, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by velingara /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you have a motorcycle shop or boat supply shop near you, get yourself a small can of "Plexus Plastic Cleaner, Protectant & Polish". Spray a light mist on to the CD & wipe off with a micro-fiber cloth. EAC will have an easier time reading the disc. Plexus is pretty amazing stuff & even makes new discs sound a bit better. I found out about it on an HD DVD forum (they are much more sensitive to glitches than CDs). I would imagine if the makers of this product realized how well this product enhanced optical discs they would raise the cost. Try it.

Aug 28, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Podtweaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have a motorcycle shop or boat supply shop near you, get yourself a small can of "Plexus Plastic Cleaner, Protectant & Polish". Spray a light mist on to the CD & wipe off with a micro-fiber cloth. EAC will have an easier time reading the disc. Plexus is pretty amazing stuff & even makes new discs sound a bit better. I found out about it on an HD DVD forum (they are much more sensitive to glitches than CDs). I would imagine if the makers of this product realized how well this product enhanced optical discs they would raise the cost. Try it.

Sweet! It's a technological version of the ghetto "toothpaste fix"
biggrin.gif

I'll try this out.

Also, to the above posts, my friend Dan has a couple cheap drives laying around. I'll try one of those today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back