Can't quite pull the trigger on Apogee MiniDac...
Aug 30, 2005 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

BillC

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm almost convinced to buy the Apogee MiniDac. I'd like an upgraded source. The MiniDac would easily move between home and office and I could use it from my office computer, home computer and connected off my SqueezeBox on my "big" stereo. But I can't quite decide if it's worth the price difference with the Headroom MicroDAC. The Microdac would fit my needs also and for the price I could buy 3 MicroDACs and have money left over.

Anyone want to persuade me one way or the other?

Aug 30, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by BillC
I'm almost convinced to buy the Apogee MiniDac. I'd like an upgraded source. The MiniDac would easily move between home and office and I could use it from my office computer, home computer and connected off my SqueezeBox on my "big" stereo. But I can't quite decide if it's worth the price difference with the Headroom MicroDAC. The Microdac would fit my needs also and for the price I could buy 3 MicroDACs and have money left over.

Anyone want to persuade me one way or the other?

consider it this way. after you buy a MicroDAC and the Micro amp, you're out 600 bucks. that's a stone's throw from the Apgoee, which has a darn nice integrated headphone amp, very nice with Grados. so it's like you are getting 2 for 1!

Aug 31, 2005 at 1:57 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
consider it this way. after you buy a MicroDAC and the Micro amp, you're out 600 bucks. that's a stone's throw from the Apgoee, which has a darn nice integrated headphone amp, very nice with Grados. so it's like you are getting 2 for 1!

Yeah, but I've already got an SR-71 and an SM3 so I wasn't planning on another portable amp at this point - even though the "stack" looks nice together.

No opinions from anyone on the comparitive sounds of these two DACs?

Is Apogee likely to release the MiniDAC2 anytime soon?

Aug 31, 2005 at 2:24 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Yeah, but I've already got an SR-71 and an SM3 so I wasn't planning on another portable amp at this point - even though the "stack" looks nice together.

No opinions from anyone on the comparitive sounds of these two DACs?

Is Apogee likely to release the MiniDAC2 anytime soon?

You know, you could get the minidac, and if you like the sound of its headphone out, the SR71 and SM3 both can be sold for a good price. And if you like either of your current amps more, you can just run an analog out to them from the minidac.

As compared to the microdac or the overture? Man my memory is fading, but I recall the apogee is warmer/smoother but seemed to have more detail - not the bumped highs kind of detail, just a natural realistic presentation. the headroom dacs sounded more like the Benchmark to me - a tad dry but very revealing (but the DAC1 doesn't have as much harshness as the overture - still brighter than the apogee tho)

sorry but those are old impressions based on memory, maybe a search function would cough up reviews a little closer to listening impressions.

Aug 31, 2005 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 14
Thanks, Jahn. I've been searching here and a couple other audio sites and can't seem to find anyone that's done a direct comparison of the Mini-DAC and the MicroDAC despite the fact that the portable nature of the two products seems to scream for a comparison. I'd like to buy a source and be happy with it for a few years at least so I'm leaning towards the MiniDac but I'm trying to get a feel for what the extra money buys me sound wise. Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to listen to a lot of different DACs so I don't have much of a baseline.

Aug 31, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Thanks, Jahn. I've been searching here and a couple other audio sites and can't seem to find anyone that's done a direct comparison of the Mini-DAC and the MicroDAC despite the fact that the portable nature of the two products seems to scream for a comparison. I'd like to buy a source and be happy with it for a few years at least so I'm leaning towards the MiniDac but I'm trying to get a feel for what the extra money buys me sound wise. Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to listen to a lot of different DACs so I don't have much of a baseline.

Did you check the Spring NYC meet impressions thread? Both of those DAC were in attendance, maybe from that thread you can find people to ask about their comparative impressions! Also, Jpelg is an owner of the minidac that came to the meet, shoot him a PM!

Aug 31, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #8 of 14
Same boat and I'm in NJ. With that said, the Apogee stuff is in a class by itself. I really don't think the Headroom MiniDac is going to give you performance and clarity of the Apogee.

I really do like the zero jitter 2 stage buffer mechanism on the Apogee...hmmm...I'm like --->||<--- close to buying one but not sure if I should consider a FW solution instead (has anyone used the RME 800 box?).

Aug 31, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #9 of 14
Hi Trogdor,

Nice to see that someone other than Jahn and I are reading this. A USB solution is more appealing to me because I'm expecting more portable USB options for "transport" to be available soon. For instance, I've currently got an I-Audio X5 with includes USB host support. All I need is driver support for USB-audio and I've got a compact way to feed an external DAC. Even if the X5 doesn't get this capability, something similar should (hope it's not wishful thinking) appear in the near future.

I haven't heard the MicroDAC or the MiniDAC but I have to think that you are correct about the 2 stage jitter eliminating architecture of the MiniDAC positively affecting the sound. My other concern is that Apogee might update the MiniDAC soon - it has been available for a while. I'm not sure what their product lifecycle is like but having been around computer based electronics for many years, I start worrying about a products lifespan after a couple of months.
eek.gif

Aug 31, 2005 at 8:59 PM Post #10 of 14
Totally agree about the USB. The only issue I see is bandwidth but I believe USB has plenty (is it 2.0, that would be a theortical 480MB/s). The only issue I see is that USB has more jitter but the Apogee effectively eliminates that via the extra buffer to feed the DAC during the input stage.

I really think both devices are great but in two different categories.

Now as for updating it...that's a good point...you know what, you convinced me to contact Apogee directly!

Aug 31, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor
Now as for updating it...that's a good point...you know what, you convinced me to contact Apogee directly!

Please report back what they tell you. Though it's suicide to admit that a product is about to be upgraded so most companies aren't forthcoming.

Aug 31, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #12 of 14
Nah. There is no reason to lie about it to one person. I actually think that if a new DAC was coming, we would have heard about it in some trade rag...

Even so, the Apogee as it stands today is a great piece of equipment.

Sep 2, 2005 at 2:07 AM Post #13 of 14
OK. So the credit card is starting to quiver in my back pocket. Where's the best place to buy the MiniDAC? None of the places I normally buy from seem to carry it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back