Can't play CDs on PCs anymore, what?
Sep 8, 2001 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

acidtripwow

Headphoneus Supremus
Saw this story on CNET. First DVDs and now this! I swear I'm going to sell all my stuff and start reading books!
mad.gif

Sep 8, 2001 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 16
Man, this sucks. I just read eric343's post on the SSSCA draft back on headwize. Now this. I suppose it was about time that the recording industry got computer smart. The infringement on owners' rights pisses me right off though. I was relieved that the greedy DiVX format died out, but now it looks like the same scheme is coming back with a vengeance. Jesus, are they going to start scanning barcodes on our heads every time we want to listen to our favorite album now? This is too much!

Sep 8, 2001 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 16
Say what?!? I'm getting REAL tired of the music big-wigs limiting my right of fair use to a product that I purchase. That's especially dangerous for me, since my entire rig is computer-based! Rest assured, I will not be buying any CDs that use that scheme. BTW, is there a list of what CDs use this anywhere on the web, so I can know what not to buy?

Sep 8, 2001 at 10:27 PM Post #4 of 16
it'll be quite interesting to see how things turn out like 10 years from now when all this computer stuff isn't so new anymore. the PC is a very multifunctional device, it's silly to limit that. I'd rather have them expanding on that idea, make it a media-base-station you can connect screens and speakers and headphones (ofcourse
smily_headphones1.gif
) to. instead of limiting it's uses with this kind of ********
mad.gif

Quote:

BTW, is there a list of what CDs use this anywhere on the web, so I can know what not to buy?

exactly! ofcourse they didn't say it on the package, noone who uses their PC for music (and thats about everyone I know) would want it!

Sep 9, 2001 at 12:51 AM Post #5 of 16
acidtripwow, I feel exactly the same. I used to be avid book reader until 5 years ago. Then I started playing more and more computer games, listening to music etc.. But now, computer games are getting targeted by "concerned" (read: lazy) parents and soon the only stuff to buy will be racing and toddler stuff. I won't be able to make CD collections any more. I won't be able to listen to pure sound without watermarks either. I am already unable to DIY build my own Dolby or DTS receivers, and soon that will cover SACD and DVD-A or whatever comes. I will have to buy a separete copy of CD for home, for work, for car and for copying to portable device, whatever that may be. I will have a slow computer due to hard drive that will be checking every time you open a file (and probably causing crashes and freezes), be a file word document or an image. Speaking of computer, I'll have to phone m$ once a month if I upgrade anything. You will have to use m$ os as Linux will be illegal (see another thread). Police will be knocking on your door every now and then as you get falsely identified by a street camera as a felon. You will have to use multinational-company-approved software to go to internet. Etc, etc.

So maybe, I will just get back to reading books. I have a friend who has reading as the only hobby. His bank account is loaded, even though he goes through 3 books a week. Books are not politically correct or censored. Books are cheap. You can borrow them from a friend. You can go to library to borrow them. And that's it.

Sep 9, 2001 at 4:06 AM Post #6 of 16
I wouldn't worry much. There is always a way around. Always... yes, it might end up taking a bit longer... but... there is always a way around.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 9, 2001 at 10:21 AM Post #7 of 16
Well I tell ya it is going to get worse before it Gets better. I just read a patent on a copy protection that is a worm giong throught the entire Program and anny attempt to remove or alter it will also distroy the Program. The RIAA is most lickly giong to use it. Or haw about the DVD's you buy on the east coast that can't be played on Players bought on the west coast. I allready have had that happen. Or how about the rental car Company's giving you speeding tickets from a GPS based Tracking. Regarding Software I upgraged ti internet explorer 6 from 5.5 but had to reinstall IE5.5 because my online bank says IE6 is a unapproved Browser.Also i had to set the security settings way down or i would get a 404 Forbidden Error on sites like Headwize.

Ok so ya want to go back to the "Non Volitile storage Medium" (Books) Better not lend it out or read it in plublic becasue the Microchip inbedded in the Book is linked to that camera watching over the Park you are in and the Police have just Been Dispatched. "LOL Just kidding on the Books but the rest is a reality. sad day in the Neighborhood Mr rodgers. RE: Nope Kid the RIAA says what a wonderfull day in the Nighborhood and now PPL Wrte this 1000 times as punishment for this post in that Evil Veichele of Disinformatin knowen as the Internet....

Sep 9, 2001 at 2:59 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

. Regarding Software I upgraged ti internet explorer 6 from 5.5 but had to reinstall IE5.5 because my online bank says IE6 is a unapproved Browser.Also i had to set the security settings way down or i would get a 404 Forbidden Error on sites like Headwize.

I had the same problem, with the bank, but not with headwize or head-fi. I finally just installed Netscape to acces my bank account. As for the story, I wonder if the "independant record company" might be backed by a larger record company that is trying to test out the software on a consumer level.

Sep 9, 2001 at 3:19 PM Post #9 of 16
hongda i have been thinking of doing the same thing. Watch out with MS Medai player 7 it sends a list of all cd"s and MP3's listend to overthe net to someone. i tried using MP7 and after a hassel uninstalled it and went back to using the Music Match that has worked so well for me. Microsoft should take a hint at the Customer Dissatisfaction issues folks are having with MS Products.

Sep 9, 2001 at 5:14 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

ppl said...

Or haw about the DVD's you buy on the east coast that can't be played on Players bought on the west coast.

Eh? I hadn't heard about this one... mind filling me in or telling me where I can find more information?

Sep 10, 2001 at 4:43 AM Post #11 of 16
On one of those Internet Audio review sistes was a review of a DVD player that has a programibal Eprom to allow sutch things as playing DVD's bought in another Area of the US than you this player can be configured to play them. Il will look up the link again if it is still in the Temp Folder.

Sep 10, 2001 at 6:38 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Or haw about the DVD's you buy on the east coast that can't be played on Players bought on the west coast. I allready have had that happen.

That shouldn't happen. DVD players allow you to play DVDs from at least a single region. The U.S. is Region 1 -- the *entire* U.S. So unless you accidentally bought a European or Asian DVD, any DVD purchased in the U.S. should work on a U.S.-model DVD player.

That said, it sucks that you can't import foreign movies and play them on your U.S. DVD player. There are actually lots of hacks on the 'net for getting around Region Code limitations.

Sep 10, 2001 at 7:18 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

That said, it sucks that you can't import foreign movies and play them on your U.S. DVD player. There are actually lots of hacks on the 'net for getting around Region Code limitations.

This is why I love my Playstation 2 as a DVD player...for around $30 you can get a disc for it that'll allow you to play any DVD on it, period, purchased from anywhere in the world.
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 10, 2001 at 7:48 AM Post #14 of 16
The DVD Player this happened to me on is a Technics model DVD-A40. My frend Bought an Affreery Model and when i broght up about this issue i was Promptly emailed a review of the Affeery, with the reviewer stating that the unit under Review has a chip that can be reprogramed (For a Fee) so as to allow any DVD from anywhere to play. Now to me i think Cool my frend got himself a Cool player But as happens alot with me i also get a lecture about How stupid could someone be to not reasearch a Product and get one without all those wonderfull fratures and Evean worse how could i pay 4 times as mutch. My answer well i Dono i get Virtual batttery Power supply and 24 bit/96KHz. capability. Works for me. I can say my 4 year old Pioneer Laser disc player sounds alot better on movies than the DVD player Dose.

Sep 10, 2001 at 2:47 PM Post #15 of 16
Yeah, things are getting so out of hand it's crazy. Big brother is watching and so many people don't even know it. I'm a computer guy so I know how much personal information is available for viewing or even downloading. Believe me, I've even done it before just to see if it can be done without anyone knowing anything about it. It's actually very easy to do if you know what you're doing. Especially when 99.9% of computer users are real novices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back