Can't justify spending £200 on some IE8s...
Aug 13, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #16 of 27
You planning to amp them there RE-0's?

Aug 13, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #18 of 27
The Desire has decent SQ, so a good pair of IEMs does make sense. But RE0's make as sense for rap as a tennis racket does for playing golf - you need strong well-shaped base, and the RE0 is usually said to be good at everything *but* bass.

I'd try JVC FCX51s. They're miniature bass monsters - and no slouches at anything else. For anything with any bass at all I prefer them to my Ety HF5s, and the RE0 is generally described as pretty similar to the HF5 soundwise - cheaper, perhaps an edge better sounding, but with iffy quality control and build quality. The JVCs are much cheaper, but don't let this put you off.

You should also download a player with an EQ - I don't think the Desire has one?

Aug 13, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #19 of 27
ahh, you've thrown another pair of earphones into the mix now
tongue.gif
they have them for £35 in Tesco too

and I just downloaded PowerAMP music player for my phone which has an EQ built-in (pretty good one too, even though it was tested with my broken CX400s lol)

Aug 13, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #20 of 27

Quote:
 But RE0's make as sense for rap as a tennis racket does for playing golf - you need strong well-shaped base, and the RE0 is usually said to be good at everything *but* bass.

This is why I asked about amping.

Also to answer:
How did you justify your first expensive(-ish for probably most of you) pair of earphones?

I knew things could sound better and once I saved up enough it was "I want them." And I haven't looked back. You should have seen the smile on my face when I realized they were worth every penny and probably more. I would even go higher if I could audition first to ensure synergy with my tastes and had the extra money. Sometimes, justification is counterproductive if you have the resources and its something personal that doesn't affect anyone else.

Aug 13, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #21 of 27

Quote:
okay, little update (and bump to first page)

it's now between Sennheiser CX880, Monster Turbines and Head-Direct RE0s...

leaning towards the RE0s, but supposedly the Turbines have better bass (but not sure how much). I'd like to stay with Sennheiser though, plus they look the best imo (not important if the others are significantly better however)

thanks

I'd suggest RE-ZERO since you're amping from a mobile phone right? RE-ZERO is much easier to drive.................

You could also check out RE252 since they have more bass than both models, or shell out on the latest flagship RE272 if you want something really special, but my advice would be RE252, it's not very flashy looking though.

Aug 14, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #22 of 27

Quote:
(re. the Re 0's lack of bass)

This is why I asked about amping.

Why spend money - and carry around an extra box attached to your phone that will make it more awkward to use - to convert a tennis racket into a golf club? Why not just buy a golf club in the first place? Especially if you can buy an excellent one for less money than the tennis racket?

Also: for people who class themselves as audiophiles and who regularly buy new IEMs, it isn't that irritating if one at this price falls apart. But to a normal (sane) person it definitely is, and given the reports of Re 0s falling apart, I think that means they should be avoided by the OP*. I'll probably buy a pair of Re 0's to try - ones that don't fall apart look like terrific value - but I have different tastes in music to the OP, and I'll probably be less annoyed if they do fall apart.

So my advice is still: look for IEMs that don't have a rep for quality problems, and which are oriented towards mids & bass rather than mids and uppers.

*Especially if they're a direct order from China - UK law means that if you buy an expensive IEM from a UK seller you get a 3 to 5 year warranty under the Sale Of Goods Act - although most people don't know this. That's why I'll pay an extra fiver to get something from Amazon rather than one of their sellers if I have to - I know I'll be able to track Amazon down in three years if I have a problem. If he can them from a reliable commercial UK seller, and is willing to threaten them with Small Claims Court and the OFT than the BQ problem is much less of a risk.

Aug 14, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #23 of 27
I'm pretty sure I was agreeing with you for the most part. It sounded like te op was just going after the RE0 for it's sound quality per dollar value, not taking into account sound preferences and synergy with his tastes. I could be wrong but that's what it sounded like.

So, I was just saying that unless he really wants that RE0 and plans to amp it, he'd be better off getting something else. Same page?

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #24 of 27

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I was agreeing with you for the most part. It sounded like te op was just going after the RE0 for it's sound quality per dollar value, not taking into account sound preferences and synergy with his tastes. I could be wrong but that's what it sounded like.

So, I was just saying that unless he really wants that RE0 and plans to amp it, he'd be better off getting something else. Same page?

Agreed! Getting the right sound signature for the music you're playing is more important than how an IEM is rated on average.

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #25 of 27
okay, thanks again for all of the replies

going by what's been said, it's between the CX880s and the Monster Turbines

I like the look of the CX880s, the Turbines little round ear buds look like they could be uncomfortable, and I've read that a lot of people find them uncomfortable?

what's that little tube thing on the CX880s though?

thanks again!

Edit: found these

Sennheiser CX 880 £64.24 Dispatched from and sold by Amazon.co.uk

Monster Turbine US$149.99 (£92.99) by Accessoryjack.com

AJ appear to be legit from review

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #26 of 27
hi, sorry to keep bumping this thread, but I've been reading bad reviews about the CX880s, so looks like I'll be going for the Monster Turbines. Is the site I posted above the best site to get genuine Monster earphones in the UK?

thanks

Aug 16, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #27 of 27
couldn't be bothered looking around any more, ordered some CX870s from Amazon (direct)

Gonna keep checking though so I'll probably go for some Turbines or maybe even the IE8s if I see some good offers!

thanks for posting everyone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back