Can't hear a difference between sound cards and my onboard.
Jun 14, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #91 of 92

Quote:
Yes, almost as good as an entry level dedicated soundcard. Just like you said, and quite well, all onboard audio is still flawed, be it from parts, implementation or design without having EMI in mind, but the fact is that it's just not good, certainly not for music lovers, and specially not for audiophiles.

Just as good as any card that is transparent. I don't know what is good enough for audiophiles, but the performance specs on the ALC indicate that it is capable of limiting linear/nonlinear distortion to well below the limits of audibility.

Quote:
I noticed a marked improvement going from my onboard audio to my $180 Xonar D2X. I noticed another huge improvement going from my D2X to my $150 HRT MSII. If I try and listen through the onboard on my laptop it is almost painful how bad it sounds in comparison to my MSII.

You can't even really say that there wouldn't be a difference between "perfect" pieces of audio equipment because different people have different sonic preferences.

EQ is there for people with different sonic preferences. Audibly transparent equipment ensures that nothing messes up the signal too much before or after the EQ is applied.

Jun 14, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #92 of 92

Quote:
Just as good as any card that is transparent. I don't know what is good enough for audiophiles, but the performance specs on the ALC indicate that it is capable of limiting linear/nonlinear distortion to well below the limits of audibility.

EQ is there for people with different sonic preferences. Audibly transparent equipment ensures that nothing messes up the signal too much before or after the EQ is applied.

Good luck on making and tweaking onboard audio chips to sound merely as good as a sub $50 DAC.

There are audible differences between onboard and dedicated audio components, to my ears and others as well, so perhaps numbers don't tell the whole story...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back