can't get the sound I want from my HD650s
Feb 16, 2008 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

GTroy

100+ Head-Fier
I got them at a steal of a price, but they never clicked with the melos sha-1. my friend might be willing to trade his UE triple.fis for the hd650s, and I love the sound of the UEs. but I hate to let the hd650s go if they would be amazing with another amp. anyone have any ideas?

Feb 16, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #2 of 17
what don't you like about them?

Feb 16, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTroy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not sure why I'm not into the sound....I think they sound a bit too dark and cool for my tastes.

Wha... are you kidding - "the HD650s too dark and cool?"

That can't be... its impossible - "wha are u smokin?"

I'm kidding... but... have you not read anything about the HD650s on this site?

Do you're "legwork" - don't just "throw up your hands" and exclaim - "they're too dark... for your tastes."

Do a search... find your answer... and then "get out your wallet"... or... sell them!"

This topic is way to "old and worn out!"

Feb 16, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #7 of 17
no note of sarcasm there..... I do prefer interaction to reading posts from people I have no input on... just wondered if trading was the best way to go. not trying to start a long conversation, just trying to get some input.

Feb 16, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #8 of 17
Well, system synergy has a lot to do with the final sound, as many have pointed out already. What's your source, amp, interconnect, etc?

Feb 16, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #9 of 17
source is av-710, ps1, starquad cabling, and melos sha-1. that's about it. I have a go-vibe, but that's mostly for my im716 and super.fis

Feb 16, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #10 of 17
Are you using any upgrade headphone cabling? I switched back to the Cardas Headphone cable for my HD580's and it made quite difference in sound quality. It turned the dark and somewhat boring HD580's into a very smooth, detailed headphone with very holographic imaging and amazing PRAT. I was using an HD650 cable with it prior to that after selling my first Cardas cable to buy a new headphone amp. I know I am very glad to have a Cardas headphone cable again. Also, having high quality interconnects going from your source to your amp will make a big difference as well, along with a good source component.

EDIT: I just noticed your reply as to what cables you were using and the source component you are using as well. Consider getting better cables and maybe a better source.

Feb 16, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #11 of 17
I think in your case, the trade will do you justice. You have a good amp in the melos sha and an amp isn't going to drastically change the signature of the hd650, they are a dark headphone. They are really good, but if you'd be more happy with the triple.fi's I say go for it.

Good Luck.

Feb 16, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #14 of 17
it's not difficult, but just expensive to make HD650 sound like theyre supposed to.

I dont think the 650 will Ever lose the laidback element of their signature.

The darkness can be effectively corrected by a synergistic combination of source, amp, and cables. Their flabby bass gets tight with a high end amp or fully balanced setup.

looking back, i didnt think the 6x0 synergized well with GLite or cardas cables. I think it was a shift in the wrong direction or No shift at all. The 650's could use "offset/tuning" to correct it's out of the box signature.

i used to think 650's were bass heavy until i heard ultrasones. Now those make the 650 sound neutral lol. The midbass hump will always be there, but i fully understand after listening/auditioning other cans.

you just dont appreciate what you have until you try other things. or maybe you figure out what you really want. sorry to say that's how it goes.

Feb 16, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #15 of 17
Well if you decide the HD650 isn't for you; I'm looking for a pair. Just in case you'd rather "trade" for cash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back