Can't get seal with Etymotic HF5
Dec 31, 2011 at 9:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

PomPWNius

500+ Head-Fier
I just realized that when I put my new HF5's in my ears, I don't get any isolation pretty much. I realized this when my family was watching a movie. I put the HF5 in my ears, and I couldn't hear the fan anymore, but I could hear the movie perfectly fine (no music was playing). Sooo I am obviously not getting a seal. I tried all tips but couldn't get anything to work. I am using the small size tri flanges. I am getting the Klipsch Gel sample pack in the mail soon (do they only have 1 tip of each size in that pack, or what, any one know?). Hopefully that will make it easier to get a seal. In the meantime, are there any tricks for getting the seal made? I can stick them in very deep, and still hear that movie just as loud as without them in. Even when I pull them out of my ear it makes a pop sound as if suction was made. It is confusing me.

Dec 31, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #2 of 29
Use this method to insert your Etymotic IEMs: http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/epinsertvideo.aspx

Etymotic was nice enough to make a video for you :)

Dec 31, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 29

Quote:
Nope, same as before. I put them in and I can still here the video perfectly fine...
frown.gif
. Must be something wrong with my ears lol.

Just FYI, the tri-flange tips only seal out around 26-30 dB max...  If there is a television on, it's most likely louder than 26-30 dB.  Get a pair of old-fashioned earplugs and compare for yourself (they isolate around the same).  You should hear the TV's level drop about 3 fold (1/4-1/8 the original sound level; that's a 20-30dB drop).

OT: Rise Against rules :)

Dec 31, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #6 of 29
Maybe try Ety's Gliders (aka "Shrooms), it is pretty much impossible to not get a proper seal with these unless you are not getting far enough into the canal.  The Gliders are exceptionally comfortable, too.  With Ety's you must achieve  deep insertion in addition to choosing the tip that provides the most complete seal for SQ, in addition to the isolation you seek.  HF5's are capable of providing very good isolation -- not quite as good as good as ER4's for me but they do the job nonetheless.  I get very satisfactory results with the old small blue frosties, which I think are the same as the current small tri-flange.  On My ER4's I also get great results with Comply Tx100/T100's.  You can get away with slightly less deep insertion with these due to the memory foam expansion.  

Dec 31, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #12 of 29
Use the video and "libricatr the tri-flange tip before inserting. At the risk of being gross I find if lick my finger and roll the tip between my fingers the little bit of saliva helps the insertion immensely.

Alternate tips are the Shure Olives or tale a look at the main in praise thread for my posts on some tips from the Earplug store.

Dec 31, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #13 of 29
Use the video and "libricatr the tri-flange tip before inserting. At the risk of being gross I find if lick my finger and roll the tip between my fingers the little bit of saliva helps the insertion immensely.

Alternate tips are the Shure Olives or tale a look at the main in praise thread for my posts on some tips from the Earplug store.

I think that worked. The movie is a tad softer. Not sure though

Dec 31, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #14 of 29
I've noticed that after a year my ety tips are not sealing as well. I just tried a pair of klipsch gel double flange large from my wife's x10. They are awesome on the hf3

Dec 31, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #15 of 29

Quote:
I've noticed that after a year my ety tips are not sealing as well. I just tried a pair of klipsch gel double flange large from my wife's x10. They are awesome on the hf3

Well, tips weaken over time...  This is true of all silicone tips :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back