Can't Get Contacts In!!
Jun 18, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROphonez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[...] and use water to clean them (or spit
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Dont eat anything with chillies or their seeds in it, then do that!

My Uncle did that once apparently after chilli and rice!

Ow!
eek.gif

Matt

Jun 18, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #18 of 33
And when you wash your hands before applying the contacts, make sure all the soap is gone.

Jun 18, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_baseball_08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hang in there. It took me about a half hour the first time I tried it.

One thing to try: When you're putting them in, pretend like you're trying to look up at the sky so your eye won't actually see the contact coming. That may help your eye shutting response. Just think of it as trying to look at your brain and then pop it right in.

I do something similar, I stare out at a point far away from the incoming contact lense and my eyelids won't react as quickly. I think it does help if you can't see the lense coming in, and you can always adjust the lense after you get it onto your eyes.

But, like everyone has said, it takes a lot practice because your eyes are not use to having a foreign object on them. It took me about 30 minutes to get them in the first time and my eyes were red and watery. Now I can pop them in seconds without a mirror and I can take them out just as quickly too.

Good luck.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last week I went to get an eye exam and basically my eyes are getting worse and worse.( I am almost 100% positive it is because of my computer use, but doc says im just "growing" lol)

Anyways, as they brought the contacts out, I already knew I was going to have problems as I hate anything touching my eyes. I am able to get my eyes wide open easily. The problem is that when the contact touches my eye my top eyelid closes shut, even though I am holding them open.

I am suppose to go back tomorrow to give it a second shot. They advised that I try touching my eyes while keeping the top eyelid open as practice. Is there any advice for me or am I pretty much screwed? I need to be able to wear contacts because glasses aren't gonna fly for me under my motorcycle helmet.

Thanks in advance.

As others have said, it's too early to panic. You'll get them in eventually, but do expect weeks before this becomes natural. In addition to the eye protection reflex from your eyelids, the hands must learn the way - just like they did when we were learning eating with a spoon.

If you keep having trouble, still can't get them in/out after a couple more days trying, look for another practitioner. There are plenty.

Jun 19, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #21 of 33
Well, take it from someone who has strong astigmatism in one eye and -9, -10 numbers, been wearing glasses since grade 3.

You really are just growing, and once you get older, your eyes will stabilise. My numbers haven't changed in three years, but when I was young my eyes would jump so quickly it would take a while just to get used to the more powerful lenses.

When I first tried contacts, even though the optometrist put them in I started crying, haha. Also try relaxing, and not worrying about the fact that your body will reflexively shut your eyelid when you try to put them in, just concentrate on being calm, it could help.

Jun 19, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

I tried contacts several years ago and had trouble getting mine in. My wife, who has large dreamy eyes to begin with, was trying to show me how to put them in and I just couldn't. She is able to damn near toss them into her eye and do a couple blinks and they're good to go. By the time I did get mine in, my eye was red and sore. I went back to glasses...to hell with contacts.

Haha, same experience for me, except not a wife, the girl at the optometrist's office. I certainly commented on the difference between her eyes and mine. I've got freakishly long curly eyelashes that liked to play goaltender every time I've ever attempted to use contacts. Besides, I prefer the glasses look.

Jun 19, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #23 of 33
I swear by contacts, and I likely will never use glasses or get lasik. I have better than 20/15 with my contacts, so the 20/20 I get with my glasses is a problem. Furthermore, with glasses I have little to no peripheral vision, which is a problem for driving, and a general annoyance. Of course, it is necessary to be vigilant about not wearing your lenses for too long every day, and you want to not sleep with them it, because you can severely damage your eyes (Lack of oxygen (hypoxia) causes blood vessels to seek out oxygen by extending past the iris. For current lens wearers, if the edges of your iris are red, your eyes are being deprived of O2. See: Hypoxia (medical - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia))

Most everyone has an initially negative experience with contacts. I first tried Acuvue (the older kind), which were utterly floppy sh_t. I then tried biomedics55, which were more rigid. I have used them for probably nine years without incident. My contact lens handling skills are well honed at this point, and I probably spend ten seconds total removing them. Also, I have never lost a lens when out and about, or during exercise.

Jun 19, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I swear by contacts, and I likely will never use glasses or get lasik. I have better than 20/15 with my contacts, so the 20/20 I get with my glasses is a problem.

I'm the same way. Going from contacts to glasses even with the same prescription is quite a difference. I usually only wear my glasses while watching TV before I go to bed.

Jun 19, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #26 of 33
Well, I have an appointment today that I think I am going to cancel. I was in the mirror opening my eyes and touching my eye with the finger I would insert the contact with, and I just cannot keep my eyelid from shutting.

I might just be stuck with glasses.
frown.gif

Jun 19, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #27 of 33
Don't cancel based on that! I've been wearing contacts for 20+ years and I can't touch my eye with my finger without blinking - that hurts like hell. I'm as eye squeamish as can be, but I think you can find a strategy that works for you.

Here's what I do, in case you want to try it:

1. Place lens on index finger
2. Fill lens with one drop of saline solution
3. With same hand, apply middle finger to space in between bottom eyelid and cheek.
4. Look down at lens
5. With other hand, use middle finger to hold up the upper eyelid by pressing eyelashes.
6. Insert lens and blink. The drop of saline in the lens will make this a much more comfortable experience.

The only reason I mention it is that I rarely see anyone use the drop of saline, and I have a really hard time putting them in without it.

Good luck. I never thought I'd be able to wear them either.

Jun 19, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #28 of 33
Not so related, but maybe you guys can give your opinions.

My partner sometimes complains when she is wearing glasses, after certain period of time she may get dizzy. Anyone knows by experience what might be the cause of this? Is it because her eyesight is getting worse or is it the frame is too tight?

Jun 19, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not so related, but maybe you guys can give your opinions.

My partner sometimes complains when she is wearing glasses, after certain period of time she may get dizzy. Anyone knows by experience what might be the cause of this? Is it because her eyesight is getting worse or is it the frame is too tight?

Probably a small distortion in vision that the glasses are causing. Does she also get slight headaches?

I've worn contacts for a couple of years, then glasses for 2 years, and now since 3 years back to contacts. I'll never go back to glasses again. CA, halo's, flares, not being able to see sharp at the edges of my vision, dirt or water on the glasses, none of those are a problem with contacts, and I can go for about 20 hours before they start to annoy me.

First time putting contacts in took about 30 minutes. Getting them out for the first time was harder than getting them in.

Make sure your contacts are wet on the side that touches your eye, but dry(ish) on the fingers side, and that your fingers are dry too.

Contacts rock!
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #30 of 33
Also...... when you do start wearing them, a lot of people swear by Clear Care.. It's the cleaning solution, but it's different. It comes with a case like people used to use. It is mostly hydrogen peroxide, too, but something in the case neutralizes it.. It works for both soft and rigid gas permeable contacts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back