Can't decide which headphones to buy, 120$max
Apr 12, 2012 at 5:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

casperyzz

New Head-Fier
Greetings head-fi
Lately i have considering which headphones to buy to use while listening to music, playing games etcetera. Ive been looking around this forum, reading the buying guide and other relevant topics, and ive narrowed the choices down to a few, but its hard to decide, so im hoping on your expertise.
For now i have been using a pair of Grados SR60i borrowed from a mate, and while i love the sound, the design of the earcups just doesn't works for me. 

Sennheiser HD 380 pro
Love the design of these, but reviews are mixed, some love the sound while others are dissapointed. Also read somewhere that they have a form of noise isolation, which was a no go if you didn't absolutely need it, and i don't.

Ultrasone HFI-450

Shure SRH440 
Seems to be a good choice of headphones, other than they shouldn't be so comfortable to wear. 

These are the cans ive found so far, but im open to all suggestions as long as the price stays under the 120$.

My preferences:

120$ max. 
Open or closed doesn't matter, they will only be used when im home. 
Must be comfortable to wear for longer sessions. 
Music genres are primarily EDM, rock and hiphop.
Don't need heavy bass, althrough it must not be flat sound either, somewhere in between. 

Hope someone can help me decide!   

Apr 12, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #2 of 23
I would buy a pair of Beyers from the used forums here. You mention comfort several times which is one of my top criteria when picking a headphone. The Beyer is the most comfortable that I've ever used. Well, maybe tied with the Sen HD series but it doesn't fit your sound signature.

Consider:

dt770

GL!!

Apr 12, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #3 of 23
With your price range, definitely buy used. You'll be getting the most for your money for sure.

Beyers are good, great comfort

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #5 of 23
I auditioned the Senn HD280Pro once, very comfortable for the short while I tried them on and bass was plenty but not over-the-top, neutral presentation overall neither "hyped" or "forward".

Apr 12, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #7 of 23
HD380 for under $120? Are you in Europe? In the US it is around $200. Some said it sells for as little as around $90 in parts of Europe. If you can get the HD380 cheap it is probably worth getting.

I guess some will suggest the Sony V6(or 7506) or the Koss proDJ100(or the Koss Tony Bennett headphone).

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #8 of 23

Quote:
Heya,

Beyer DT770
Brainwavz HM5 (or FA003, or Lindy clone)
M-Audio Q40
Ultrasone PRO 750 (used)

Try and nab a used Fiio E10 to give yourself a nice DAC/AMP with EQ (bass) options if using a PC of some sort.

Very best,

Marty, I see you've had, or have a pair of the Sennheiser HD-580.  I found a used pair locally yesterday and am quite impressed with them.  While they're no HifiMAN HE-400 or HE-5LE, they are better - by quite a bit than the Brainwavz HM5 that I had the opportunity to try for a short while.  Are you thoughts somewhat similar on the HD-580, too?

Thanks,

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #11 of 23

Quote:
Marty, I see you've had, or have a pair of the Sennheiser HD-580.  I found a used pair locally yesterday and am quite impressed with them.  While they're no HifiMAN HE-400 or HE-5LE, they are better - by quite a bit than the Brainwavz HM5 that I had the opportunity to try for a short while.  Are you thoughts somewhat similar on the HD-580, too?

Thanks,

Yeap, the HD580 is fantastic. I got my pair new back in the 90's. Fantastic headphone. Warm, natural sound. Not overly bright, but not dim, and no slouch with the low frequencies and very generous mids. Just a good smooth listen. Used ones go for around $120ish and are probably one of the better deals in that price range one could go for in terms of a neutralish headphone that is open.

Quote:
The HD 580s are quite similar to the HD600 right ?

Basically the same headphone. Small differences, likely due to driver update/revision and grill/housing. But really, the same headphone.

Very best,

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #12 of 23
Thanks, some solid suggestions just within my pricerange, especially Beyer DT770. I have considered buying an amp sometime, but im also in need of an soundcard for my pc, which one should be the wisest choice to buy first? 

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #13 of 23

Quote:
Thanks, some solid suggestions just within my pricerange, especially Beyer DT770. I have considered buying an amp sometime, but im also in need of an soundcard for my pc, which one should be the wisest choice to buy first? 

Why do you need a sound card? Why not just get a nice DAC/AMP unit that is external. Like the Fiio E10 or something. It would pair wonderfully with the DT770.

Very best,

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #15 of 23
I am by no means an expert on the subject, that's why im asking :) I just imagined a soundcard would improve my overall listening experience, but i guess not :) I'll ditch the card and get an amp as soon as possible! 

thanks, 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back