Can't decide on a new flash player...
Sep 11, 2007 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Dregur

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm trying to decide on a new flash music player mainly for working out, but also for portable usage when my iPod 5g would be a little impractical.

I've pretty much decided between the Sony A810 (4gb) or the new 3G iPod Nano (4gb). I was tempted to wait for the Sansa View, but it's rather longish, and my previous experience experience with Sansa is filled with annoyances and poor sound quality (E280, my thumb aches when I think about it). And I've decided that using the iRiver clix is just annoying, as the finger prints while navigating the player drive me up the wall (I have big fingers?)

Basically, my requirements are:

1. No more than 150 bucks.
2. At least 2 gb flash, preferably 4 gb, 8 gb is just a plus.
3. Will be used while working out, so somewhat sturdy, and be able to use while running or otherwise on the move.
4. Have a LCD, don't really care what size.
5. Have good sound quality. Doesn't need the most stellar sound in the world, but outside of the gym, it's gonna be my ultraportable MP3 player when needed.
6. Don't care about video or photo usage. At all.

I'll probably be using my Bose IE's with them, and from what I've heard so far, both sound good while using them in the players (I have an Apple store and a Sony Style store within walking distance of each other.).

From my tests with both of them I have some pros and cons that I observed:

Ipod Nano:

Pros:
1) Integration with iTunes:
I have bought some albums on iTunes, and while I can easily convert them to MP3's, it's just more convienent to pop the encrypted AAC's to the iPod.

2) Thin and light.

3) Great LCD screen.

4) Sounds good.

5) A bazillion accessories.

6) I've come to appreciate the click wheel.

Cons:

1) Wide, and not too convenient to hold while running.

2) iTunes. (It's a pro and con for me).

3) I'd have to purchase an invisible shield, because scratching the back of player would drive me up the wall.

Sony A810:

1) Small form factor. Not quite as thin as the Nano, but still pretty thin.

2) Metal construction, don't really need to wrap that in an invisible shield.

3) Drag and drop for music. Certainly convenient when using a flash player.

4) Sounds good.

5) Customizable EQ.

6) Folder navigating (btw, confirmed for whoever keeps asking if it's actually true).

7) Tactile buttons on the front and volume control on the sides.

Cons:

1) Can't use encrypted AAC files.

2) LCD screen is not as good the Nano's.

3) Way less accessories than the Nano's (like an armband, etc).

4) Tactile buttons are good, but a little awkward to use sometimes depending on how you hold the player.

5) Another propriety cable for me to lose.

I just can't decide between which one!

And if there's another flash player out there that you guys can suggest, I'm all ears!

Sep 11, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #3 of 24
Shoot, I'd say the nano hands down... you can always get an armband to allow you to use it while running.

Sep 11, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by rxc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go for the Nano since you already have a 5G iPod.

I don't really get that.

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 24
Why not bump up your top price and get the 2G 8gb Nano from Apple's refurb? I just got a 2G nano with the free iPod college deal, and even though it doesn't too much it is so small and easy to use I love it. Sounds good enough with my UM1's. Also, they are completely aluminum so there is no need to put it in the InvisibleShield.

Sep 11, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #7 of 24
I think I would decide based on how much I use AAC (or potentially Apple Lossless) vs. MP3. If I use AAC a lot, I'd go with the nano. If not, then I think it depends on SQ and how comfortable each is in the hand.

I'm actually trying to make the same decision, but mine is purely on sound quality (given the same MP3 bitrate). If you would try to assess SQ - which one sounds better?

Sep 11, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #8 of 24
Well, do remember that the Sony can play (at least claims) to be able to play unencrypted AAC.

As for sound quality, they're both similar using my headphones, but I do like the Customizable EQ that the Sony has, but I don't know if I would use it all the time.

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #9 of 24
Take a look at the Meizu M6, miniplayer. Great audio quality, long battery life, large 2.4" display, and cheap, I got my 8GB model for $156 shipped off eBay.

Sep 11, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #10 of 24
Iaudio U3, Iaudio 7, or Meizu M6 are also good choice.

Sep 12, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #12 of 24
creative zen.

If it is as good as the player it is replacing (ZVM) then it will be one awesome player. Has a crazy 16.7million color screen and creatives generally have very good SQ.

Sep 12, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #13 of 24
Why choose all these advance players just for working out? I would rather get the shuffle/Creative Zen stone/Zen stone plus.
1. They are super small
2. They have a big button (considering the OP has a big finger)
3. They're cheap

Sep 12, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by pata2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why choose all these advance players just for working out? I would rather get the shuffle/Creative Zen stone/Zen stone plus.
1. They are super small
2. They have a big button (considering the OP has a big finger)
3. They're cheap

While working out is the main purpose, I still want want an ultraportable player for other uses when an iPod 5G is too heavy/bulky.

That, and I hate shuffle-type players. I like to listen to albums, not random tracks.

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
creatives generally have very good SQ.

afaik creative has mediocre sound quality, try the samsung yp-t9, much better sq, buttons, so you can control it in your pocket (gym etc) and pretty good battery life.
there are a few threads here about this lil gem...

good luck with your quest!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back