Can't decide between DT990 250, and PC360
Jul 16, 2013 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

paulb39

New Head-Fier
I been doing a lot of research and I think I've finally narrowed my choices down to either the DT990 Pro 250 or the PC360. I'm leaning more towards the 990 but the main problem is everyone says the DT990 needs an amp. And I rather not spend a fortune.

What's the cheapest amp that would be able to drive the 990? (there are many threads asking this, but every single once recommends the O2 and that is really expensive). I don't need one portable. I don't need a DAC because I'll have the amp connected to my Xonar DS (I can do that right?). I would just use my DS but it seems it wouldn't be powerful enough to drive the 990.

I was looking at the FiiO E11, but some people say it's fine to drive the 990, and other says it's not powerful enough.

Because the PC360 is more expensive, if I got it I wasn't planning on getting an amp, and just using my DS to drive it, that should be powerful enough, right?

Also could you give me opinions on both headphones? I would have just gone with the PC360 but some people say it's awesome, and others say the sound sucks on it. And I'm looking for something for both music and gaming, and people seem to say the PC360 is more for gaming than music, and the 990 is more balanced.

Thanks.

Jul 16, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 4
The Sound Blaster Z sound card, $80, comes with a head amp. that can drive DT990 250-Ohm headphones.

The Fiio E11 can drive the DT990 250-Ohm headphones with the volume knob at 4 (1-10)

The PAV2V (Personal Amp. 2 Version 2), $64 on eBay can work off batteries or AC.
and I'm sure can easily drive 250-Ohm headphones.

The PC360 would work decently plugged directly into the Xonar DS,
the PC360 might sound a little better with a head amp.

The DT990s are full bass & full treble, which slightly over shadows the mids, but the mids are clear.

I would guess the PC360 have a "less warm" and more functional sound.
(using my HD558s as a reference).

To save some cash, buy the HD558s, you should be able to find some used or refurb HD558s for just over $100 ($115?), then buy any add-on mic you like.

Jul 16, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Any reason you'd recommend the 558 over the 990? They are the exact same price at Amazon atm.

The 50-Ohm HD558s do not need an headphone amplifier to work decently, but it would be preferred to have decent headphone amplifier for the HD558s.

The Asus Xonar DG sound card (PCI) is $30, and there is a $10 mail in rebate this month.
The DG's DAC is not quite as good as the DS's, but the DG does come with a decent headphone amplifier, for driving headphones up to 150-Ohms.

You really can't use the DT990s without a headphone amplifier.

If you had a decent headphone amplifier already (better then the DGs), chances are you would pick the DT990 over the other headphones, the DT990 sound is more full of life, like to refer to them as a "movie theater" like sound.

But if your trying to budget, get used HD558s off eBay, $100-$120.
When you decide to do your next audio upgrade, chances are you could sell off the HD558s for almost as much as you paid for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back