Can't believe it, K701 winning most polls against HD650......
Apr 29, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #31 of 51
There was definitely a lot of initial K701 hype that could be attributed to "FotM"...however, I think for the most part the novelty has worn off and the K701 has proven to be, for a lot of people, a very, very good headphone. They are the real deal, IMO, and it doesn't suprise me that there are plenty of people who prefer the K701 to the HD650.

Apr 30, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #32 of 51
Note: I don't own the K701. But I heard them and liked them enough that they are in the options for next purchase.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
I recently got to hear a K701, I didn't like it.

How burnt in?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
Also, there was something "off" with the highs

You can clearly see from the headroom graphs that they have a spike. But then look at other HPs.. Most have it. But yeah, there is something "different" in the highs. I didn't mind it though. Ones I tested has 10 hours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
They also feel quite cheap, but then again, so do the 650s.

WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING LOL. The K701 don't feel cheap, although they DO feel like you'd have to be pretty careful with them (ie. those little bits of string). BUT the HD650 are the *sturdiest* HPs I've ever seen/used/owned!

Apr 30, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #33 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
And yet, so many people want to sell their 701...

They're padding the ratings by voting 701 so they can sell their 701 for more, and buy a 650 for less!

SamRaptor.jpg

"Clever Girl!"

Yes, and the Pope is disallowing women from being priests because he wants them to turn protestant, because he's REALLY a protestant!

Honestly, I think in this neighborhood between the three headphones, it comes down to a matter of personal preference; I find the K701 to have a better soundstage and more detail over the HD650, but that doesn't mean that some people don't prefer a slight forwardness and darkness; there's nothing wrong with them. Simply because more people prefer the K701s doesn't mean anyone else can't HATE the K701s and LOVE the DT880, or the HD650s.

Apr 30, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #34 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
And yet, so many people want to sell their 701...

They're padding the ratings by voting 701 so they can sell their 701 for more, and buy a 650 for less!

SamRaptor.jpg

"Clever Girl!"

icon10.gif

bingle~

Apr 30, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #35 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCory
I had the K701 for a week...compared it with an HD650 and HD580 for about an hour with a HeadRoom Micro DM and a Gilmore Lite...couldn't tell any difference between the three regardless of the amps used. Anybody who doesn't own any of these headphones, save your money and just get the HD580.

There's a lesson in how to be right, and yet completely wrong at the same time.

Apr 30, 2006 at 8:17 AM Post #36 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krusnik01
confused.gif

Can they be seriously that good, winning most of the polls against the HD650 and Beyer DT880, even after the initial hype?

I have both the HD650 and K701, and I prefer the darker presentation and bass of the HD650. Then again, it might simply be a question of breaking in, but I doubt it can make that much of a difference.

Apr 30, 2006 at 8:34 AM Post #37 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCory
I had the K701 for a week...compared it with an HD650 and HD580 for about an hour with a HeadRoom Micro DM and a Gilmore Lite...couldn't tell any difference between the three regardless of the amps used. Anybody who doesn't own any of these headphones, save your money and just get the HD580.

I can almost understand that you can't hear any differencies between 580 and 650 but to say that there's no differencies between 701 and 650... clean your ears or something.

Apr 30, 2006 at 8:51 AM Post #38 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid
I have both the HD650 and K701, and I prefer the darker presentation and bass of the HD650. Then again, it might simply be a question of breaking in, but I doubt it can make that much of a difference.

thx majid, an honest opinion I suppose, as honest as the avatar
tongue.gif

Anyway, I am getting the K701 1st, then maybe later the HD650.

In the realm of hifi, speakers are usually touted as having the most impact/coloration on the final sound despite taking into account the importance of a good source and amp. A little surprised to see that RichardCory found no difference between the HD650, HD580 and K701 using different amps.
rolleyes.gif

(perhaps time to make an appointment with the audiologist?
biggrin.gif
)

300 hours of burn-in for phones with smallish diaphragms...hmmm...that's even more than what my harbeth/atc manufacturers recommend for speakers with huge tough drivers.....wonder if AKG/Senn personnel actually burn them in for so long before concluding that.....ahhh...this is the sound we've been waiting for. Just a hind-thought that what all K701 (or HD650) users come to expect from the final sound of burn-in phones might vary quite a margin from what the manufacturers intended them to sound like in the 1st place. Hope that the burn-in process doesn't eventually become a burn-out process with all the 300-450 hrs I've been reading here, but alas, when it comes to headphones, u guys are the pros I suppose
eggosmile.gif

Apr 30, 2006 at 8:58 AM Post #39 of 51
They are not winning both of those polls, btw. The he90 is ahead in one and the hd650 is ahead in the other, so technically, the k701 is SOL...
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2006 at 9:08 AM Post #40 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid
I have both the HD650 and K701, and I prefer the darker presentation and bass of the HD650.

Well there you go. Different people have different opinions. I prefer the K701 to the HD650. I too think that the FotM has worn off. The hype is now being replaced by genuine preferences. People here always invite change and the K701 are a change from the HD650 in terms of presentation.

Apr 30, 2006 at 9:21 AM Post #41 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
Beleive the hype! The K701's are probably the best cans I ever heard! If you have a decent set-up, you will melt in your chair, trust me!
K701smile.gif

I agree with your assessment.

I had the HD650 but found the midrange colored, and disliked the lack of inner detail and instrument separation on loud, complex passages with them.

Apr 30, 2006 at 10:33 AM Post #42 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krusnik01
confused.gif

Can they be seriously that good, winning most of the polls against the HD650 and Beyer DT880, even after the initial hype?

yes, they ARE.
I can only repeat my words from another thread: "When bought my k701 I was confused - they sounded terrible - muddy mids, no treble, no presence.. terrible. I was a HD650 fan for about 1 year. But after proper burn-in (about 80 hours for mine) the 701s became SUPERB in every way! Now they make me to listen to all my CD collection again and I hear every album in a different and better way! Recordings that sounded veiled and not "interesting" to me now sound as they should sound - detailed, spacy, dynamic... K701 get the sound out of my head.
A week ago I sold my sennheisers although I feel a little sorrow - they gave me many many hours of pure pleasure. But k701 are just superb! No doubt.

I think the time of k701 will come. They will be appreciated by most of the head-fiers and will become the next AKG-legend.

Sorry for the awful English "
icon10.gif

Apr 30, 2006 at 11:12 AM Post #43 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sladeophile
They are not winning both of those polls, btw. The he90 is ahead in one and the hd650 is ahead in the other, so technically, the k701 is SOL...
biggrin.gif

Yo bruther,

I was talking about the other 6-7 polls posted later on, not so much during the meet, anyway, the HE90 is probably a clear choice taking into account its price range. Even I would vote for it if I didn't attend the meet or ever heard them in person ...
biggrin.gif

***updated the 1st post with links to most of the relevant polls for easy browsing
(in particular Sladeophile)

Thanksgiving 2 all

Apr 30, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #45 of 51
hi, i've been reading up on these headphones and i am quite interested in them as mentioned there are many favourable reviews for them over other top dynamic headphones.

one query however, it has been mentioned at several posts on this thread that they're $300 cans. i've been looking at prices and i can only find them for around US$400 mark? where is it that everyone is buying them for $300?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back