Cans with "big" soundstage?
Aug 31, 2005 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

kramer5150

Headphoneus Supremus
Curious... from a physics standpoint, in the mid-fi range under $300...

Why is it that Big sounding, spatious headphones, that exhibit an open soundstage tend to be more difficult to drive? Examples... DT880, HD580/600/650, K501.

Why isn't there a mid-level can thats low impedence / high sensitivity can that images "well"?

MDR-F1 comes close but it lacks bass unamped.

Garrett

Aug 31, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Curious... from a physics standpoint, in the mid-fi range under $300...

Why is it that Big sounding, spatious headphones, that exhibit an open soundstage tend to be more difficult to drive? Examples... DT880, HD580/600/650, K501.

Why isn't there a mid-level can thats low impedence / high sensitivity can that images "well"?

MDR-F1 comes close but it lacks bass unamped.

Garrett

Hi Garrett,

Have you considered Audio Technica's headphones? (For example) A900's soundstage has depth but with ralative naturall height and slightly compressed width... but it's more open than the Grados. (IMHO)

Overlunge

Aug 31, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 16
the CD3000 has a very broad soundstage, and can often be found for under $300. it works fairly well unamped, though it's pretty picky. the downsides are that the soundstage isn't particularly deep and the bass isn't particularly big.

Sep 1, 2005 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
the CD3000 has a very broad soundstage, and can often be found for under $300. it works fairly well unamped, though it's pretty picky. the downsides are that the soundstage isn't particularly deep and the bass isn't particularly big.

I did some pretty extensive CD3000 listening this past weekend at virometal's and my mini-meet. I found the bass to be just superb. Round, deep, controlled, and plentiful, without being overwhelming or clouding the rest of the music.

Sep 1, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #5 of 16
whats the difference betweena "broad" and "deep" soundstage?
blink.gif

Sep 1, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #6 of 16
*cough*HD595*cough*

Sep 1, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by glenmorangie
blink.gif

Hi glenmorangie,

To me, it's like X (width), Y (height) and Z (depth) axis of a math graph.

Overlunge

Sep 1, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #8 of 16
Add the HD590 to the list. Can be had for ~$120 refurb'd in the States or <~100 EUR (new) over here.

Sep 1, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #9 of 16
Sony MDR-CD3000s has a wide soundstage. The CD1700 also very nice. The love the depth of the stage on my Senn HD-650 w/ Zu though.

Sep 1, 2005 at 6:01 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge
Hi glenmorangie,

To me, it's like X (width), Y (height) and Z (depth) axis of a math graph.

Overlunge

EDIT: Sorry, double post.

Sep 1, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by glenmorangie
blink.gif

Even in a two channel system, you can, if the recording was well done and your equipment can allow for those fine nuances, clearly get the impression that instruments are not only easily place able from left to right but also in depth and even vertically.

Personally, I always listen to where the timpani’s seem to be. In most orchestras, they are placed in the back and usually in the centre. In many setups they are also elevated in relative the violins.

Sep 1, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #13 of 16
My HD555s (way way under $300) seem to have a big soundstage. They work great for games/movies and none of my musci feels like its playing inside my head. They run great out off of my crappy soundcard.

Sep 1, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
I did some pretty extensive CD3000 listening this past weekend at virometal's and my mini-meet. I found the bass to be just superb. Round, deep, controlled, and plentiful, without being overwhelming or clouding the rest of the music.

i thought that was the case too, until i tried the HP-2, PS-1 and RS-1. i own and very much enjoy my CD3000, but i no longer think they have very good bass. i never considered myself a basshead, but when the bass is big and tight without resulting in a bad midrange or treble, i really like it.

Sep 1, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
i thought that was the case too, until i tried the HP-2, PS-1 and RS-1. i own and very much enjoy my CD3000, but i no longer think they have very good bass. i never considered myself a basshead, but when the bass is big and tight without resulting in a bad midrange or treble, i really like it.

It is amazing how different peoples' perceptions can be. I have the HP3000s from Headphile and, as much as I love them, I came to the opposite conclusion on how they match up to the CD3000s.

Now, on the question of the PS-1's bass, we're in complete agreement
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back