Cans that won't smash my big ears
Oct 17, 2009 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Viscaria

New Head-Fier
I have a fairly large head (to the point that headphones are usually a little small on me on their largest setting) with correspondingly large ears.

I have a pair of Samson RH600 that sound fantastic but are almost very painful to wear more than 30 minutes. I just picked up a pair of Koss Quite Zone QZ PRO, they are nearly as painful, but hurt immediately rather than after listening for a while (also they don't sound great with the noise canceling and sound very hollow with it off) and make my ears very hot to boot.

Can anyone suggest a pair of cans (preferable open back considering m experience with the closed Kosses) that won't smash my big ears? I am looking at the Audio Technica ATHM20 as I have heard good things about them for large heads, but I haven't found any comments on them or other cans about how they work for big ears. I would like to stay under $50.

Oct 17, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #2 of 12
if circumaural headphones and supraaural headphones cause too much pain then use in-ear headphones if your comfortable with that, since it wont hurt your entire ear.
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #3 of 12
I understand that, I was hoping to find circumaural headphones with more ear space. Also, I may be misunderstanding the terminology, but I thought that can implied not in ear.

Oct 17, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #4 of 12
You could try one of the Beyerdynamic DT Series. They have large soft velour cups. The DT770, DT880, and DT990.

Also, Grados with Sennheiser HD414 pads may be a good choice. They do push flat against the ears, but the HD414 pads are very soft and comfy.

Oct 17, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #6 of 12
I don't think you can beat the cd3k? I've got a big head/big ears...I'm cool!
biggrin.gif

stay clear from the Ultrasone and all the other phones using that SkullCandy-like chinese OEM enclosure..these are only good for kids IME.

the DT770 Premium was crushing my ears...and foam contact is NOT cool.

Oct 17, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #9 of 12
Grados have an easy-to-bend design and with some fiddling they can be bent/adjusted so that they put little pressure on anyone's ears. I also have a large head and I find Grados with comfies to be comfortable once adjusted. They also stimulate less sweat than most other headphones I've owned. Try the SR60, used if you can find them, and you won't lose much money if you don't like them.

Mooch

Oct 17, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #10 of 12
The DT150 will fit the largest head and the largest ears.
Otherwise I can recommend a used Sony MDR-CD1700, if you can find one.
Both are closed.
On my cans I use Beyerdynamic leather earpads.
For open headphones, you could try the AKG K 601 and Sennheiser HD580/600.

Oct 18, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #11 of 12
I have found the Senn.s to be the most spacious, the Beyer DT770 a bit smaller, the AT M50 are impossibly small.

Oct 18, 2009 at 10:03 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmoorman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have found the Senn.s to be the most spacious, the Beyer DT770 a bit smaller, the AT M50 are impossibly small.

The various DT770 models are much better for the ear with the leather pads. Those leather pads are wider and deeper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back