Cans that have good synergy with the Gilmore Lite
Jun 21, 2009 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

myk7000

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey I was wondering what cans people have used with the Gilmore Lite to get great results. Any in particular? Grados, senns, denons, ultrasones?

Thanks

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 16
I've persoanlly had very good results with HD800, HD650, and Denon D2000. Very neutral, transparent and detailed, without being cold or harsh. A very underrated amp in my opinion.

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 16
I wouldn't recommend the standard Glimore Class A SS for hi-Z cans on tech specs - Gilmore himself doesn't in the Headwize construction article

http://headwize.com/projects/showfil...lmore3_prj.htm

The circuit wastes Vsupply having been optimized by the designer for 32 Ohm cans

Gilmore recommends higher Vsupply and reworking bias to drive Hi-Z cans

in addition, Justin is using a +/-15V supply - losing a little more V swing vs Gilmore's +/-16V supply for the Low impedance version

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't recommend the standard Glimore Class A SS for hi-Z cans on tech specs - Gilmore himself doesn't in the Headwize construction article

HeadWize - Project: A Pure Class A Dynamic Headphone Amplifier by Kevin Gilmore

The circuit wastes Vsupply having been optimized by the designer for 32 Ohm cans

Gilmore recommends higher Vsupply and reworking bias to drive Hi-Z cans

in addition, Justin is using a +/-15V supply - losing a little more V swing vs Gilmore's +/-16V supply for the Low impedance version

Really? So all of HeadAmp's Dynalo implementations (Gilmore Lite, GS-1, GS-X) are only good for Grado's???

In any case, I really like how they drive my Senns, expecially HD800...

Jun 21, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #5 of 16
Seeing that HeadAmp show it off with a Grado RS1 I would not be surprised if they have good synergy.

Jun 21, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #6 of 16
Why do think Gilmore went on to build the "DynaHi" amps?

http://headwize.com/projects/showfil...lmore3_prj.htm

the GS-X balanced output doubles the V swing with a total of 4 of the "Dynalo" boards and would cleanly drive 300 Ohm Senns to real world music levels without clipping

You certainly can enjoy amp/headphone pairings with lower dynamic headroom depending on your musical tastes

Jun 21, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's true if you are using the wallwart but the DPS puts out +/-16v.

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #9 of 16
I'm currently using HeadAmp GS-1, and it is really good with Senns. I have heard Senns on other very good amps (solid state, hybrid, tube), and the GS-1 does not in any way lack in bass quality at all. Did Justin make some changes to the original Dynalo design with his HeadAmp amps?

Jun 22, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #11 of 16
If you listen to very dynamic music at near live levels then the Gilmore Lite could clip occasionally on peaks with high Z cans due to the limited V out swing of 5.3 Vrms

It is entirely possible to enjoy the DynaLo with with Hi-Z cans if you listen at lower levels - as you should if you use them many hrs/day

but as an occacsional treat I will "Rock Out" at realisitic levels for a short listening session

If you only listen to recent popular music which has had its dynamic range squashed by the "Loudness Wars" where even 10 dB peak to ave SPL range is considered high then your hearing will not be able to stand the levels that the Dynalo/Gilmore Lite can reach cleanly with Hi-Z, lower sensitivity cans

Jun 22, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently using HeadAmp GS-1, and it is really good with Senns. I have heard Senns on other very good amps (solid state, hybrid, tube), and the GS-1 does not in any way lack in bass quality at all. Did Justin make some changes to the original Dynalo design with his HeadAmp amps?

I have a Dynalo with LM317/LM337 PSU as well (almost identical configuration to GS-1 internally) and sure it does sound good with HD600/HD650, that does not mean that the amp can swing to full voltage to requirements of the headphones. I don't believe HeadAmp did anything different from the Dynalo design, though he does replace trimpots with real resistors which is a nice practice that few people actually do.

This seems to be really nitpicking - sure the Dynalo can swing about 6V and sure the HD650 can handle about 10V, it's still a killer amp, just not optimal for high-impedance headphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So does that mean low impedance cans are best used with the gilmore lite?

Thus Senns and Beyers wouldn't work well?

Yes, lower impedance are more suited for the amp. Whether Sennheiser or BeyerDynamic "wouldn't work well" is another story - I don't think you'll find a "better sounding" amp for most headphones (yes, including high-impedance) than this at the same price. Again, really nitpicking here - I really wouldn't get held up on the voltage swing of this amp, it sounds good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back