Cans for begginers (100$)
Feb 20, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Okenezak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Grado SR-80s can be found on Amazon for $95 new as well (instead of $120):

Amazon.com: SR80: Electronics

I'll add another vote for the SR-80s, great headphones with great sound. They do get more comfortable as they get "broken in" too.

Shipping alone is 21$. Over my budget.
frown.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyx1992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shipping alone is 21$. Over my budget.
frown.gif

Would the 20% off, $75 ones work? I don't know where you're shipping to, but if it's still ~$20, then it'll fall sub-$100 including shipping.

Feb 20, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Okenezak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would the 20% off, $75 ones work? I don't know where you're shipping to, but if it's still ~$20, then it'll fall sub-$100 including shipping.

I just checked and the Grado SR80s shipped via UPS would be 102$, I think I could live with the 2$ exception
biggrin.gif

Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention.
I'll go listen to the Grado's, and then decide if I want to buy them. But please, feel free to suggest more cans.

Feb 20, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #19 of 31
you may have to wait around the fs forums for a bit, but they will show up. I mainly listen to folk rock too, and grados gave me the sensation that i could almost reach out and feel the texture of an acoustic guitar (hard to explain, but its like you can taste it) (this will happen more and more the greater you explore audio equipment). If you cant find the grados (also check out the allesandro series MS1, 99$, but im not sure about shipping; like a facelifted grado sr60, so i hear) you could think about the Koss portapros. I really liked these when i demoed them, and am probably going to pick up a pair as a walking around headphone. Theyre about 50$, and could hold you over untill you can pick up some Grados.

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #20 of 31
I listen primarily to classic rock, and formerly owned the SR80, the worst headphone experience I ever had. But that likely was due in part to the source equipment that I used, a cheap CD player and FM radio from a receiver.

Grados certainly are not for everyone, despite what posts from some of the Grado fanboys indicate. Choosing a Grado is a risk like choosing any other headphones, even if for rock music. It's a matter of synergy and preference. Grados may or may not be enjoyed or preferred over other similarly priced headphones with "your" equipment.

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen primarily to classic rock, and formerly owned the SR80, the worst headphone experience I ever had. But that likely was due in part to the source equipment that I used, a cheap CD player and FM radio from a receiver.

Grados certainly are not for everyone, despite what posts from some of the Grado fanboys indicate. Choosing a Grado is a risk like choosing any other headphones, even if for rock music. It's a matter of synergy and preference. Grados may or may not be enjoyed or preferred over other similarly priced headphones with "your" equipment.

I agree. I found the Grado SR60s overly emphasized highs and upper mids annoying on every source I've tried them on. The AD700 was a much better match for me, even for rock music.

Feb 20, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #24 of 31
I have the big brother to the 555, the senn 595 and really don't like it very much. I think the grado sr60 is much better for your preferences. I strongly prefer listening to the sr60, especially on floyd and classic rock.
Haven't heard the sr80 or the 555.

Feb 20, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #25 of 31
Grados all the way.

Get the SR-60s and be happy. Under $100 shipped.

Feb 20, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #26 of 31
Well, I'd echo SR80 as it's a set of headphones I've been very satisfied with, but I can understand if some prefer others, the downsides I found was that they're not the most comfortable, at least after a longer session of usage which has been pointed out. Also they tend let in a lot of surrounding sounds, which I guess can be both good and bad. But you mentioned you were going to go listen to them, so we'll see then.

This is a bit of an odd one to recommend I guess, but a while ago I listened to the Plantronics DSP500 USB headset, it sounded absolutely brilliant imo and had that comfortability that made one able to wear them for hours and hours without noticing them. Sure it's a headset and it's usb with a digital signal processor - but if you happen to come across them, do give them a chance. I think they're within your budget too.

Feb 21, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #28 of 31
Go for the Grado SR-80's. Given the sale at Music Direct, you might want to spluge on the Grado SR-125's. These cans are easy to drive. They do well sans amplification. Better with a Fii0 E5 (really fine and cheap). Yes, go Grado. My favourite cans are Grado 325i's. And I'm still fond of my entry level Grado SR-60's.

Feb 21, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kjettar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alessandro High-End Products: Music Series Headphones

Alessandro MS-1 are even better than SR-80 for the artists you listen to. They are 99$ with free shipping on Alessandro website.

They are more neutral and bring out more detail than SR-80.

Dito above - love my MS1's..and can't beat $99.00 shipped new - or keep an eye on head-fi for upscale used grados or equivalent - I just picked up a pair of cable/plug modded Grado Sr 125's with mesh speaker guards and nice beyer headband for a mere $55.00 - you'd be surprised at some of the deals from the good folks that hang around this site.

Feb 21, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #30 of 31
^ It was you that got them?
Just go with the MS1s they're probably easier to ship to Israel than spending hours finding a deal on Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back