CanOpener?
Jul 26, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #151 of 270
Hey all,

The CanOpener Studio plug-in beta is now live for you to test drive. If you use Audio Unit plug-ins, you can download it here: http://goodhertz.co/

Also, for precise EQ'ing, I think a lot of you would appreciate another plug-in in beta called Tone Control: based on the classic Baxandall tone circuit, 
refined and expanded.

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #152 of 270

This was our exact intention!

Here's a little more info on the HiFi pack:

In CanOpener 1.2 we improved the FLAC section and added support for other non-FLAC file types via iTunes File Sharing — so for the first time, users could load 192kHz / 24 bit wave/aiff or FLAC files in CanOpener. Since all iPhones currently only support up to 48kHz playback, anything above 48k will automatically get sample rate converted in realtime. Looking at how the built-in SRC was performing, we saw a lot of room for improvement, and we also noticed that we could improve the audio quality slightly in blind tests by adding a dithering component in our DSP. So we began working on our own dithering and SRC algorithm that would be suitable for CanOpener (both in terms of sound quality and iPhone CPU demands). The main purpose of the HiFi pack is to give pro users more control of those features.

The dither algorithm is intended to be be always 'On' for most listening situations, and it will adapt if an external DAC is used with CanOpener (we found a lower dither amount suitable for 24 bit external DACs). Some beta testers asked to have the option to turn the dither 'Off' altogether when they were using an external DAC or digital output for comparison, or just to save battery life, so we made that an option in the HiFi pack.

The HQ SRC is among the best out there, whereas the standard quality SRC is more of a compromise between CPU usage and quality, but still quite good. The HiFi pack gives users the option to choose which SRC is used, since some users are very concerned about battery life, while others want the highest possible quality when listening to FLAC or high sample rate audio files.

Hope this helps!

Can you give a little more detail on when the sample rate conversion and dither come into play?  I'm trying to understand how the HIFI pack may help.

-Let's say I connect the iphone/ipad up to a 192khz 24 bit capable DAC, I assume no sample rate conversion is necessary.  Does that mean the SRC won't be used?  

-Will CanOpener send the audio stream at source file sample rate and resolution if the DAC supports it?  Or does it resample to some specific sample rate depending on the device?  (A source file and actual output sample rate display would help here)

-Where is the Dither being used in the audio pipeline?  How will turning it on/off help?

-I'm hoping if I have the device connected to an outboard DAC, and have all the processing (eq, crossfeed, clipping prevention) disabled, it would send a bitperfect stream to the DAC.  Is this happening?

-I noticed even if I have eq set flat and crossfeed set to none, the bypass setting sounds different.  Why is this?

Thanks! 

Aug 5, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #153 of 270

Can you give a little more detail on when the sample rate conversion and dither come into play?  I'm trying to understand how the HIFI pack may help.

-Let's say I connect the iphone/ipad up to a 192khz 24 bit capable DAC, I assume no sample rate conversion is necessary.  Does that mean the SRC won't be used?  

-Will CanOpener send the audio stream at source file sample rate and resolution if the DAC supports it?  Or does it resample to some specific sample rate depending on the device?  (A source file and actual output sample rate display would help here)

-Where is the Dither being used in the audio pipeline?  How will turning it on/off help?

-I'm hoping if I have the device connected to an outboard DAC, and have all the processing (eq, crossfeed, clipping prevention) disabled, it would send a bitperfect stream to the DAC.  Is this happening?

-I noticed even if I have eq set flat and crossfeed set to none, the bypass setting sounds different.  Why is this?

Thanks!

Having Dither off just helps your battery life, it's intended to be on most of the time. I'm not sure about anything else tho.

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #155 of 270
  The CanOpener frequency response is compensated to an extent. It was designed to be consistent with the natural warmth that loudspeakers exhibit in a real room, but it definitely can be more noticeable on already warm headphones like the HD650's. Something like -1.5 dB on the Bass EQ @ 800 Hz would be a good starting point to compensate for any added low end, though it depends highly on the program material so it would require tweaking by ear. Otherwise, I'll look at providing a true compensation option — thanks!

In other news, we're making good on one of our most frequent user requests: CanOpener will be available as a Mac audio plug-in soon: http://blog.goodhertz.com/post/91889772186/canopener-studio

So even when the EQ is flat, there is a hidden bass boost baked in?

Aug 16, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #157 of 270
Are you guys hearing linearity or do you guys feel the compensation isn't correct? Because there isn't a universal compensation method.  Also is there any detail loss from EQ?  

Aug 19, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #158 of 270
That's what I don't like about this app, there is an apparent bass boost when it is used when there is no EQ and crossfeed is enabled, heck I think even without the crossfeed

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #159 of 270
I love this app! I highly recommend it.

I request Havi B3, Mikros 90, and Onkyo FC300 profiles. Thank you.

Aug 28, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #160 of 270
Just downloaded to my iPad Air and enjoying playing with the crossfade options. This is nice stuff, listening to Black Sabbath Black Sabbath, and it makes a huge difference in opening up the sound stage. Lots of other tracks to try out...

Any headphones y'all would like to see added in the next release? — we're getting pretty close to a major update soon.

Please add Audio-Technical ATH-ES10!

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #161 of 270
Please add Audio-Technical ATH-ES10!

Adding your own 'phone is easy to add if you have the specification to hand. Canopener only needs the impedance and sensitivity values.

This also has the advantage of putting your cans at the head of the list of 'phones. I have to acknowledge this is only a small advantage when yours start with an "A".

Edit: having said it is "easy" I am struggling to find either value for the Beats Solo2 headphones I am auditioning at the moment.

Aug 29, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #162 of 270
Adding your own 'phone is easy to add if you have the specification to hand. Canopener only needs the impedance and sensitivity values.

This also has the advantage of putting your cans at the head of the list of 'phones. I have to acknowledge this is only a small advantage when yours start with an "A".

Add the HP/IEM you actually own as Favorites, and they'll show up first with the non-favorited HP/IEM following.

Aug 30, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #163 of 270
Edit: having said it is "easy" I am struggling to find either value for the Beats Solo2 headphones I am auditioning at the moment.

I remembered last night that I had bought the Solo2 after reading Tyll's review on Innerfidelity.

Sure enough when I look at his measurements I read that the impedance is 33 ohms.

Now could someone here help me convert his sensitivity figures of 40mV for 90dB SPL (0.05mW for 90dB SPL) into the dB/mW or dB/V at 1KHz figure that Canopener requires?

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #164 of 270
I remembered last night that I had bought the Solo2 after reading Tyll's review on Innerfidelity.

Sure enough when I look at his measurements I read that the impedance is 33 ohms.

Now could someone here help me convert his sensitivity figures of 40mV for 90dB SPL (0.05mW for 90dB SPL) into the dB/mW or dB/V at 1KHz figure that Canopener requires?

Sure, 20 times more power than 0.05 mW is 1 mW. 20 times the value is 10*log10(20) = 13 dB more. So that's 90 + 13 = 103 dB SPL for 1 mW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back