CanOpener?
Aug 20, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #256 of 270
  Anyone using Canopener Studio on OSX?  I'm using it in Audirvana and simply can't listen to headphones without it anymore and I've tried all the others.

I'm currently trialling the OSX audio unit through Audirvana as well. First impressions so far are that it's very good. Going to need some more time to evaluate. 

Aug 28, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #257 of 270
I've given this app plenty of chances in the past, not thinking much ofit, but now the penny has dropped!

And I didn't have to drop any further pennies beyond the initial price of admission too - thanks guys ! The HiFi pack is now free for all. :)

I noticed a palpable difference in audio quality, even with 320 kpbs mp3 files.

The crossfeed feature has opened up the soundstage of my Shure SE846s very nicely. And I'm of the thinking this is no toy when Guns N' Roses finally sounds as they should. In Apple's own music app, this was the one band that sounded "bad" in terms of presentation. This makes me very happy.

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #259 of 270
I keep getting the warning that the app has to get updated/slowing down iOS and recently emailed goodhertz with no reply.  Any news about them updating so that it can keep working with iOS as it is updated?

Jun 15, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #260 of 270
Just to update this thread: I have iPhone 5S on iOS v10.3.2 (the latest as of today) and CanOpener v1.30 still works great!

Though it says "No longer supported - made available for legacy devices only." at the App Store - this is the only iOS app/player I found that has crossfeed.

Crossfeed rocks. :beyersmile:

Aug 14, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #262 of 270
I was surprised to see CanOpener in the App Store this morning. Does this mean there is hope for an update? With MusicKit it would be amazing if CanOpener was updated to play tracks from Apple Music.

Aug 16, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #263 of 270
I was surprised to see CanOpener in the App Store this morning. Does this mean there is hope for an update? With MusicKit it would be amazing if CanOpener was updated to play tracks from Apple Music.

Sadly the app description now says:

" ** No longer supported - made available for legacy devices only ** "

Dream over !

Apr 4, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #265 of 270
EQ breaks bit-perfect so it would break Tidal MQA.

Oct 26, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #268 of 270
I remember Can Opener, that app was legendary.

FYI. I don't know if someone posted this already but Goodhertz has a Canopener audio-effect plugin that can be used for various audio programs that essentially does the same thing as the old IOS app.

Sound Source on MacOS is a program that can use the Canopener plugin to change the audio directly in MacOS's mixer so the effects can be used with any audio playback program. I use it with Apple music.

A little off subject but MacOS also has a little app that changes the OS mixer's sample rate to the audio that is being played. Called Lossless Switcher.

https://goodhertz.com/

https://rogueamoeba.com/soundsource/

https://github.com/vincentneo/LosslessSwitcher

Just throwing out this info incase anyone wants to experience that CanOpener sound again. I discovered all of this a couple months ago and it sounds amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back