CanOpener?
May 19, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #107 of 270
Hi,

just bought it yesterday while searching for a possibility to have crossfeed directly on the iphone and now find this thread. I added the MA900 and the Stage 3 and it works very good, makes a lot of songs much more enjoyable and is a very nice player too.

First I missed the possibility to create playlists directly and adding songs while I'm hearing but then I found a workaround, adding songs to the playlist in the apple app will show the songs in canopener too.

The only thing I'm realy missing is the possiblity to fill a rearange "input queue" while I'm hearing the songs in it instead of using playlist.

A very good app, thank You very much.

Regards Michael
(I hope my english is understandable...)

May 23, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #109 of 270
  Hi,

just bought it yesterday while searching for a possibility to have crossfeed directly on the iphone and now find this thread. I added the MA900 and the Stage 3 and it works very good, makes a lot of songs much more enjoyable and is a very nice player too.

First I missed the possibility to create playlists directly and adding songs while I'm hearing but then I found a workaround, adding songs to the playlist in the apple app will show the songs in canopener too.

The only thing I'm realy missing is the possiblity to fill a rearange "input queue" while I'm hearing the songs in it instead of using playlist.

A very good app, thank You very much.

Regards Michael
(I hope my english is understandable...)

Hi Michael, 

Thanks so much! Glad you're liking it.

Unfortunately, Apple doesn't give us the ability to create playlists, though we could make playlists locally within CanOpener itself (they just wouldn't be available anywhere else) — would that help in your case?

May 23, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #110 of 270
  CanOpener app running on iPad2/iOS6, connected via Apple CCK, and ADL Formula2 USB cable to an LH Labs GO1000 (EM) DAC/Headphone amp.

24bit/192kHz native sample rate file.

A powered USB hub is also needed as the DAC draws too much power to run from the iPad's own battery.

Whoa, this is rad!

May 23, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #111 of 270
I still don't know, I just prefer the UI on the Denon club app so much more, I wish I could combine the two. Also, New denon headphones should be added. They're pretty popular.

May 24, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #112 of 270
Just bought out the whole canopener app. I'd highly recommend the pencil EQ, it sounds so so clean and so natural with the HiFi pack using 320mp3, ALAC or FLAC.
I'm using V-MODA M100s with XL pads, the sound coming out of it is amazing. I was never a portable amp guy, I love DACs but CanOpener gives me a clean sound without the bulk. It's totally replaced the need for the stock music app.

Speaker+ is amazing even though it seems the off switch degrades the audio as if they need to prove that speaker+ is better, could be just me. When I do gym I put on speaker+ and it fills the room more and has less distortion.
devkerr has turned CanOpener from what could of been a toy into something that I use everyday and even my girlfriend, a person who could be less of an audiophile, agrees that canopener is better than the stock music app :O
Kudos to you! :D
#ditheralwaysoff :wink:

consider this a non-bias rave review

May 24, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #113 of 270

Hi Michael, 

Thanks so much! Glad you're liking it.

Unfortunately, Apple doesn't give us the ability to create playlists, though we could make playlists locally within CanOpener itself (they just wouldn't be available anywhere else) — would that help in your case?

Thank you for Your answer.

Because I can edit the normal playlists with the standard audio app this is OK for me.

For listening music I prefer another concept, that of a temporary queue like for example poweramp on android has, maybe comparable to the Itunes up next list. While listening a song I walk through the albums and when I find something I add it to the queue and sometimes change the order in the queue or delete a song.

May 26, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #114 of 270
Just bought out the whole canopener app. I'd highly recommend the pencil EQ, it sounds so so clean and so natural with the HiFi pack using 320mp3, ALAC or FLAC.
I'm using V-MODA M100s with XL pads, the sound coming out of it is amazing. I was never a portable amp guy, I love DACs but CanOpener gives me a clean sound without the bulk. It's totally replaced the need for the stock music app.

Speaker+ is amazing even though it seems the off switch degrades the audio as if they need to prove that speaker+ is better, could be just me. When I do gym I put on speaker+ and it fills the room more and has less distortion.
@devkerr has turned CanOpener from what could of been a toy into something that I use everyday and even my girlfriend, a person who could be less of an audiophile, agrees that canopener is better than the stock music app :O
Kudos to you!
biggrin.gif

#ditheralwaysoff
wink.gif

consider this a non-bias rave review

Thanks for the great review!

Glad you like Speaker+. Just to clarify, we're not doing anything to degrade the sound in "Off" position — we would never do something like that. On most of the phones it's plenty degraded already :) 

Cheers,
Devin

May 26, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #115 of 270

Thank you for Your answer.

Because I can edit the normal playlists with the standard audio app this is OK for me.

For listening music I prefer another concept, that of a temporary queue like for example poweramp on android has, maybe comparable to the Itunes up next list. While listening a song I walk through the albums and when I find something I add it to the queue and sometimes change the order in the queue or delete a song.

Queue functionality is definitely on our radar — thanks!

May 31, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #116 of 270
A company called Good Hertz has just released an IOS app called CanOpener ( http://canopenerapp.com ) that adds crossfeed and equalization. It seems to have some real nice features,fully adjustable angle and percentage on crossfeed, a fairly deep equalization program and presets for both.

Does anyone know how good it is? I'm new to crossfeeding and so while I can tell its interesting, I don't know if its high quality. I bought it, if for no other reason than to support anyone trying to keep the iPhone a decent music player, but I'd like to know what I got.

I only thought to see if there was a thread about Can Opener just now, and to my surprise and delight...I see that there is - AND many a reply from Devin Kerr, the 'brains' behind the app.

I'm really glad to see the app getting some ink. I was fortunate enough to have met Devin a while back and worked with him a bit on this app during its formative stages. In fact, he used my Neumann KU100 mannequin head microphone (once owned by Tchad Blake) for some of the headphone measurement and research work that went into this app.

Devin's one VERY bright cat - we had some really good conversations about measurement methodology and subsequent analysis of the data generated, and I'm sure the release and subsequent tweaks have done nothing but make the product better, and better.

Mark

Jun 2, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #117 of 270
Hi devkerr,

I just bought the app - nice UI and sound!

Problem:  I'm using an iPhone 4S on the latest version of iOS, but when I play 24/192 FLAC files, I hear them in 'slow motion'.  I read on iTunes this was fixed an ealier version, but I'm on the latest CanOpener version and still get this.

Do you have any suggestions to fix this?  Or would it need to be fixed on a future release?

Note:  I don't have the HIFI upgrade - but I don't think it's a requirement for this or is it?  I didn't see it listed on the description.

Thanks!

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #118 of 270
So I accidentally found out that the app crashes when i have my music files more than 12.53gb (exact value unknown).
What I did was :
1. Using iTunes, I went into the app to transfer my flac files.
2. Transferring my whole files(at about 16gb), the app crashes when I start it.
3. I tried to transfer by small batches and then also transferred one by one to see the limit of it.
4. My final value was 12.53gb.

Adding mp3 files doesn't seem to affect the file size. The app takes a long time to load (probably it needs to refresh everything everytime I start it). And refreshing inside the app crashes it immediately.

And sometimes the app crashes randomly. The fix was to go way lower than 12.53gb. 

Can anybody confirm that this is only happens to me? I'm using iPod Touch 5th Gen btw.

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #119 of 270

Users who are viewing this thread

Back