Cannot decide between a900 or dt 770
Dec 14, 2012 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

sajprj

New Head-Fier
Hey there, I'm a bit of a noob here, but I am looking for a new pair of headphones.

Things I must have:

Comfort
Portability (to an extent)
Good sound, a little bit extra bass, but I can live without it.
Isolation/sound leakage - I really don't want my folks to hear what I'm listening to.
Good enough for gaming (soundstage). I should be able to hear footsteps/ pin point gun fire
My budget is around 200 (probably gonna buy used or refurbished), but I'm willing to go a bit higher, if needed.
I am not really looking for an amp. It will mostly be for desktop Usage, and I already have a dedicated sound card, but I might take me on long bus rides, or airplane rides, or train rides, or car rides.

I listen to mostly hip-hop, rap, dub step, electronic, and the occasional classical or country.

I've been searching through the forums, and I've narrowed my search down to the
Beyerdynamic Dt-770 pro 80 ohm (or the 250ohm version)

What are the high points of this item?
I have heard that it has really overpowering bass, and it drowns out some of the mids, and it is really hard to drive from a mobile device (the 250 ohm)
Any of those true?

Also the a900,
They have decent bass, but not as much as the 770's, easier to drive, but it is not as isolating.

I'm kind of leaning toward the 770's because of the movie watching, all the bass and explosions will enhance my experience, but when I listen to music the mids will be too drowned out for me to hear. Can a equalizer fix that problem?

If there are any other headphones you would suggest (besides the m50), thanks.

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
Hey there, I'm a bit of a noob here, but I am looking for a new pair of headphones.
Things I must have:
Comfort
Portability (to an extent)
Good sound, a little bit extra bass, but I can live without it.
Isolation/sound leakage - I really don't want my folks to hear what I'm listening to.
Good enough for gaming (soundstage). I should be able to hear footsteps/ pin point gun fire
My budget is around 200 (probably gonna buy used or refurbished), but I'm willing to go a bit higher, if needed.
I am not really looking for an amp. It will mostly be for desktop Usage, and I already have a dedicated sound card, but I might take me on long bus rides, or airplane rides, or train rides, or car rides.
I listen to mostly hip-hop, rap, dub step, electronic, and the occasional classical or country.
I've been searching through the forums, and I've narrowed my search down to the
Beyerdynamic Dt-770 pro 80 ohm (or the 250ohm version)
What are the high points of this item?
I have heard that it has really overpowering bass, and it drowns out some of the mids, and it is really hard to drive from a mobile device (the 250 ohm)
Any of those true?
Also the a900,
They have decent bass, but not as much as the 770's, easier to drive, but it is not as isolating.
I'm kind of leaning toward the 770's because of the movie watching, all the bass and explosions will enhance my experience, but when I listen to music the mids will be too drowned out for me to hear. Can a equalizer fix that problem?
If there are any other headphones you would suggest (besides the m50), thanks.

Usually it's the case with 80 ohm, not the 250. IMO the DT770/80 has a strong bass but not to the point disturbing the mids. Both ( 80 / 250 ohm ) definitely need an amp.

I think DT770/80 will be a good choice for your criteria

Users who are viewing this thread

Back