CanMania 2014 @ Capital Audiofest: Impressions & Reports
Jul 25, 2014 at 10:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 123
Here we go fellas, post 'em if ya got 'em! 
smile.gif

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 123

I spent all day at CanMania today, with a few detours into speakers-for-the-rich-world.
dt880smile.png
  First of all--kudos to the organizers for putting together such a great show, I'm amazed at sheer amount of head-fi gear in one place. If you're even remotely thinking about coming, it's worth the trip.  The vendors all seem to be genuinely nice people and have brought tons of goodies.  I just want to get down a few initial impressions, and will write more after the meet tomorrow.

There's a lot of new (and very good) head-fi gear. Some of the standouts for me are---

HiFiMan--  The HE-400i and HE-560 are big upgrades from the HE-400/HE500 in every area. Nice design, great comfort, super lightweight, and refined sound signatures. Am I selling my LCD-X's? No, but I'll probably pick up a 400i for work as a nice change from my HD-650s. I haven't auditioned long enough to say much about the signatures, other than the 560 is more HE-6-ish and the 400i is a notch richer and warmer sounding without the tizziness of the 400. For $500, the 400i is a headfi bargain.  Hard to argue against ordering a set of either one of these cans.

Oppo -- The PM-1/2 are beautiful designs and very comfortable. The signature is darker and warmer than my current preference, but these are worth a listen. The PM-2 is the "budget" version, but the finish is still very nice--and with the same transducer as the PM-1--the sweet spot IMHO. The HA-1 is the Swiss army knife of amp/dac combos and is worth some very serious consideration. It does a very credible job feeding the LCD-Xs (and the PM-1/2s of course) with no hint of harshness. Not the ultimate in soundstage or dynamics, but super for the price.

Astell&Kern -- The AK240 is pure wow. Tremendous sound quality out of a very small package. I love the interface, design, and build quality. Powering the LCD-XCs, X's, or their custom-flavored universal Roxannes--it makes for a nice package. Even the HD800s sound pretty decent.

Woo Audio-- The WA22 was the star for me at the Woo booth. Nice balance of detail and dynamics with the X, HD800, and Alpha Dogs. WA7 with power supply--ok, but lacking in some refinement with the Xs to my ears.

Mr. Speakers-- Never liked the Mad Dogs, but go Alpha Dogs!  Very comfortable and nicely balanced sound for a closed can. Lots of vendors had a pair and they sound good with a lot of amps.

Moon Audio (pic above)--They brought a ton of gear. Hands-down winner is the Cary CAD-300SEI integrated amp. Outstanding detail, dynamics and soundstage with the X's and HE-6. A stock unit is $5500 and the show model is upgraded to full time Class A+other goodies, so maybe $6K-ish? In a class of it's own, though. BMC PureDAC really rocked the X's--great synergy, very clean with good dynamics and no harshness. Wish it had a regular volume knob, but otherwise first-rate.

Lots more--to be continued......

Jul 25, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 123
  The LCD-3 at the Woo Audio table killed me, killed me dead.

LOL!  If that's the new LCD-3 (w/Fazor) then I haven't even heard it yet. 
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Barry S /img/forum/go_quote.gif

First of all--kudos to the organizers for putting together such a great show, I'm amazed at sheer amount of head-fi gear in one place.

I concur!  I helped out where I could but Frank I did most of the heavy lifting.  Great job Frank!
beerchug.gif

Originally Posted by Barry S /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Astell&Kern -- The AK240 is pure wow. Tremendous sound quality out of a very small package. I love the interface, design, and build quality. Powering the LCD-XCs, X's, or their custom-flavored universal Roxannes--it makes for a nice package. Even the HD800s sound pretty decent.

I completely agree! 
smile.gif
  I know a lot of people like to pair it with a Chord Hugo, but I found it perfectly fine all by itself.

Moon Audio (pic above)--They brought a ton of gear. Hands-down winner is the Cary CAD-300SEI integrated amp. Outstanding detail, dynamics and soundstage with the X's and HE-6. A stock unit is $5500 and the show model is upgraded to full time Class A+other goodies, so maybe $6K-ish? In a class of it's own, though. BMC PureDAC really rocked the X's--great synergy, very clean with good dynamics and no harshness. Wish it had a regular volume knob, but otherwise first-rate.

LOL, LOLOLOL, I forgot to warn y'all about that.  Unlike other manufacturers who just bring select items from their current line, Moon Audio has a TON OF GEAR on display!  Whereas everyone else is a boutique, Moon's table is a whole shopping mall unto itself.  So make sure to plan accordingly... i.e. don't think you're just going to spend 30 minutes there like every other table.  Moon's table could easily occupy half the day for you.

Thanks for the update. Is anyone from Noble Audio present aka Brannan or other?

Yup, Brannan is there.  Don't think Moulton made it, but I know Brannan is there.

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #9 of 123
Impressions part 2.

I haven't even mentioned the best gear at the show, so in no particular order---

Cypher Labs--  The new Prautes headphone amp impressed me with the sound and design. Unfortunately, the two units at the show got creamed by the shipper, but one is working. Both the LCD-3 and X sounded very lively and controlled. There's an adjustable subtle bass emphasis control and the amps impedance is adjustable--so you can do some sound shaping to tune the signature. Very intriguing piece of gear and a must-listen.

Fred and Bob at the Stereodesk/Profundo table have some world class amps at their table. I'd never heard of any of their lines until the show, but they're all top notch (and mostly top price). First off, the Mal Valve is one of the best amps I've ever heard. This is a $6000+ German tube amp that also powers electrostatics. It takes the LCD-3 to a new level--super musical, effortless, finely detailed, without even a hint of any harshness. Man, do I want one. There was an enormous Viva Audio tube amp with tubes the size of puppies. I think it was around $10K, and insanely good with the LCD-3/X, like warm honey. Finally a Crayon Audio amp, that defines a benchmark for a solid state amp. Another $10K amp that sounds super clean and relaxed with the LCD-3/X.  All three of these amps push the musicality, dynamics, and soundstage of the Audezes to a level beyond anything I've heard previously.

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #10 of 123
I had a great time today!  A lot of cool stuff, wish I could come back tomorrow, but I'll be teaching kayaking on the Potomac. Some great gear and a ton of great headphones, amps and gear. Some off the charts speaker systems. Totally worth going. Really enjoyed the Audeze, HE, Mad Dog and Woo products today among others. Too much to get to in just a couple of hours.

Enjoy!

Jul 26, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #11 of 123
Impressions part 2.

I haven't even mentioned the best gear at the show, so in no particular order---

Cypher Labs--  The new Prautes headphone amp impressed me with the sound and design. Unfortunately, the two units at the show got creamed by the shipper, but one is working. Both the LCD-3 and X sounded very lively and controlled. There's an adjustable subtle bass emphasis control and the amps impedance is adjustable--so you can do some sound shaping to tune the signature. Very intriguing piece of gear and a must-listen.

Fred and Bob at the Stereodesk/Profundo table have some world class amps at their table. I'd never heard of any of their lines until the show, but they're all top notch (and mostly top price). First off, the Mal Valve is one of the best amps I've ever heard. This is a $6000+ German tube amp that also powers electrostatics. It takes the LCD-3 to a new level--super musical, effortless, finely detailed, without even a hint of any harshness. Man, do I want one. There was an enormous Viva Audio tube amp with tubes the size of puppies. I think it was around $10K, and insanely good with the LCD-3/X, like warm honey. Finally a Crayon Audio amp, that defines a benchmark for a solid state amp. Another $10K amp that sounds super clean and relaxed with the LCD-3/X.  All three of these amps push the musicality, dynamics, and soundstage of the Audezes to a level beyond anything I've heard previously.

Stereodesk people were great. The he-6 sounds fabulous on the crayon. He-6 sounded good on mal valve too on jazz, but not sure if there is enough headroom for more complex music, but maybe. Clean sound. Best sounding amps in the room.

Jul 26, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #12 of 123
So glad you liked them Barry.  As an aside, the Crayon (current production model) and Mal Valve also drive Stax cans, and the Crayon can be ordered in several different configurations.  The Crayon demo we had in today had two 3 pin studio outs (for the Abyss) a 4 pin and a 1/4...we did get an Abyss loaner at the end of the day, just to try out for a few minutes.  The Viva Egoista small puppy tubes are 845s.  Back at it in a few hours.  See  you there. : )

Jul 26, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #13 of 123
was a god day today at CanMania - first hours were slow
then it picked up

most peeps that live here sat Sat. should be good,
and also - cuz all the colleges around here are out - 
that a missed opp
But, we had some fun!!

Jul 26, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #15 of 123
  was a god day today at CanMania - first hours were slow
then it picked up

most peeps that live here sat Sat. should be good,
and also - cuz all the colleges around here are out - 
that a missed opp
But, we had some fun!!

Yo bro, lookin' chill!  
smile.gif
  Tomorrow (or today rather) is the Head-Fi meet, so there should be quite a few peeps there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back