Canker sores (aka mouth ulcers)
Dec 4, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #46 of 54

Quote:
@Xaborus - herpes has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. Herpes ulcers are quite different from canker sores.

Earlier this week I visited the dentist and was told that my gums are inflamed, most likely due to a dry mouth which is probably due to the fact that I usually sleep with my mouth open. To fight the dry mouth, my dentist suggest I use a mouthwash such as Biotene. Apparently Biotene may also help fight against canker sores, so I'll see how it works out.

Ah, okay. Sorry its just been drilled into my head from school. In school we are pretty much brainwashed into becoming paranoid of STD/STI's.

Biotene is great stuff, but gets quite expensive. Have you tried using a waterpick and rinsing with saltwater? You will be blown away at the difference in oral health with a waterpick.

Dec 5, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #47 of 54

Quote:
Canker Sores are strictly intraoral meaning that canker sores occur only within the mouth. They are not contagious meaning they can not be spread from person to person and are not caused by a virus.

Current theories on the causes of canker sores have focused on the immune system. This research suggests that canker sores may be caused by the body's own immune system attacking the cells lining the inside of the mouth. Trauma to the inside of the mouth can trigger an outbreak of canker sores. This trauma includes overzealous tooth brushing, biting your cheek or tongue, and scraping the inside of your mouth with hard or sharp foods (like hard pretzels). Stress is another factor capable of triggering canker sores. We advise those patients susceptible to canker sores to try to reduce the stress in their lives. In today's society this is often easier said than done. Its well worth the effort, however, since reducing stress has other health benefits as well.

Research suggests that reactions to certain food products may be responsible for many cases of canker sores. Among the foods that may cause canker sores in certain people are: nuts, peanut butter, sea food, wheat products, chocolate, and milk. Also implicated as a factor for canker sore occurrence are deficiencies in certain vitamins and minerals - principally B12, iron, and folic acid. Several British studies have shown deficiencies in these levels of vitamins / minerals in a significant number of canker sore sufferers. U.S. studies, however, do not show the same correlation between levels of these vitamins / minerals and canker sore occurrences. One of the most exciting advances has been the establishment of the link between canker sores and an ingredient common to almost all toothpastes. The additive SLS or sodium lauryl sulfate may be a culprit in canker sore formation.

I get them mostly due to scraping the inside of my mouth while eating hard food, if I avoid that they don't surface.

Dec 5, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #49 of 54

Quote:

Quote:
[size=medium]
Diet Recommendation with mouth ulcers home remedy: 
The most recommended diet for mouth ulcers are as follows -​
[/size]

1. [size=medium]
    Fruits – Apple should be eaten as it has bactericidal properties and banana as it prevents gastric ulcers and acts as protectant for internal mucosa.​
    [/size]
  2. [size=medium]
    Yogurt – Consume more yogurt as it contains acidophilus bacteria which can heal and prevent canker sores.​
    [/size]
  3. [size=medium]
    Avoid foods which can exacerbate the condition such a lemon, orange, pineapple, grapefruit, plum, tomato, cherry, walnut, vinegar, chocolate etc.​
    [/size]
  4. [size=medium]
    Moderate intake of meat​
    [/size]
  5. [size=medium]
    Eat more whole grains, green and leafy vegetables as these foods are rich in vitamin B complex.​
    [/size]
  6. [size=medium]
    Reduce alcohol consumption, vinegar, coffee and chewing gum.​
    [/size]
  7. [size=medium]
    Avoids foods containing enough sugar or salt.​
    [/size]
  8. [size=medium]
    Avoid dairy products, oily foods, cakes and candies.​
    [/size]

Thank you and welcome to our forums. I hope you stay for the hobby.

I think he's just here for the herpes.

But to my knowledge, I'll have to agree with the others, canker sores are not related to the herpes virus, whereas cold sores are.

Dec 6, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #50 of 54
i get canker sores occasionally, but never ever a cold sore (the ones outside the mouth)

not that much stress in my personal life... steady diet...no particular trigger so i subscribe to the idea that its trauma based (accidental bite)

remedies:  swishing salt solution is easiest, cheapest, most pain free.  honey applied topically hurts.  otc paste that forms a protective cover over the sore tends to dislodge.  otc gel that numbs the spot isnt affective for longer either.  salt solution it is, but most of the time i actually just live with the annoyance.

on a sidenote im perplexed that with all the incredible advances in medicine, some simple things cant be quite figured out

Dec 7, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #51 of 54
mouth ulcers = herpes
eek.gif

you definitely CAN get them from physical trauma.   i should know, i took a big bite on the side of my mouth, from a faceplant off my bike.
redface.gif

another treatment that works is baking soda, a little on the sore area helps.

Dec 7, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #52 of 54
Aw Lord. Who's the guy guilty for bumpin' this?
evil_smiley.gif

That said, I have (since the original post) been taking Centrum, or some sort of an imitation Centrum produced by a local pharma company. I have since gotten a total amount of 0 canker sores. So that.

Dec 7, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #54 of 54
Canker sores are not herpes, they are in most cases caused by physical trauma to the affected area while the person is under stress or has an immune deficiency that does not allow the sore to heal properly and so it gets inflamed/infected.

Cold sores on the other hand are symptoms of the herpes virus.  The virus is not curable and stays in the nervous system for life.  There are 2 types of the herpes virus, HPV-1 primarily resides on/around the lips while HPV-2 is generally genital.  Both of these types of herpes are easily transferable and to other areas and there have been numerous cases of genital HPV-1 and oral HPV-2 infections.  Moral of the story, it spreads, so take care.  Oh, and the virus sheds and is contagious approximately 5% of the time even when person is asymptomatic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back