Canker sores (aka mouth ulcers)
Feb 14, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #16 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
:facebrick:
Never kissed anyone to date. FAIL?

That sucks.

The sugar trick seems to work pretty well with me, but that could just be placebo effect.

Feb 14, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #17 of 54
Quote:

A kiss isn't necessary to pick something up.

Feb 15, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #18 of 54
I'll get one if I put a hanger in my mouth to button a shirt. I've used Herpicin as soon as it starts to tingle but it still has to run it's course. Keeps it in check before it starts looking like a pepperoni slice.

Feb 15, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #19 of 54
Quote:

With 50 bucks I can ask one of my girls to fix that for you. Extra costs a bit more.

ps. is pimpin' allowed at headfi?

Feb 15, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #20 of 54
From the Chinese perspective, canker sores are caused by some sort of imbalance of "heat" in your body. Apparently every food have some sort of "hot" or "cold" property (like Ying Yang) and if you eat too much "hot" food then canker sores are more likely to break out.

Ever since I was young my mom would tell me to drink lots of water every time I had a break out; and it works like a charm. The sores are gone in usually 2-3 days.

Yeah, I know. It doesn't really make sense. But hey, it works. :p Can't **** with 4000+ years of medical history.

Feb 15, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #21 of 54
Why is it that half of you people are COMPLETELY STUPID and confuse cold sores with a fricken ulcer which is most commonly a bacterial infection of an open wound [bite your mouth etc]. I eat super fast and often mistake my gum for food so I get a lot of ulcers. I can't eat pineapple either or I'll get an ulcer.

Stop giving out advice if you don't know. What's funny is that half of the audio related stuff people give out is probably the same - half isn't right.

Feb 15, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #22 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With 50 bucks I can ask one of my girls to fix that for you. Extra costs a bit more.

ps. is pimpin' allowed at headfi?

That's a different kind of Head-Fi...

Feb 15, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #23 of 54
If we're talking about mouth ulcers (i.e. inside the mouth and typically start life as a cut/abrasion due to over zealous chomping), then there's one remedy (in fact the ONLY remedy) that works for me:

Corsodyl mouthwash - primary purpose is to treat gingivitis, but the fixing of mouth ulcers is a happy byproduct. It has some downsides: can't use it immediately after brushing teeth (active toothpaste ingredients dilute its effectiveness); may stain the teeth if used after drinking tea/coffee etc; and ruins your taste buds while you're taking it (mint flavour is better than regular for minimising this).

But if you can get past those hurdles, then it really does the job - and will prevent the ulcer forming in the first place if you catch it quickly enough after the bite. May be called different things in different countries - the active ingredient is chlorhexidine digluconate.

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #24 of 54
It's interesting that this thread should come up now. Around Thursday of last week I started to feel some pain/sensitivity in some of my teeth (upper right side). I had some dental work done last month and I thought it was related to that, until the pain started spreading to my front teeth and then even my lower teeth. On Saturday I ran my tounge around my mouth and realized I was developing canker sores. It hasn't happened in a while, but depending on where the sore is, it will cause pressure/pain in my teeth.

I usually do get more than one sore at a time, but this time I have six. I have never had this many at once. In addition to the tooth pain, my throat is dry, feels swollen, and it hurts to swallow. This has happened on occasion before depending where and how far back the sore is. And of course, the sores themselves are hurting now. Suffice to say right now I am not a happy camper.

I usually find that the best way to relieve the pain is just by taking pain relievers and waiting it out. As far as the cause, I've given up trying to figure out why I get them. In an earlier post someone suggested they can be caused by lack of sleep. I've never heard that before but I do know that lately of been suffering the worst bout of insomnia of my life.

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #25 of 54
Speaking for yourself?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why is it that half of you people are COMPLETELY STUPID and confuse cold sores with a fricken ulcer which is most commonly a bacterial infection of an open wound [bite your mouth etc]. I eat super fast and often mistake my gum for food so I get a lot of ulcers. I can't eat pineapple either or I'll get an ulcer.

Stop giving out advice if you don't know. What's funny is that half of the audio related stuff people give out is probably the same - half isn't right.

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #26 of 54
I only ever get one at a time. And thats enough, they hurt like hell. But I think its funny when they're gone and then one day you're like "where did the pain go?" Haha, life sucks.

-Chris-

Feb 16, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #29 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonWho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get them like once every two-three weeks. Is that a problem?

I believe that's a little bit too much. Check your oral hygiene: brush teeth thoroughly at least twice a day. Maybe change your toothpaste to a model with no SLS (foaming agent, Sensodyne-F has none, is what I use, Da?) as some people are overractive to this. Eat slower and chew more, maybe hard food shreds scratch the interior of your mouth. If your diet is not well balanced, take Centrum (or equivalent multivitamins + minerals). I used to get one at your rate, now I did the above changes and I get one every 2~3 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back